“I was lucky to get out with my wallet in one piece”

Polynesian Cultural Center
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Polynesian Cultural Center is one of the most visited destinations in Hawaii! Our beautiful 42 acre park, which sits along the northeast edge of Oahu, features six distinct Polynesian villages, Hawaii, Aotearoa, Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga and Samoa. We offer numerous dining options including daily luaus which provides a delicious island themed buffet and lively entertainment. Our award winning evening show, Ha: Breath of Life features over 100 Polynesian performers, presenting a stirring tale of love, adventure, life and death and featuring championship level fireknife dancers and jaw dropping special effects. We also provide a variety of shops and kiosks offering everything from aloha inspired clothing to quality ukuleles, and island souvenirs to fine jewelry.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a highly-touted and very expensive (tickets for admission, dinner and a show are $127.50 per adult) attraction but I felt like I walked into an expensive money vacuum cleaner were people in fake costumes held together with Velcro tried to get my last dime. On a hot day, they sold water for $3 a bottle. They stopped the nightly show to sell ice cream into the crowd. You even had to walk through a marketplace to get to and from the show. The first half of the show was a bad opera that almost put us to sleep. If they hadn't brought in the fire dancers, we would have nodded off. This was Polynesian culture through the eyes of Mormon missionaries. It almost felt like a "People Zoo" with exhibits to show how they lived before they were converted from their pagan ways.

6  Thank Tusitalatale
Write a ReviewReviews (6,910)

Reviewed 27 June 2014

the shows was great. the luau was also good, its a buffet and family style sitting, ( meaning other families sitting at the same table ). you can pay for a tour guide or go on about your own way. i have too many pics so ill just post a few. we took the tour. laie is a nice small town. it was once a a sanctuary for fugitives.just dowm the road is he Laie Hawaii Temple, the fifth oldest LDS Church temple worldwide.on helpful hint if you a tour on the bus they will let you know dont get lost cause the bus leaves with or without you and the taxi ride back will cost you about 100.00 (rounding up ) so stay with your group or rent a car. your choice,

1  Thank DRAGON05702
Reviewed 27 June 2014

What i know of polynesian people is that they are a global nation of great warriors and good looking dancers. You will see none of these at this attraction. All the women are dressed up head to ankles in ugly, non Polynesian rags. In these " costumes" , there is no way to appreciate anything they do. And from what i can tell, they do not seem to like it either. I did not expect to see top model sexy or half naked polynesian dancers like in the movies, but at least there should have been attempts to show culturally accurate but politically acceptable dresses, with the proper balance that would show how it really was, and make this nation proud of its cultural heritage.

Unless i missed it somehow, i did not see a single representation of the great Polynesian warriors that roamed the pacific. All the men are reduced to hitting drums or prepare food, as if this is all they were good at.

Then there is the constant religious Christian tone of this place. Whether it is the "saying grace" at the Luau, or the nightly show that i felt similar to attending Sunday mass, there is a clear attempt to associate polynesian to fundamental christianity, reducing anything else that is truly original to Polynesia before its conversion.

Not a cultural experience for me.

10  Thank lmcq11
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our family had an amazing time at the Polynesian Cultural Center. There are many activities to participate in when you visit each village. We also loved the amazingly colorful parade on the water. The food was average in each of the snackbars and we noticed that the servers in the snackbars weren't overly friendly. However, between the activities and the evening Show: Ha, Breath of Life, we had an amazing time and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I move to honolulu 4 years ago. My sister came to visit for the first time so I decide to take her here, and I had never visit the PCC before. The villages are fun and pretty, very nice entertainment. The luau food is good, btw is a buffet, don't inspect a la carte service. The 3D movie is a very nice IMAX experience. The show breath of live is great and a most go. We had a really good time, my sis was impress, and I was speech less, I ask myself how come didn't come here before? The price is fair, this place is big and very well take care of. No alcohol is for sale. I do recommend this place so much. I really don't understand the bad comments.