“Amazing stay at Property 228716 at Makaha Beach Cabanas!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waianae
Makaha Beach Cabanas
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in this unit Oct 15-22, 2013. This is a top floor, corner unit so you only have one neighbor beside you. Yes, Makaha is about a 45min drive away from the Honolulu/Waikiki area but it is worth staying here if you want to get away from the crowds of Waikiki. This unit is located in the Makaha Beach Cabanas which is an apt/condo building located right on the beach. The beach is very private. Hardly anyone on this beach. My boyfriend and I would often be the only ones out in the ocean every morning before breakfast! We bought food at one of the local supermarkets which had everything we needed. We had breakfast many mornings on the private lanai which is right off the bedroom. Since this unit is on the top floor, the lanai has the BEST view. Every morning, we would raise the remote controlled black out shutters to reveal the sound of waves and breathtaking views of deep blue waters and white sand. Not to mention seeing the mountains on the left and right of us! The lanai was a perfect place to enjoy the sunset. The view doesn't end in the bedroom/lanai either. There is also a great view of the mountains on the other side of the condo, right off the kitchen & living room. The kitchen is stocked with everything you need. Living room has comfy seating and a nice tv (if you want to watch tv...but why would you when you have the ocean to entertain you?!). The unit also comes complete with beach chairs, coolers, beach towels etc, anything you need to enjoy a day at the beach. There are also maps available which was a nice touch. AND FREE LD CALLS to US & CANADA! The unit is very clean, modern and well-kept. The bed was comfy, and although there is no A/C, there is a fan in the bedroom & living room. With the lanai and front door open a bit, you can get a nice ocean breeze through the unit to keep you cool. We were able to drive around Makaha. There are a lot of beach parks nearby and all of them secluded and away from big crowds which was great. There are not that many high end restaurants in Makaha but that is not to say that the food wasn't good. There are a couple bbq places, a Mexican place and if you want, there are also a lot of fast food joints. If you're craving a great breakfast, go to Hannara restaurant. BEST BANANA & COCONUT PANCAKES! Booking this unit was very easy and a great price. The person we dealt with for bookings and info was very polite and helpful. I highly recommend staying here. I would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Make sure to take a drive around the surrounding areas and beach parks.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen R
There are newer reviews for Makaha Beach Cabanas

Reviewed 16 December 2013

A friend of mine owns a Condo in this building on the 2nd floor. We always stay here when we need to get away from it all. It's secluded, quiet and perfect for truly getting away. The beach is HUGE so there should be no problem finding a spot. If the waves aren't big that day, it's nice to play in the small shore brake. I've seen Whales almost every time I've been here and sometimes if you go underwater, you can hear them singing. Beautiful. Turtles are a given. Sunset is the best. The view is incredible and it's just picture perfect. Grab a cooler, some drinks and some food and enjoy your time at this beach! It's simply the best. At night, leave the sliding door open and use the waves as your very of sleep machine. On a clear night, you can see thousands of stars. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sirc808
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Kenike, sorry I have taken so long to get this review in. I loved the place! Cute little condo, 1 bedroom right on the beach, literally step over the rail and be in the sand! The place was clean, well furnished with all you would need to make meals and eat on your lanai! We went to Tamura market for some easy food, microwave things. Had breakfast on the lanai the first morning, had some friends over for dinner on the lanai, watching the sunset right from our lanai!! I read the review from maiwaye, so sorry to hear about the mess the previous guests made! We knew we weren't getting maid service, didn't really need it as I am not opposed to cleaning up after us. It is all about the location right on the beach. The condo has all you need for a great time be it a week or a month or a year. It may be a little old and a little dated, but the ambiance with the locals on the beach, and the next door neighbors who happen to be the owners of A102 (Thank you Janice and Steve) we had a great time!!!!!! We are smokers, and smoking on the lanai was permitted, although the neighbors requested we do not do that, they never complained, and most of the time we went out on the beach anyway. Only problem we encountered was the upstairs neighbor ( whom we found out later was a PROFESSIONAL TOURIST, trying to get free stuff) he complained about us smoking on our lanai, even though the smoke was blowing in the wind off to the west, not up, security came by, ask us about it, left, said we were doing nothing wrong. I have read complaints about no air conditioning, you don't need it when the trade winds are blowing!! Great breeze right through the condo!! Wonderful ceiling fans to help move the air, we were very comfortable even though the humidity was WAY up due to some rain (something that doesn't happen much on this side of the island) I just have to thank the owner and Kenike for a great stay!! Would we come back?? YOU BET!!!! Would we stay in this same condo? YOU BET!!! I would like to live here!! We are frequent visitors to Oahu as I have a lifelong friend in Waianae. Previously we have stayed in Honolulu, and I didn't like the "busy" area, love Makaha!! So quiet, so mellow, so relaxing!! There is also so much to do if you want to do it. Trips from the harbor for fishing, snorkeling, swimming with the dolphins. It is true there is not much in the way of night life, but we don't do night life anyway, we are in Hawaii to relax!! If you want busy touristy, stay in Waikiki or Honolulu, if you want to "experience" the real Hawaii (what is left on Oahu) you NEED to stay here. Good drive to the North Shore on mellow highways, not too much traffic, which is not easy to find here anymore. I have been coming to Oahu since 1978, and the traffic has gotten so much worse, each year we come!! I still love the island and my friendship with Marilyn will never end, so know I will be back, and will try to rent this condo again. Did I mention this was our 5th anniversary?? It was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor condo so you can step right onto the beach!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cactus140
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Well with a sad heart I write this is response to lolaok's review. The initial call I received was complaining that I had an artificial arrangement in my unit and they asked me to reduce the rent to $80 a night v. the rate of roughly $100 a night. I couldn't not get passed their yelling and unfortunately we also had a lang. barrier, so I could not get a word in for discussion. I would have to say that you should beware of who's recommendations you believe. I have attached photos of the damage they caused. The roaches were because they were uncleanly and sadly didn't feel the need to take out their trash, the sink was full of food, the coffee pot full of cigarettes and this is a non smoking unit, they slammed the lid of the toilet onto the tank and cracked it, leaving all the water to run out on the floors and urinated in the trash can instead. I believe it would be common sense that if you don't clean up your food and take out your trash that bugs will come, not matter where you are from. It seems that they were expecting a daily maid to clean up after them, take out their trash and as to the rest, I have no idea why a person would act in this manner.

I grew up down here (went to the elem) down the road, found myself back here 20 +_years later, wanting my children to enjoy the beauties that this island and people have to offer. It is NOT the hustle and bustle of Waikiki that makes this island. It is the culture, the Aloha, the kindness that you find everywhere here. Yes this is not Waikiki, but you also do not have a 200 sq foot hotel room, in which you have to also purchase breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis. It is 500 sq, separated bdroom, with a pull out couch in the living room, a tv in both rooms, a fully furnished kitchen in which you can shop and purchase food to cook allowing you to save lots of money. Yes there is a drive to take to get to Waikiki, North shore, Koolini etc, (anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour), but well worth the drive if you want to spend the day out doing and activity and come home to a place which is much roomier than the 300 to 400 $ a night hotel in Waikiki. Lets not forget the pristine beach you get to walk right out on from your lanai. lots of the snorkeling and whale watching boats drive you to the shores of Waianae, which is where we are. The building is secured and yes life does exist here, but I have never felt unsafe here, any more unsafe that in Waikiki, Bahamas, Florida, or better yet New York city are any other place I have decided to travel.

So please take your reviews in caution, as not everyone is the same. Sorry to say that someone found this area and my home away from home to be unsatisfactory, but honestly, no matter where you stayed you would not have been satisfied. I have given you plenty of input at this point. please keep in mind why you are here. If you truly want to enjoy the beauty of this island, the people and the Aloha, this is a wonderful place to stay.

Aloha Nui, Tani not Tony

and as to Kenike, she is the most wonderful island girl you will meet. She has truly encumbered the Aloha Spirit! Mahalo for all you do!

oh also I have been here from 7-19 and leaving with a sad heart 8-10-13 with no issues

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank maiwaye
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Here are the pros of the place!
Great beach in front of unit. You will see seals, manta rays, dolphins and many sea turtles. All the units have decks that are in front of the ocean. The beach is less populated. If you can get a good unit that is clean(bug free) than you will be in good shape. The area is loud off the backside as there are cars driving by at all hours. You don't hear that from the beach. There is on site security as well as laundry room etc.
Now the ugly. Our unit was remodeled however it was infested with roaches and was on a upper floor. The management was very responsive with pest control however the roaches kept coming out and were very alive even after spraying. We had to check out and it ended up being quite costly for us even though we were partially refunded. Be very cautious and ask the questions about the units before renting. Ask about pest control. This is a tropical climate and you may see
a bug but you shouldn't see schools of roaches.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank TikiTravels
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The owner was very helpful and accurate when giving us directions on how to get to the apartment. Upon arrival we were able to speak with the on site security guard who provided tips and rules that would be useful for our stay. The apartment was very easily accessible from the parking lot and upon entering, it looked exactly like the pictures. It was spacious enough for the four adults in our party to spend the entire week; and we were well supplied with everything we would need to enjoy our stay from kitchen supplies to beach necessities that we found in the closet. The beach was never crowded and it was very easily accessible. The owner provided a list of recommended restaurants and shops that we utilized a few times during our stay. This apartment made our stay comfortable, affordable, and memorable! We look forward to returning to Hawaii in the near future and would enjoy spending another week in the Makaha Beach Cabanas.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank scmellor
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Makaha Beach Cabanas at property #250185 while on a 10 day trip in Oahu. The condo belongs to Tara and her husband. This was by far the best deal we found on the island after weeks of research. Tara was super nice, although we never actually got to meet her but she was very friendly and helpful over the phone.

I have to say we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the condo. It was clean, beautiful and had everything we could possibly need to feel at home (pots, pans, cutlery, dishes, flatware, spices, tape, toilet paper, umbrellas, snorkeling equipment, lots of towels, boogie boards, chairs, bedsheets, pillows, extra mattress, alarm clock, even nail polish remover!). The list goes on. I mean, you'll be surprised at how convenient the condo is. It is a short drive away from 7/11 and the local Tamura Market which has pretty much everything you'll need.

The cool thing about the condo is that the entrance faces beautiful green mountains and the lanai from the master bedroom faces the ocean. You couldn't find a better ocean front property than this. Sunrise from the mountains and sunset on the beach. It is absolutely gorgeous. This condo is on the 6th floor so it's perfect because you get a much more beautiful view and the beach is just an elevator ride away.

We loved hanging out at the beach. The property is well gated with a security guard, so it feels safe. You need a security system to open the front gate, then the building gate and then to operate the elevator (also to open the beach entrance). Couldn't get safer than that! The beach is private and not crowded and noisy. We used to drive to all the touristy locations in the day and then come back in the evening to relax at the beach. We didn't have to worry about our things being stolen like we would otherwise at the public beaches. The beach is absolutely gorgeous and great for snorkeling.

There's a barbecue by the
beach and a great place to make friends with other people
living at the condo. There's a place to do laundry as well which was very helpful because we did a lot of hikes and got pretty dirty.

I would seriously recommend this place to anyone who wishes to make a trip to Oahu. The only thing is, if you're looking for a crowded, touristy, party-happening location, this might not be your piece of cake. This is far from the city night life and parties and I wouldn't recommend going out at night here. If you would like to be in a more touristy location, I'd suggest find something near Waikiki. But if you want to enjoy some of the best of Hawai'i, relax and chill with the locals, this is the place to be. You cant beat the price. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Akriti S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waianae
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Hampton Inn & Suites Oahu/Kapolei
Hawaiian Princess Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Makaha Beach Cabanas? Share your experiences!