“Appropriate Title”

Ranked #4 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Polynesian Cultural Center, voted the #1 attraction in Hawaii by USA Today, is located along the famous North Shore of Oahu. Explore 42 acres of tropical splendor featuring 6 authentic villages representing the island cultures of Hawaii, Fiji, Aotearoa (New Zealand), Samoa, Tahiti, and Tonga. Mingle with Pacific islanders as they share the majesty of their culture through music, dance and traditional hands-on activities. Our most popular dining option is the award-winning Ali’i Luau. This royal feast blends a delicious array of island and mainland dishes with the excitement of authentic island entertainment from across Polynesia. Finish your adventure though the power of “Ha: Breath of Life,” an action-packed evening show. Ignited by fire, song and dance featuring over 100 Polynesian performers, this story of passion will make this day a truly unforgettable experience. The Polynesian Cultural Center: all of Polynesia in one exciting place.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We started the day with the Circle Island tour and then to the Poly Center. We had a guided tour through the different tribes that make up Polynesia. Each with its own unique customs. Very interesting and informative. We especially like the cultures that used humor and interacted with the crowd. We stayed all day, had the Prime Buffet, wish we had had the Luau though. And we saw the show at the end of the evening which was wonderful! Definitely would recommend this visit but not in conjunction with the Circle Island Tour...too long of a day.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,421)
All reviews
in 434 reviews
"hands on activities"
in 79 reviews

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is one of my favorite places to visit while in Hawaii. It is a must see. Plan on spending all day there and make sure you stay for the Luau and the show after. The people are fantastic and the culture is amazing.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a great attraction in Oahu: don't miss the evening show, with several polynesian cultures showing their best dances and suits

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Polynesian Cultural Center is a very special place on the island of Oahu. The center brings the people of 6 Polynesian cultures together - Hawaii, Samoa, Aotearoa (New Zealand), Fiji, Tonga, and Tahiti plus an early Mormon Settlement. There is also a tribute exhibit to the Marquesas, Rapa Nui (Easter Island), and Iosepa (Utah Ghost Town built for early Hawaiians coming to the main land) There is a canal flowing through the Center which helps to define the distinct areas and flavors of each of the 6 plus cultures represented there. As you tour the each area, there are student guides dressed in native attire to lead you through various exercises that will teach you a little bit about life on their home island.

It was nice to know that my attendance at the center was also helping provide a student with scholarship assistance. According to their pamphlet, more than 70% of the employees at the center are students from BYU which is located behind the center. The center actually resides on BYU land.

While we were there, we met Kap in the Samoan village. It is Kap's picture that you see on many of their postcard climbing the coconut tree or making fire from coconut husk. (He even appears on the TripAdvisor thumbnail photo for this page) We learned Kap came to the Island to attend BYU. He worked at the center while attending college. He went on to graduate obtaining a degree in Art and became a teacher. He still works at the center educating the attendees about the Polynesian Culture with a great sense of humor and pride.

Whatever you do, do not miss his presentation. As I mentioned, he is an artist. Some of his art work is available at the big gift shop near main entrance.

My ticket to the center also included the buffet dinner and the evening show "Ha -The Breath of Life". The story has a Lion King flavor to it (Circle of Life) The dinner was Ok - standard Americana food with some fish choices. But they also offer a Luau dinner which is a bit expensive. I later found out that if you purchased Luau tickets, or come in on one of the tour buses you would get better seats to the evening show Ka. I read a couple reviews saying the Luau food wasn't worth it. So I guess another option would be to see if you could upgrade your evening show tickets for better seats.

I spent the full day there with some teens who found it boring (but isn't everything boring to a teen), some young children (loved it), and my older parents (enjoyed it). It opens at 11am and closed around 10 pm if you stay for the evening show. So prepare for a very full day but take your time, get your money worth, and remember you are helping a student:-)

1  Thank deeliteful0702
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've been to Hawaii many times but I have never visited the Polynesian Cultural Centre. This trip I was with my mum and sister and we decided to visited it. It's a great day but a very long day. We bought the full day package which included park entry bus transfers luau dinner and Ha breath of life show. Upon arrival our bus driver told us that we could pay an extra $25 pp and that would include lunch a a tour guide for the day. I was keen for it but I wasn't hungry as we had just finished a big breakfast at our hotel buffet. Instead I opted to pay just for the guide which was $16pp and it was worth every cent. There was no way we would have seen all the sight and shows in the park without our guide taking us from one place to another, as we arrived the show would start. If you went without a guide there would be a lot of sitting around and waiting and you would only manage to see half of the park. The lagoon cruise was fun and the 230pm lagoon show was excellent. The lauau dinner was the usual buffet but included drinks, non alcoholic of course as this whole place is run by the Mormons, yes, seventh day Adventists. The HA Breath of life show at night time was excellent. We arrive back at our hotel about 1130pm. It was a big day but totally worth it. If you have time, do plan to go but I would not recommend it for children as they would get too bored and too hot and it's not cheap.