“Aiumu family from Orlando Rm 216 and 202”
Review of Sadie's by the Sea

Sadie's by the Sea
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pago Pago
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Thank you so much Sadie's by the Sea staff for a great Vacation. I enjoyed all of the great services you provided and my family did as well. My compliments to the Chef and the bartenders that helped make this possible. Also to the waiters and waitresses that were more than great they were awesome. Thank you goes out to the receptionists and maid services for tending to our needs and wants in a prompt fashion. And of course the security and shuttle drivers for a awesome job of helping out with a lot of things. Overall our stay was beyond awesome. On a scale of 1 to 10 you guys are an easy 100. Thank you guys and gals.

Beyond Satisfaction in Orlando.

Room Tip: Always pay more....from experience it does me well.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nefu A

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Whilst the hotel is a little tired, this is more than made up for by the friendly staff. The hotel is right on the beach and is set up for a relaxing stay. The meals at the restaurant, whilst basic, were adequate. The rooms were sizable and comfortable and well set out. The staff were helpful at reception (especially Hannah) and at the gift shop and bar/restaurant. Overall an enjoyable stay for work.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy100668
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Spent a night there, then moved. Heavy mildew smell in the room. Very friendly people there.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sammy9999
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the end of June 2012 before travelling to (Western) Samoa.

Wonderful place for those want R&R and would like to have somewhere close (metres) to enjoy the beach, pool or sit at the cafe at the back which has an outdoor area for those who would like a meal, alcoholic drink or just a coffee/juice in the afternoon reading a book. The plus was the cafe at the back which I thought should be classed as a restaurant of an evening as it had live music one evening, chilled out singer with a keyboard and the decor certainly was more upmarket but Polynesian style relaxed.

We stayed here for 3 days and enjoyed having the beach on our doorstep which was not affected by low tide being too low to swim. The water was clean at the beach and the tide was not strong, we were able to just float in the water without the tide taking us too far. We didn't use the pool so I can't comment. It looked clean though. The amenities are good, pool is just outside at the back which has shaded area with plastic tables and seating to use. Goat Island Cafe located also at the back of the hotel which had great food and friendly service. I would say the food here is probably one of the best choices around.

The only downside I found was late check-in time (3pm) when we arrived on an early flight at 1pm and had travelled from overseas and the room wasn't ready. The staff were very helpful and checked for us if the room was ready and seemed to go to great trouble to do so for us to get us into the room early.

Unfortunately when the room was ready the bathroom floor mat provided in the room was more like rag which had holes in it. Apart from that the stay was relaxing and very enjoyable. I didn't want to leave when the time was up to go back to Samoa (Western) to finish our holdiay.

Room had good a/c (split system), nice clean towels and a small fridge. Points to the hotel for not having it located in the bedroom area as they are often noisy. There was free internet access which was great for us to be able to use as were were on holidays and we could look up attractions for the rest of our holiday in Samoa etc and confirm flights on email. It was a little slow but who can complain as free internet is a rarity these days in hotels so it was great to have at all.

Our room was located near the curve part of the road located outside. The noise was 99% blocked by the bathroom being located at the back of the room which led onto the door access to the hotel room.

I would definitely like to return at some stage for a break for 3-4 days just for rest and relaxation as the beach at the doorstep was wonderful.

Book your car before you arrive, we found AVIS didn't have any rental cars available and we used one of the small car rental places which we could only rent a sedan which had seen better days. I would recommend getting a 4WD as the roads in American Samoa are in very sad state. The worst road is the road near the airport has more potholes than road.

Also make sure you wind your windows up if you don't like the smell of tuna when passing the tuna cannery located on the island.

P.S. For those who remember Pizza Hut pan pizzas in Australia like the "old days" drop on in to Pizza Hut near the airport and order the pizza that's the equivalent of a "supreme". Service is friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank inspiredbytravel1
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I truly had the most relaxing time. This place was perfect for relaxing. The maid service was super. We never needed anything, she kept our room tidy and clean. The location is great for walking to town, if you do not want to walk, then there is a bus system that can take you to the next town if you prefer. I enjoyed the fact that they open the pool and beach up for the locals to bring in their families for some fun in the water. The restaurant provided a nice variety of food, the servings are enough for 2 people and priced reasonably. The staff was so accommodating; they were always willing to help if I needed any direction or simply a beach towel. I would defiantly stay again, thanks Tom for sharing your fresh Tuna and the drinks !!!I

Room Tip: our room was perfect room 105.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank vicki l
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Holes in the towels, a little low voltage shock, and an air conditioner that didn't want to stay on….
It was a rainy weekend anyway, but three issues with the room really put a damper on our weekend getaway.... We booked a room to be near a graduation party and to enjoy a stay-cation kicking off Summer 2012.....
1. Armed with our last experience being average we brought our own towels from home and while we didn't need them, when we opened up the floor mat for the bathroom and note several holes in the towel..... ok, I can overlook that, we delve further into the room...
2. There is a alarm clock, but it's got the wire wrapped around it and it's under the night stand.... charming...
3. the worst by far though was. Turn on the AC and it automatically turned itself off an hour later repeatedly... After several calls to the Front Desk about this, and what looked to be a security guard appearing at our door each time, the PROBLEM WASN'T FIXED... so we spent the night waking in sweat to turn the air conditioner BACK ON....
4. The best though, was reaching for an extension wire that was behind the bed to plug a charger into and getting a little electric shock because the cord was cracked… What if I had a child with me? Horror….

The room was what we always expect from Sadie's, just ok. Hard to have a great getaway when you realize that you just spent $120/night for just ok, night sweats and a little shock on top of that…. THEY CAN DO BETTER, I JUST WISH THEY WOULD!

While Sadie's is less than ideal, I can honestly say the Tradewinds is not much better... My experience hasn't been much better there either....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SereneSamoa
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I've stayed at Sadies by the Sea for three weeks in December 2011 and May 2012. It is consistently superior to other hotels where I have stayed. I did stay at the Tradewinds a couple of years ago but found Sadies to have a much better TV system, wireless internet connection and superior food. The service at their restaurant and housekeeping help are both terrific. Tom Drabble pays top dollar to get the freshist fish on the island and they are always prepared professionally. Delicious swordfish, wahoo and mahi. Their sashimi of yellow fin tuna is also superb!

This is the place to stay if you are going to work for the government or at the Starkish cannery because it is so close to those places.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the sea. The view from room 106 is limited because of the old bar in front of the r...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John H

Been to Sadie's by the Sea? Share your experiences!