“I hate to give bad reviews but........” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sadie's by the Sea

Sadie's by the Sea
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pago Pago
Australia
“I hate to give bad reviews but........”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

A friend & I were booked into Sadies by the Sea on June 21 for a nights vist from Apia. I am not one to be too critical of hotels - I have travelled a lot and all I ask is for a clean room. Unfortunately, Sadies by the Sea could not provide that. The room was horrible - it had a dreadfull smell of mould as soon as we walked in. You could not possibly sleep in a room like that. The bedspread had big mouldy patches on it when we pulled it back and the bedside lamp was rusted and mouldy. I realise that humidity is extremely high in Pago year round but the owners must know this and counteract by running the air con daily as part of general maintenance to keep rooms fresh. I must say, the front office girl was very obliging and showed us an upstairs room, but it also was smelly and the balcony was black with mould. There has obviously been little maintenance here for a long time. The swimming pool was covered in white scum and the gardens were full of trash. How they could charge US$150 per night I have no idea. We had to re-locate to another hotel which was cheaper and 10 times better, albeit without the charm we thought Sadies would have had, given its position on the harbour. Reading some of the reviews was quite misleading. You would not want to go snorkelling here and have rubbish floating all around you as we witnessed. As I have said, I don't like to give bad reviews but I warn customers who think this could be a lovely holiday or business destination - there are other much better options available in American Samoa.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank AussieJen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Belmont, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

I tayed at Sadie's by the Sea for three weeks. I was very happy there - indeed I am still here for a few more hours. Having seen the other choices, I still would stray at Sadie's. It is not a luxury hotel, indeed, it is a bit more like a motel, somewhat spartan. There were no clothes hangers and no alarm clock. But those items were easy to buy locally. The AC was powerful: i rarely used it preferring to prop open my front door and leave the sea side balcony door open for a draft.

Being beside the sea was what I wanted. The sea side location: coral sand strand in a quiet private cove with Ok reef; I kayaked almost every evening from one side of the harbor to the other Breaker Poitn to the Pago river mouth. Buy the weekly rate $25 and keep your paddle on your balcony. The pool is very nice; noisy at weekends when families use Sadie's Beach Club privileges, but is is the nosie fo children playing and that is a good noise,,,

The Goat Rock Cafe is a fine restaurant and bar and the service was good and very cheerful. When I ate at the restaurant, I sat by near the water, outside. If you don't care for warm breezes, then the AC is good inside. But most evenings I ate standing at my balcony; listening to the surf on the beach. I could make simple dinners an breakfasts using the microwave, coffee hot pot and fridge.

The wireless connection is OK - more dependable at or near the pool so ask for a room with good access. You can buy better access (Blue Sky) at the desk. Your US Mainland cell phone likely will not work; or if it does will cost you a fortune in roaming charges (AT&T charged me $4 a minute). Rent one at the desk and buy $10 cards for pre-paid minutes.

There is not much night life on the island. That did not matter at all to me. Sundays are church and quiet days. The library nearby sells used books. There are several adequate grocery stores and a number of small and unpretentious restaurants. There is magnificent hiking in rain forest at the National Park.,

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed here for two weeks and enjoyed my stay. When I was here last time about 4 years ago I stayed at the Trader’s and I liked Sadies better. The room might be a little better at Trader’s but the view, staff and food is much better at Sadies. I had a couple of issues with the room: I found cockroaches in the room about 4 times and the bath tub back-up with dark water twice. I also wished there were screen doors on the slider, because I enjoy sleeping with the window open. Remember I was there a month or so after the tsunami hit so that could be the reason for the back-up in the bath tub.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

I have stayed at Sadie’s by the Sea three times now. Given the choices one has in Pago Pago, Sadie’s by the Sea is probably the best all around lodging. The alternative choices for a business traveler would be a location near the airport or the other Sadie Thompson Inn, neither of which are on the water and both of which have their own issues. The location is great, one of the few beach front lodgings on the Island. I found the beach to be much cleaner on my February visit, but August seems to attract more trash washing up. Tom tries to keep it clean, but on some days it’s a lost cause. The rooms are nice but not exceptional; however the bathrooms are large and the coffee maker/milk and refrigerator are nice. The AC is hard to control, either you freeze or you need to turn it off.
The new restaurant is a nice new touch, and the food is OK, but the food at the other Sadie’s is much better. It can be understaffed if there is a meeting or event going on in the meeting room upstairs that requires food being delivered, so waiting for service at lunch or early dinner can be a problem. The vents in the restaurant bathrooms are filthy, and in need of some other repairs/attention. The Sunday Samoa Buffet was very good, with a choice of steak or swordfish fresh grilled, along with other Samoa delights (all cooked in coconut milk!)
Staff are nice and helpful for the most part. I did not like that wireless internet service can be iffy and you can only access it near the pool (although a few rooms near the pool can access). Much of my internet time was poolside, which is nice if it is not full of kids playing and splashing!
Overall, it is the best choice on an Island with limited choices.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

We stayed 4 nights here for business/vacation and were generally pleased. The view of Rainmaker mountain is gorgeous, the restaurant is about the best on the island and snorkeling right in front of the hotel was beautiful with neon blue corals, fish in every color of the rainbow and darling clownfish in their anemone homes. The hotel is clean and looked much better than the few others we saw. The price is a little high for what you get but there are only 3 choices here and this seems the best. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank uanahele1
Hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

Sadies by the sea is in a great location and had access to a lovely clean beach to snorkel or kayak in. Also had a lovely pool which was very well utilised to cool down in. Had a nice modern cafe on site and enjoyed spending the evenings lazing outside with a nice cool drink. The hotel staff were very helpful, polite and friendly and the owners Tom and Tee were very welcoming. Rooms very clean and tidy and had all the facilities that we needed. Island has great opportunities for game fishing. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Fabulous Location with Beach Views
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank g0nefishing
GLOUCESTER, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2008

I recently completed my 3rd business visit to American Samoa. What can I say, this adventure lasted 2 months instead of my usual month long stay. The hotel had an added feature, an updated and brand new restaurant and outside cafe. Perfect! The menu will satisfy anyones appetitie, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. The owners Tom and Tea made me feel like family once again. The friendly and knowledgeable staff not only greet you each morning, but remember your name, country you're visiting from, what room you stay in and after a few nights, what you like to eat and drink. The owners,on several occassions,will sit and talk with all guests and get to know each of them. I've been lucky, Tom and Tea have introduced me to lots of locals and fishermen, who made my stay more enjoyable. The hotel is as good as the first time I visited, and who can say no to the beach and 85 degree water. The island boast lots of attractions to fill your spare time. If your thinking of going, remember Sadies by the Sea, and Tom and Tea will guide you on your way. Hope to be back again soon!

• Liked — Location and friendly staff, great atmosphere, dining and drinking
  • Disliked — Bar closes at 1 am.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FAMOUSGloucester_Ma