“Hale Nalo - wonderful getaway, a best kept secret”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals
San Jose, CA
“Hale Nalo - wonderful getaway, a best kept secret”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Our stay at Hale Nalo was truly rejuvenating. We spent 5 nights in the Zen Tree House, and 1 night in one of the lower suites. This was a perfect getaway, away from the crowded, noisy, touristy Waikiki Beach, but just close enough to see all the sights.

The Rooms
First off, if you are staying at Hale Nalo, you MUST stay in the Zen Tree House! It is the suite upstairs, and is a world of difference from the lower floors. The suite is very roomy, with (1) a kitchen (sink, a portable cook top, a toaster, coffee maker, microwave a full size refrigerator) with all the plates, mugs, knives, utensils, etc., (2) a spacious granite counter to have the wonderful breakfast on, (3) a living space complete with a comfortable sofa and a good size flat screen TV, (3) the bedroom (which is partitioned from the living space only, not a full wall) with a king size bed, which is just a hop away from (4) a walk in closet big enough for two, complete with nice wooden hangers, drawers, and room to put our suitcases, and (5) a nice roomy bathroom with lots of counter space to put all of our stuff and a beautiful shower (a nice body wash provided too). There are two patios, one with a small table and chairs for the very casual dinner, and the other a great place to rest the snorkeling gear after a day of fun on the beach (at least that’s what we did). Because there are many windows (and by the way, nice shades on those windows!), there is a nice breeze that cools off the room in the morning and in the evening. The floor is a very good quality laminate (dark hard wood), which adds to the “zen” feel of the suite. Most importantly, it gave us a lot of privacy and quiet. In summary, I felt like the suite was an extension of my own home, and I can recommend this suite to anyone.

The sounds of the ocean can be heard faintly at night, and the chirping of birds awaken us in the morning. It’s not the sounds of buses and cars or screaming teenagers partying in the pool.

My only comment is that the bed was too soft for us; we're used to harder beds. This is of course a matter of preference, so take it for what it's worth.

In contrast, the lower rooms are simple suites. After having spent 5 nights in the Zen Tree House, the small suite felt cramped, but was certainly fine for our one night stay. There is otherwise everything that you’d need to have a comfortable stay. My only comment is that the walls between the two lower suites are such that you can hear the other room. And as I said, it’s a world of difference from the Zen Tree House, all the way from the flooring to the bathroom sink.

There is a high efficiency washer and dryer for guests. The hours of operation of the machines are limited (so as not to disturb the guests), but they are free. This is absolutely a great plus.

This is a vacation home. It means that there is no front desk with a concierge or activities desk, and there is no one to set up your bed and clean your room and wash the dishes everyday. Honestly, I was not used to that. But what I began to appreciate is that this was home – and it felt that way (and yes, I do clean up the room and wash the dishes at home), with the sense of privacy and autonomy. It was clearly the right choice for a couple (a married couple who left the kid with grandparents, in our case).

It turns out that we stayed one night in Waikiki because our flight was canceled and we had to fly the next day. As a result, we had to find a new place to stay, and we decided on the Marriott Waikiki. This really reinforced the fact that Hale Nalo was a much quieter, relaxing place.

The Location
Waimanalo is a sleepy little residential town on the east end of Oahu. It is the birth place of Akebono, a former sumo champion. It is about 30 minutes from the airport and Honolulu, which is just far away enough from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, but still close enough to drive into the city. The Original Roy’s restaurant is just 15 minutes away, and it’s actually closer to the Polynesian Cultural Center (it’s about 1 hour away, which shaves a whole half hour from Waikiki/Honolulu).

Because it’s a residential area, there is no sign (big or small) that says Hale Nalo. In fact, their own residents on the street didn’t know about it. If you saw it from the street, you’d wonder if you’re lost (we did).

The beach, which was named the #1 beach on the June issue of Islands Magazine, is literally 1 minute walk away. The beach is secluded, and clearly unknown to the tourists. It’s not a beach for snorkeling (Hanauma Bay, which is also on the east side of the island, is only 10 minutes away though), but it lends to a very nice stroll along the waters. I personally think that the beaches on other tropical islands (like the French Polynesia, Turks and Caicos, Fiji) are far better, but I can see the charm of such an undeveloped, quiet beach.

Activities
- Hanuma Bay (which I think is overrated) is only 10-15 minutes away. Just make sure that you get there by 8am, because when we walked out of the beach at around 9:30, there was a huge line full of tourists bussed to the location. They must have waited over an hour to get into the beach. Good thing Hale Nalo is nearby.

- Polynesian Cultural Center is about an hour away from Hale Nalo. Since the center is on the north side, it’s a long ways from the majority of the hotels and resorts. Hence, the center opens at 11am. We went with the Ambassador Luau package. It includes a group tour with a guide, followed by a luau dinner (a giant buffet room), and the show Ha. It was worth the money, and plus we were able to use the tickets to go back the next day for free (parking fees are also good the next day). We spent the second day touring the place on our own. Definitely recommend spending at least two days.

- Pearl Harbor is of course a historic site. We went to USS Missouri, a battleship where World War II was officially ended.

- We hiked up Mt. Olympus, a pretty challenging hike. The whole walk would take all day, we did about 2.5 hours of it, and we got a great work out. If you want something easier and more commonly visited, there is Diamond Head.

- Dinner at Alan Wong’s is a must, as is the Original Roy’s. If you had to pick two nice restaurants, they would be it. As for hotels on Waikiki, my general observation is that there are a lot of places to eat “heavier” foods. If you want burgers or sandwiches, try Duke’s, which is where we went.

- The Byodo-In temple was beautiful. They did it right when they built it. It was a peaceful destination and worth the visit.

- As for sushi, we ate at Doraku, which has a modern flair. Definitely good sushi. We also ate at Sansei at the Waikiki Marriott.

- We ate breakfast at Boots & Kimo’s, which is in Kailua (10 minutes from Hale Nalo). If you want to try their famous pancakes with macadamia nut sauce, this is it.

- Whole Foods is located in Honolulu; it’s about a half hour away from Hale Nalo. Because Hale Nalo check in is at 3pm, it’s a great place to shop if you arrive earlier. By the way, they’re also building a Whole Foods in Kailua.

- Margo and the Tahiti Pearl Market are both in Waikiki. If you’re a black pearl collector, they are the places to go (they are sister stores).

- Hilo Hattie’s, because no visit to the Hawaiian Islands is complete unless you go there. Just don’t get suckered into trying out one of their oysters for a pearl there. Of course there are one or two pearls inside, they want you to buy the ring to go with it!

- Finally, Waikiki Beach. Saw it, walked around it. Not the highlight of our trip.

Final Words
Because our flight back was canceled, we stayed one extra night in Oahu. We ended up spending the night in Waikiki. Waikiki, while I can see that there are a few appealing attractions (like shops, but honestly, do you have to travel so far to go to the mall? But in case you do, go to the Ala Moana Mall), it really had very little to offer. Waikiki Beach was crowded and the scenery lacking unless you like to gaze at old hotel buildings built 50 years ago.

This is all the more a reason to stay at Hale Nalo. After all, we go to the tropical island to relax and rejuvenate. Halo Nalo is just the perfect retreat for a couple wanting to find themselves again. But if miss the huge crowds, the traffic and big malls, Waikiki is not far.

One last recommendation: bring your portable GPS with you. You’ll need it, especially because the street names sound very similar, and there are many smaller streets.

Have fun, and stay at the Zen Tree House Suite!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shuweb-com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
ayrshire,scotland
Reviewed 1 July 2010

my husband and i just spent five nights in the zen treehouse and didnt want to leave! after a stay in waikiki we decided to go to waimanalo beach as we had been married there ten years before, we were not dissapointed. from the very start your host could not do enough to please you, nothing was too much trouble. beach is a 30 second walk from the front gate and worth getting up early to see the sunrise, the water is a gorgeous shade of blue but beware the waves can be quite powerful on a windy day. everything has been thought of here and the little things mean alot, like boogie boards, beach chairs, cool box etc all yours to use anytime. the apartment itself was wonderful and the pictures on the website do not do it justice. was wonderful to have two lanai where you got a lovely breeze. this apartment does not have ac but does not need it as having balcony doors open allows plenty of air to come through. would highly reccomend this place to anyone and would love to return someday.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank louise12399
Spokane
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My husband and I picked Hale Nalo having never been to Hawaii. We chose Oahu as the island of choice because it seemed to have the most going on. Nature and nightlife. When I continued to read reviews on where to stay on the island I noticed a bunch of reviews claimed that Waikiki was more like Vegas than the Hawaii we see on TV. They were right on! If I wanted Vegas I would go there. So I searched for a place out of the tourist trap. I looked for a vacation rental but wanted to be taken care of a little more than that. I looked at hotels but they all seemed to lack the down home Hawaii I wanted to experience. We were staying for 8 days so I needed something within a budget too. Under $200 and still nice was my requirement. I wanted it to be on the beach but that type of lodging costs you. After two weeks of searching (literally) I found the website for Hale Nalo. WOW, The pictures are very true to what you get. Personally I think it's better. You can hear the waves at night, you can hear birds in the morning and I counted 70 little steps to the amazing beach! Gorgeous and clean with no crowds at this beach! I have a friend who lived in Hawaii and Waimanalo is the town to stay in if you want to be outside the hustle and bustle of the big city but still close enough to visit it. We drove maybe 30 minutes to get to Honolulu, and what a drive! Lovely views the whole way whether you take Pali Highway or the coastal route. The room was clean and I loved the decor. Herlinda is the host and she does a perfect job of being there if you need her but also being laid back if you don't. It's the best of both Hotel and Bed and Breakfast styles! We got to see the Tree house suite which is amazing! It was booked for the time we were there but Herlinda gave a quick tour in case we were able to book it the next time we come back. Which we will!!!! I feel so blessed that we found such great lodging our first stay in Hawaii thanks to Herlinda and Hale Nalo!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neverrelaxed
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I travel a lot and when I get the chance to get away from the beaten track I take it. I was working and needed the best rest possible to stay focused on the critical task. Hale Nalo was exactly what I was looking for. Quiet, homey and welcoming. I felt comfortable the first night and slept well that evening which in not the case many times in a different environment.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank equipdoc
Winter Park, FL
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Mahalo to Herlinda and the Hale 'Nalo! We truly enjoyed our stay in the Makai suite while on Oahu. We had spent a couple of days in Waikiki, and it was a pleasure to get away from the crowds and activity. Each night we were treated to the sound of the breeze and the ocean and it was very peaceful. And every recommendation Herlinda made- whether it was for food or for activities- were excellent. Boots and Kimos for breakfast in Kailua was da' best!. We will certainly return on our next trip.

1 Thank MariJ77
Yakima
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Our stay at Hale Nalo was everything we hoped for. It was surprisingly quiet even though it was part of a neigborhood. We wanted to avoid Honolulu but still get the Hawaii experience. Close to Kailua (5 minutes) so we had fun restaurants and shopping. Less than 5 minute walk to the beach and close to many other wonderful beaches. Honolulu was 30 minutes away so we still went in there frequently but were able to return to our quiet room at night. This was a wonderful location for us. Herlinda is a fantastic host. Has lots of good suggestions and info on the area. Very protective of her guests and wanting them to have the best experience. Thanks Herlinda.

1 Thank YakimaBridget
kansas
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My husband and I just stayed a week in the garden suite at Hale Nalo and it was the best ever! We were in Oahu celebrating our 4 year wedding ann. and taking some time away for just the two of us. We were in heaven when we arrived to see everything was so beautiful and specialized. We had great food at Lucy's and Los Garcia's, watched amazing sunrises and sunsets everyday, and slept peacefully every night in the most comfortable bed away from home. Herlinda made welcomed us with open arms and made us feel right at home. This is the best place to stay when in Oahu and you don't have to deal with crowded streets and noisy neighbors.

1 Thank KansasBaseballfans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimanalo
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals? Share your experiences!