“Hana Hou Air Soars as an experience”
Review of Hana Hou Air

Hana Hou Air
Ranked #19 of 20 things to do in Waialua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: they fly the glider, fun and nice view!
New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Hana Hou Air Soars as an experience”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I wanted to find interesting, unique activities for my 9 and 11 year olds and this is it! Both kids had. What they described as a "totally awesome" experience. From my perspective, Yuko and her pilots were fabulous to deal with...friendly, instructive and efficient.

Hana Hou Air is located on the North Shore, very close to Haleiwa, so plan accordingly. I emailed with Yuko a few times before the date and called her once to set the date and time. Once at the field, each kid was up and soaring within 30 minutes. The beauty of gliders or sail planes is there really isn't much to them. No engine means no gas which means no power...more importantly, no fires if there were any mishaps. According to Yuko and her pilots, it is the safest form of aviation. Yuko, who has been flying for over 20 years had two pilots on hand, both of whom were flying big jets or commercial planes for decades prior to retiring. They were excellent, friendly and handled the kids with care.

Once you get released by the tow plane, you basically glide down. When there is more winds, you have more lift and could stay a loft longer. I opted to buy a lesson for my son Who got to take the stick during the flight. Both kids reported seeing just incredible views on their flights. Neither experienced fear or motion sickness.

I think we were there a total of about an hour maybe an hour and a half before heading up the coast to snorkel...it's a one of a kind experience from what they said and I heartily recommend Hana Hou!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Fluid164
hanahouair, Owner at Hana Hou Air, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Bill, Thank you for flying with us. Your kids were a great students. We hope they fly with us again.
Mahalo! Yuko

Aiea, Hawaii, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“My first glider experience.”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I live on Oahu and wanted to experience a glider flight from Dillingham airport. I found Hana Hou Air in one of the Tourist acitivity magazines. I called and made a reservation on the same day. I took a 30 minute scenic tour with the owner Yuko. She is very nice and a good pilot too. The fee was money well spent. You 'll get the glider experience along with a great perspective of the island beauty. At the end of a great flight, Yuko finished it off with a nice smooth landing. I recommend Hana Hou Air.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Douglas M
Nashville, Tennessee
“Outstanding flight experience”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was my second visit to Yuko and Brian at Hana Hou Air. As a private pilot, I can attest to their diligence in safety of glider operations and overall professionalism. And they are patient and willing teachers for those of us eager to expand our skills and explore alternate aspects of aviation. Dillingham provides an exceptional venue for soaring with stunning mountain ridges adjacent to the expansive Pacific Ocean. Overall a superior experience. Can't wait to return!!

Visited September 2012
japan
“maybe you can't do this in your country!!”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I joined this activity with my sister and brother. I come to Hawaii, I always enjoy shopping and not rarely join something activity. But this time, my father found this activity and I thought I can't do like this experience in my country. So I decided to join. When I was in Dillingham Airfield, I had no worry because the staffs explained carefully about the flight and above all, the ower Yoko was japanese. So japanese travelers easy to understand how to control. The staffs were really kind on the sky too, somethimes they cared our phisical condition. That was really good for me. Thanks to this experience, we can shere a great memorry with my sister and brother.

Visited August 2012
“Different Hawaii”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I'm not a person who drive a glider, just a traveler. When I drive to North shore by car, the great view welcomes me anytime. Then, feel like jumping into the grace wave of the ocean. But, this place will provide you different view of Hawaii. You can see amazing view of mountains and ocean waves from a plane! Besides, Training program is available for licensed drivers. Japanese training is also available.