“Work in process...”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Harvard, Massachusetts, United States
“Work in process...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

The setting of this hotel can't be beat, it is right on the inviting waters of the Marianas overlooking a picturesque bay with a little gem of an island.

I had been traveling for 24 hours before getting to the hotel and took a shower on arrival. I notices that the water was lukewarm, but thought nothing of it. It happens. But, the next morning it was the same thing. I went down to reception and there were already people complaining about the lack of hot water. I'm an engineer and sought out the maintenance guys. They said that two of the three boilers were down and they were limping along on one boiler. The hotel was at capacity, so...lukewarm water.

This could have been a bad review, but in talking with the hotel management, I found that they are planning to install a state-of-the-art passive solar hot water system! Perhaps the first on Guam.

I'm a strong proponent of renewable energy and, for me. this renovation is a big plus.

Guam is a great place to visit and I strongly recommend this hotel. Ask to see the solar installation!

Room Tip: Microwave ovens are available on request, Higher floors and those towards the water have less A/C un...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jim P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lewisville, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

The place looks like something that should be condemned. I opened a protein bar in my room, left it on the table for a couple minutes while I went to the bathroom. When I came back, ants were all over it. The fitness room had nothing that worked. The pool had a nice view. There was a bar on premises that made a lot of noise late into the night. There were 'massage parlors' closeby, although that appeared to be the norm all over the island. Had to pay by the hour for internet, and it didn't work good. Gross and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank JoeW386

Travellers are raving about these Tamuning hotels

Chatan-cho, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is really cozy. Great location to see the sunset. Nice pool and access to the beach. The staff are really accommodating and friendly. You can request for a microwave if you need to heat some stuff. Stayed here for a week. Decent stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Johann P
Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

This place is old beds are terrible, like a king size bed is just 2 double beds pushed together, back ache, fell through middle many times. Do not disturb sign must mean welcome come into my room please, houskeeping was in my room after returning from a small pool they have and cleaning staff acted strange as if I was in their room or disturbing them, weird feeling or scammers caught before hand. All four nights we had no hot water boiler was not working they said, requested a room ocean front view but was stuck
in a room with the smallest balcony with dirty falling apart paint chips that
cut our feet, had to lay towels on it to stand outside, but it was to small to sit
on. The hotel had only 4 or so other guests staying their so why give a family of 3 the worst room. Jimmy Dee's bar is gang related scam activity with drunken USA owners acting stupid and driving drunk after bar closes, tried to get them a taxi but they turned angry and so we left and will never return, at night time the beach is not safe drunken thugs all over....

worst small balcony, unacceptable customer service as acting busy when your not and a don't care attitude is a waste of my families money. Dollar car rental in Tamuning scammed us also by charging us 450 for a door ding that did not even have dent about the size of a finger nail, had best insurance they offer 30 a day but it would not cover the door ding, never go to Dollar car rental in Guam, etc...

Room Tip: Saving money on a room is not worth putting your life in danger...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike L
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is a great hotel for families and business travelers alike with a very friendly staff. The hotel is in a great location, a short drive from the all of the major sites and right on the beach with a calm bay of blue water to swim, snorkel, paddle or jetski around in. The swimming pool was closed when I was there as there was a lot of stormy weather. (not typical) I enjoyed the beachfront restaurant and walking on the mostly empty beach. Fortunately there was free wifi which I used extensively for Skype as my cell phone didn't work as I expected it would. My room was generally clean but a little worn (carpet mostly) which common in hot, humid, tropical climates.

Room Tip: I would go with the ocean view. It was worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Capers Bend
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I chose this hotel because of my 3 AM airport arrival, its proximity to the dive shop I was using and for the price. I was a bit alarmed when I arrived around 4 AM and the clerk asked if I had just made the reservation the same day through a travel website like Expedia, when I had made it through the hotel website directly over a month ago. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had the printout of the hand-typed confirmation e-mail I had received from one of the hotel managers when I made my reservation. Anyway, check-in came within a few minutes and I had a fifth-floor room with a view of the lagoon, perhaps because I was staying for 7 nights. It's not a luxurious hotel, and sure, there may be a few stains on the carpet, but I didn't experience any serious cleanliness problems like roaches in the bathtub or overpowering mold. The keys were electronic cards, which was more than I expected for a non-chain, independent hotel with a few years on it. For Guam, the price is hard to beat. The lagoon in front of the hotel has a lot of jetski activity and is not really good for snorkeling or swimming as it's very shallow with few fish, but it is quite clean and I did do a bit of swimming when the jetskis had been towed in for the evening one day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Traveler M
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our experience was 100% opposite to most reviewers. We took a taxi from the airport after I called them from home and they told me that taxi is about $15. Yes it was $16.50. Front desk girl was nice. Our room was supposed to be an ocean front room. It was more like Palm Tree Front room. It was on third floor and unless you are on 5th floor all you see from your room are the palm trees. The beach was right in front and it was clean. However it was the night of Typhoon Francisco and we could not go to the beach. Yes the hotel is old and yes it can’t be called a resort by any means. It is more like a Motel 6 or Howard Johnson on the beach. But it is clean and almost everything works. One odd thing was the fact that there was a coffee maker, cups, and microwave oven but no coffee, sugar, etc. at all. Internet was extremely slow to the point of non usable. Next day the airport was closed and United put us up in the Ramada which is a much better hotel where the internet actually worked and the restaurant there is simply fabulous. Cheap and delicious food. But Ramada is not on the beach. So, it is your pick. We went to Shirley’s Café for dinner. It was one of the five worst meals I ever had in my life and as I am typing I still feel like throwing up thinking about the disgusting food although it was more than 5 days ago. But that will be in a different review.

Room Tip: Higher than 3rd floor, Ocean Facing rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Purobi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Hyatt Regency Guam
Hyatt Regency Guam
#4 of 21 in Tumon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,048 reviews

Been to Hotel Santa Fe Guam? Share your experiences!