Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals
  • Pool
  • Fitness centre
Ilima Hotel(Honolulu)
US$178
White Sands Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$114
Hotels.com
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Pearl Hotel Waikiki(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
US$168
  • Restaurant
US$188
US$183
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshanauma bayshort drivenorth shoreour night staymade us feel at hometropical birdsturquoise waterkoko craterexploring the islandwe loved our staythe big islandsweet hawaiianrestaurants in walking distancethought of everythingboogie boardingbeautiful areasoft sand
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is my first ever review, but I felt I had to write it. The Zen Treehouse and Waimanalo Beach exceeded all our expectations. My husband and I spent there 5 days at the end of July, before moving to Honolulu for a conference that I had to attend. Although we liked Honolulu, we are so glad that we did not stay there for the whole trip, in fact, would have been great if we could have stayed in the Zen Treehouse for all 10 days. While in Waimanalo, we did a round the island bus tour which involved seeing many beautiful beaches. However, when we got back, we agreed that the best one was still the Waimanlo Beach, and we were so glad we made such a right choice!
As all previous reviewers have noted, Herlinda is a very special lady and superb host, who made our stay truly memorable. She was always there to give us advice when we needed it. She recommended us Alex, who picked us up from the airport, after a 20 hour long flight from London. Later he also took us out from Honolulu to Waianae harbour for an unforgettable boat trip to swim with wild dolphins. This trip was a recommendation from Herlinda and we are so grateful to her, as it was one of the highlights of our stay in Oahu. Herlinda also gave us some recommendations concerning our stay in Honolulu and they were excellent as well. So it is well worth asking her while you are staying at her place.
I will not bore you with the particulars about how wonderful it was to live in the Zen Treehouse and to be so close to the amazing beach. What struck us most was the amazing sounds of birds in the morning and the beautiful colours and smells of exotic plants and trees.

SOME RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. We did not rent a car, which in retrospect was a wrong decision. Even though the bus service was quite good, you would be able to enjoy your stay more with a rented car. If we come again, we will rent a car.
2. Alex was an excellent taxi driver with very reasonable and competitive fares, so highly recommended! I do not have his email at hand at the moment but I am sure Herlinda will be able to give you the contact details if you decide to use his services.
3. We were somewhat disappointed in the "Sweet Home Waimanalo". However, the other eateries such as Ono's steak house were excellent. Once you come out to the main road from Herlinda's house turn left and walk about 5-7 minutes.
4. The hotel 'Modern Honolulu' in Honolulu, at the edge of Waikiki beach, was very good as well as their signature "Morimoto Restaurant".

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
HaleNalo, Owner at Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

One of the true pleasures of running Hale 'Nalo is being given the opportunity to meet unique and wonderful people from around the world. This was certainly the case with you. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We'll never forget you!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Totally enjoyed Hale Nalo the first time and had an even better time on my second visit.
Quiet, exceptionally clean, close to beach, Superb owner service........... not the glitz and glamour of Waikiki, just low key, but lots of things to do nearby, Kailua Farmers Market, KCC Farmers Market, Makakpu'u Light House, golf. Great home base for sightseeing, walking and hiking around the island. I'll be back again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
HaleNalo, Owner at Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

We absolutely love it when a guest returns, it's very much like seeing an old friend come up your driveway. Seeing you is just like that. We look forward to being your "Hawaiian home" for a long time to come. Aloha!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

The first few nights we stayed in Waikiki but as soon as we arrive at Hale 'Nalo we wished we had stayed the entire time here. The rooms are really great. The yard of the house was beautiful. I stayed in the garden room which was a great size for our trip. The little kitchen helped cut down on food costs, although once I tried the local restaurants I only wanted to eat there. That said, the local joints can and do shut down a bit early (at least for me it seemed early). Follow Herlinda's advice on where to eat and you won't be sorry.

The beach access is fantastic. Boogie boarding is good but even better waves are North just a few minutes near the life guard hut at Waimanalo Bay Beach Park.

So this isn't a fancy pants hotel, it's someone's house, but the rooms really feel clean and the whole experience was super nice. I'm not much of a B&B guy but this place had none of that vibe. You have privacy if you want it, or a super nice host who's willing to chat if that's your thing. I wouldn't have traded staying here for anything else on Oahu. I'm getting tingly just remembering it. Our host really made us feel welcome. Given the location, being slightly adventurous and staying here rather than a hotel will reward you with many wonderful memories and experiences.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Neilson E

You two were so much fun to have here. I'll never forget you and still have the very unique business card. Please come again, we're only a short hop skip away. Aloha.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

An outstanding place to stay if you are looking for a quite secluded retreat on oahu.
I have been there three times and each stay has exceed my expectations.
The other reviews are acurate - this is not the glitzy high rise vacation rental . This is the quite place for adults to quitely chill in a residential neighborhood away from the hotels and craziness that is waikiki. It is very close to the best beach on the island!
herlinda is a wonderful hostess who really makes this place very special.
I have really appreciated the emphasis she has placed on keeping this an adult quiet zone- the rooms are spotless and well stocked with all that you need - the zen room is amazing but the garden rooms are also great if you are on a budget

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Our 1st visit to Hale Nalo was in June 2010. Our 2nd visit was this past April 2013. From the moment we left from our 1st visit we could not stop talking about this place! Hale Nalo feels like home. Our Hostess Herlinda, is so welcoming she treats my husband and I like ohana (family). The grounds are beautiful, a wonderful backyard to relax, clean and equiped with a BBQ and beach necessities are all provided. The rooms are clean, airy with vaulted ceilings, quiet and basic necessities are again provided. No shortage of privacy. Safe area.

Waimanalo Beach is literally steps away! I saw my first honu (turtle) swimming in the ocean here! There are plenty of eateries in the area as well. And only 10 minutes away from Kailua. Herlinda does provide a wonderful directory to local business.

If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and Honolulu - this is the place to do it! There is no place like Hale Nalo and NOTHING can compare - it is truly paradise. Simply one of the best that Hawaii has to offer. We can not wait to go back for our 3rd visit! Thank you again Herlinda and Sophie!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple