“Really great island experience”
Review of Honolulu Soaring

Honolulu Soaring
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Waialua
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hawaii’s oldest and largest soaring operation, Original Glider Rides has been operating tours at Dillingham Airfield since 1970. Soaring the skies over northwest Oahu, panoramic vistas unfold as your pilot guides you in this bubble-topped aircraft. You’ll be in awe as you fly on the wings of the wind with sights and sensations you’ve never experienced before. A 20-minute flight can attain altitudes of 3,000 ft. or more. Single passengers can kick it up a notch with specialized add-on flight services like aerobatic loop-d-loops and Eagle mini-lessons.
Thousand Oaks, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Really great island experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We come to Hawaii several times a year and I had decided to try Honolulu Soaring. I have flown gliders before and signed up for a lesson. What a great experience! The owner and all of the staff were like family. I learned much more about flying this time than in all my previous lessons. Ask for Big Don as your pilot. He's a blast!
Don't try to cram this into a busy day, as the weather plays a big factor and can cause a delay. We had to wait out a squall for about 20 minutes (ask Bill to give you a whistle concert while you're waiting). they offer scenic rides, hands on (mini lessons), or acrobatic. Everyone who flew when we were there left with big smiles on their faces! I am definitely adding this to a regular stop when we come to Hawaii. Also! Check out the beautiful beach just down the road!

Visited July 2014

• Korean first
“"Mr. Bill"”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family and I were in Hawaii in May and we decided to visit the original Glider Rides. I met with Mr. Bill who was very friendly to us and to our 3 year old son. He then arranged for my son and I to take a short 10 minutes flight and after that I was able to fly again for 10 minutes and to pilot the glider under the watchful eye of Shawn. (I am a private pilot single engine, so I was extremely interested in getting my hands on a engineless aircraft). It was a great experience and Mr. Bill was so nice, he put my son in a glider and spent some time explaining to him the control not caring that Gabriel only 3 years old. Nonetheless, Gabriel loved his ride and the attention he received while at the Dilligham Field. It was a great experience, the pricing was more than fair and we may have another flyer in the family...Thank you Mr. Bill for your kindness, and yes the flight was awesome, cross this item of my bucket list....

Visited May 2014
Florida
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Been there twice”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

As tourist experiences go, I think you should to this, it has great views, and is pretty simple. Well, you don't have to do anything. Ok, if you are in the front seat you will have to pull the tow plane release handle, but that's nothing.

I did this in 2008, and shot a lot of good video, but I had to come back because upon arriving home I decided to copy all my files into one folder and wouldn't you know, I ended up copying new files over old and the old were, among other things the files I had from this event.

So yes, I've done this thing twice, and both times had the same pilot and glider. Sean Lee I think was his name. Very capable individual. He has been doing this for years and put your fears to rest, he can do it again.

You will get the ride of your life and you will enjoy seeing all the various life forms below you. You can even work the stick if you want.

If you come in January, like I did the first time, you will see whales in the water, this recent trip was a few days ago and the whales are in Alaska feeding. Rough life is it not, feed and reproduce.

So that's it. A quiet, no engine, look at Hawaii's north shore. You'll love it.

They offer a round trip ride from you hotel for 40 bucks. Given the distance, I'd say it's a good deal.

Visited June 2014
Brazoria, TX
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fantastic Fun”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Brought my son and his family here for a glider ride. I was familiar with this activity because my wife and I had enjoyed it years earlier. My daughter-in-law went with her 6 year old, and my son did the acrobatic flight. Both loved it. I watched as my son did figure 8s and clover leafs. He had a ball. I'm sure my stomach would not have handled it, but he was ready to go again.
If you are visiting Oahu, make it a point to get to north-west side of the island and give a sailplane ride a try. Something you will never forget. And be sure to bring your video camera.

Visited June 2014
Dumfries, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Perfect Flight"”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

... we got there early, and we were accommodated right away !

Kevin, thank you for your flying expertise, my daughters & Dad really enjoyed taking us up, buzzing hikers, soaring the ridge and most of all for making us laugh :-) ...

Bill, thank you for suggesting I use your go pro set-up ! Really made my clips stable. And also, thank you for being there on time ... as Kevin jokingly mentioned how you were when you're headed to work :-) ...

And David, I see a great pilot in the making !!! I bow to you for making our flight really memorable :-) ... Great save at 700 ft. You cored that 5 - 6 + thermal beautifully ... That was the icing on the cake !!! Good luck on your new adventure in Alaska :-) You got a lot more flying stuff to learn, your experience & most importantly other's ...

GREAT STAFF at HONOLULU SOARING !!! Really Enjoyed It !!! THANK YOU :-)

Until the next time ... MAHALO !

Visited April 2014