“The Way Hawai'i Should Be”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals
“The Way Hawai'i Should Be”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

If you are looking for a glitzy vacation in a hi-rise hotel with service staff available for every desire, this place is not for you. If you are looking for a location "at the center of it all," this place is not for you. If you are looking for a Disney-esque vacation spot to bring your kids, this place is not for you.

I didn't want any of that. I wanted privacy, a taste of the real Hawaiian lifestyle, and a well-appointed, quiet room away from the bustle of the city where I could work, study, and enjoy a few days off. I got all that and more in my 4 nights at Hale Nalo.

I can't express my satisfaction adequately in a review. Herlinda greeted me at the gate and gave me the briefest introduction to the room - perfect since I'd just flown 8 hours and wasn't at my best. The sign of a great innkeeper is knowing when to leave you alone.

Authentic Hawaiian food may be found at Sweet Home Waimanalo and L&L Barbeque, and many other establishments. I don't think anywhere in Waikiki is remotely similar. This is what Hawai'i should be.

I didn't use it even once, but there is a TV with cable service and a DVD player. The room includes a full kitchen, which I did use frequently (read the instructions for the induction hotplate - it really works well!), and the most comfortable bed - I haven't slept so well in years. I was impressed with Herlinda's commitment to the environment - hybrid car, solar panels, instructions for recycling, and natural products throughout.

I didn't take any time off work to come here, so I was up at 3AM the first two mornings, working until 11AM. The Wi-fi was flawless and fast. After that, a little lunch and I was off to my scuba diving sessions to prepare for my Open Water certification. If you've done it, you know how much studying is involved. Hale Nalo was the perfect setting for that - birds, breeze, no interruptions.

I am giving Hale Nalo 5 stars in every category. I don't do this lightly, but I feel Herlinda has earned this and I hope you will decide to book at Hale Nalo and experience it for yourself.

Room Tip: I would recommend The Zen Treehouse.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Herlinda was a fantastic host.

These accommodations were fantastic and far exceeded our expectations. Room was large, spacious and had beautiful gardens just out side the screen door. Everything you could need was at your fingertips! Snorkel gear, towels, boogie boards and beach chairs. There was even fresh coffee beans and a grinder waiting for us :)

Two highlights at Hale Nalo were the beach and "Sweet Home Waimanelo"

The beach was by far was the nicest beach in Oahu. We spent one afternoon at the beach and we were the only ones there - excluding the sea turtle who swam by to check up on us!

Definitely check out Sweet home Waimanalo just at the top of the street. The best and healthiest breakfast burrito we've ever had! Delicious smoothies and great local foods. (think Fresh restaurants from Toronto!)

If we every make it back to Oahu we won't stay anywhere else!

Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Customer Experience: Excellent communications with Herlinda. She is very professional and organized.

The place itself: It looks better than the photos on trip advisor - very modern and clean, and I stayed at the Garden Suite and had a quiet and restful time, the beach is literally a 3 minute stroll from the place. The Waimanalo Beach is gorgeous and peaceful, not very crowded.

Access to washer and dryer, and kitchen suppliers - just like living in Hawaii.

I will definitely stay here the next time I am in Hawaii.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
St. John's, Newfoundland
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Our six night stay at the property was consistent with expectations set by other reviews (stayed in the Zen cottage). The accommodations were perfect and the location ideal (both for the beach and for sites up and down the coast). Would strongly advise a stay here if one wants to avoid the craziness and congestion of Honolulu and many of the less-attentive properties around the island.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RAKlein
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We enjoyed our time at Herlinda's. Our room was very clean and cozy and the grounds are beautiful. I loved that we had access to a washer dryer, and kitchen supplies.
I enjoyed how quiet and restful it was here. We would stay here again in a heart beat. With hotel rooms the hallways get loud and it is hard to get good night sleep. Not the case here. I really appreciated the list of must see activities that Herlinda put together, it was very

• Stayed March 2013
Weatogue, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I had the wonderful experience of staying at Hale 'Nalo in January after a busy conference in Honolulu. I couldn't stay on Oahu long, but wanted a few days of rest and relaxation near the beach. Everything was perfect at Hale 'Nalo. My accommodations were lovely and the garden spectacular. I loved hearing the birds in the morning and that I was only steps away from the most gorgeous beach ever imagined. I cannot thank Herlinda (and Sophie) enough for the warm hospitality. I hope to come back soon and bring my husband and just enjoy. Thank you, Herlinda, for a great mini-vacation. Liz

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently spent 9 night in Oahu, Hawaii. We decided to split our trip with 4 night in Waikiki and 5 nights in Waimanalo. We were advised that Waikiki was very busy and decided to spend the later part of our vacation in a more secluded area of Oahu and Hale Nalo made it happen! HN is located on the east shore (the windy side) and allows for a reasonable drive to enjoy the North Shore but is close enough to hit some sights near Waikiki if youre interested. We highly recommend the HN for its great location to so many hikes and the best beaches in Oahu. A fifty yard walk off the property puts you on a near secluded beach with amazingly soft sand and clean calm water.

The residence is very clean and has all the amenities for staying in a few nights and cooking. Entire room and informal lobby was crisp and inviting. They have a few books in the lobby that helped plan a few adventures and learn some Oahu history. Hanauma Bay is very close and just grab a snorkel and fins that are just outside your room lobby. A 5 minute drive gets you to Makapua Lookout for an easy hike and beautiful sunrise which we enjoyed twice! Herlinda was very helpful and accommodating during every interaction. She also allowed us to check in a bit late after our adventure up the north shore took longer than expected(Hawaii time right?). The washer and dryer were perfect and made our light packing no problem. As young travelers we rarely stay in the same place twice but we would definitely consider the HN again.

Security is always on my mind when traveling and having a fenced in parking area made us feel very safe.

If you have back problems or you are a sensitive sleeper the mattress may not be for you.

Give HN a shot and you will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Rian C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimanalo
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#5 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals? Share your experiences!