“ Underwhelming tourist trap, but the Dole whips are fantastic”
Review of Dole Plantation

Dole Plantation
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Wahiawa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dole Plantation, located on the North Shore of Oahu, provides enjoyable activities for the entire family, including the Pineapple Express Train Tour, the Plantation Garden Tour, and the Pineapple Garden Maze. Also popular are the informational displays and presentations, as well as the plantation country store offering a wide variety of Dole Plantation gifts, local favorites, foods and refreshments including DoleWhip®. Fresh pineapple is also available for purchase.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Definitely a cliche tourist trap, but something to do once while you're in Hawaii. However, if you have limited time, I would not put this stop at the top of your list. You enter through the big gift shop, which was very busy--wall to wall tourists. There's no clear direction where to go to buy tickets for attractions. Eventually, we found the ticket booths outside. We decided to do the train ride and the pineapple maze. The train ride would have been interesting if I could have heard it better. At no fault of Dole, there was a very misbehaved child sitting behind us. He kept talking, crying, and using his toy gun to "shoot all of the pineapples." (his words not mine). The volume on the train isn't very loud to begin with, so with all of the uncontrolled racquet behind me, I couldn't hear the recording very well. Although, I was able to hear fine when they played the music and then tried to sell us the recording at the end of the train ride. We also did the pineapple maze. I enjoyed that a lot. After walking around, we went inside to get some lunch. There were very long lines for the food, but they moved at a pretty decent rate. I tried the chili dog with pineapple. I didn't think it would be very big, but they were very generous with the chili portions. I also tried the Dole Whip with fresh pineapple on top. That right there is worth the stop at the plantation! Once we finished lunch, we decided to do a little shopping. One thing I was looking for but could not find was postcards. I went up to one of the workers and asked if they had postcards. She answered, "yes," and that was all. I waited thinking she would give me some direction, but after a long pause, I had to ask her, "could you tell me where they are?" That bothered me as there was no desire to help a customer. So with all of that said, we had a nice time, but most likely wouldn't go back. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt. Check it off the list.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,033)
All reviews
in 537 reviews
"demonstration"
in 113 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Well worth the trip out to the Dole Plantation from Honolulu. Yes, it's a bit touristy but so much fun. Train ride through the plantation, Maze, gardens, shopping, and don't forget to have some Dole Whip! I crave it even now!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

On many of the must do lists for Oahu, my boyfriend and I added this to a coastal drive to the North Shore and drove back down to Waikiki via the Dole Plantation. Without realising, we had planned the drive on a public holiday which meant we drove around the carpark for quite some time before finding a space! We ventured inside eventually to the huge gift store before heading back outside to purchase tickets. There are three paid activities on offer at the plantation and we chose the maze and train (there's also a garden which we didn't see). The maze was quite fun despite the average age of participants about 10, but we found the train quite long. Informative, but not overly thrilling. My favourite part of the visit was the pineapple whip waffle cone we tried. Who knew ice cream and pineapple would make a good mix!
I'd recommend this activity for families with young kids and allow a couple of hours as there is a wait for the train.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did the train tour, the pineapple maze and the garden tour. They have a military discount. The train tour was fine, but we couldn't hear most of the dialogue because of others talking. The pineapple maze was fun, but a bit confusing. We found all but one of the items. The garden tour was nice. We did eat lunch there and had the Dole whip. The food was fine, but the wait long. They have a large shopping area, with some individual merchants. Overall, enjoyed the stop, but not super impressive.