“Not much more than one”

Hotel Santa Fe Guam
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Tamuning
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Anybody who follows my reviews will notice I do not often give a five or a one. There are always things to improve on so giving a five gives an impression of perfection which really rarely,if ever exists. On the other end of the scale things are rarely really so bad that you have to write only bad impressions.
I have a tough time finding much positive to say about this place other than it has great sunsets and nice front office mad maintenance staff.
They were not there for a pickup at the airport,had to be called, oh yes we'll be right there!
The first room was dark, dingy and dirty...the bathroom still had somebody else's pubic hair. It had 'Mountain view' of the parking lot and I found the description interesting as there are no mountains on Guam.
The second was an improvement in that it was lighter, and had a view of the water. The bathroom was cleaner but the corridor carpet as the room carpet was filthy and stained...as had been the previous room. Getting the room cleaned, fresh sheets or towels was well nigh impossible; the cleaners would come in, every two or three days,to remove trash but never cleaned the hand basin or bath and the kingsize bed was made up with sheets that were the wrong size.
Breakfast was free but pathetic and the sort of offering that encourages thoughts of a terrible and dangerous greasy spoon somewhere you wouldn't go unless you had no choice.
It does have a laundry so one can wash clothes but the general cleanliness of the whole place is poor....doors with finger marks built up over months if not years, floors that haven't been mopped or pressure cleaned, disintegrating unused barbecues, the pool was approaching green in the corners and was losing tiles,the beach in front was overgrown with weeds and the steps down to it were crumbling. Only one elevator is functioning at the front of the building.
No ice machines on each floor...you have to go to the bar or front desk and the bar/restaurant is disorganized,over staffed and unprofessional, the food being as previously stated poor and the staff try to be nice but are untrained.
The wifi is reasonable and free but disconnects if you are not continuously using it and won't sustain movie downloads, so you have to reregister if you put your computer down to go to the bathroom.
All this is a pity as the situation of the property is nice. But even after sitting down with GM, who bragged as to how he had cut costs and the property was now cash flow positive, I can not recommend anyone to stay in the hotel.
The workout area is basically unused with dead cockroaches on the floor....whether the machinery works I do not know.
Perhaps things will change but until then I can only suggest that you avoid this overpriced and shoddy property.

Room Tip: The fifth floor has the only seemingly 'decent' rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Christopher M

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This old hotel has a location that many mainland hotels would envy. The beach is literally at the back door. The view from the infinity pool is amazing, especially at sunset. We were awed by the scenic panorama upon stepping outside our first night there.

Sadly, the hotel itself doesn't live up to its location. It feels old and worn. The walls are musty. The pool environs are moldy. Closets smell like mildew. At least the sheets are clean. The room is spacious enough to accommodate a double bed but the TV is an old CRT with limited channels.

If it weren't for the most helpful staff, I would downgrade my rating to 3 stars. But the front desk managers were very courteous and went above and beyond their duties to make our stay enjoyable.

We stayed on the first floor so I can't comment on the view as there was none. We did enjoy the convenient beach access and the pool. The restaurant next door is OK but expensive. Again here the beach view is the selling point. There is a small convenience store inside that you can buy snacks, drinks, souvenirs and even (gasp) a condom or two. I don't believe the exercise room is worth the sweaty workout with just a treadmill and basic equipment. One of the washers in the washroom doesn't work and will eat your coins. Good thing the manager was kind enough to replace the lost quarters.

If only the hotel would take advantage of its killer location, it could easily be one of Guam's 4 star hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank DJMDx2
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I've stayed on Guam many times and I always stay right on Tumon shoreline (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt). But I booked this stay at the Santa Fe because I wanted something simple for just a 12-hour layover between flights. When I booked the room, I received a nice email confirming the booking. I had inquired about shuttle service from the airport, and they emailed that they would have someone there with my name on a sign, to pick me up (around midnight). Well, even though they said so in writing, nobody was there to pick me up. I called them and they said they knew nothing about it, but that they could send someone. I took a taxi since I needed sleep time (taxi was $20). I had ordered and paid for a more-expensive queen-bed room, but they gave me a room with twin beds. I was tired and didn't care that much. They didn't adjust the rate, and I was in a hurry when leaving and let it slide. The room was old, but fairly clean. Nice view of a small pool (full of local kids) and the lagoon. I liked the newish modern toilet and loved the nice new, soft bath towel. A little attached cafe right on the shore was nice - I just had coffee, though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I was here for 7 days last August 2013 and i can say that it was decent and clean then and because of that, we decided to stay here again. Now i am here May 2014, i had seen great deterioration in the entire hotel. I was too afraid to move and breathe fearing i might get sick. I strongly recommend to look for somewhere else to stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank hellokittygirl888
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Was there for just 2 nights on a duty travel. The hotel is located very nice with view to the lagoon and a nice small pool to relax. It has a nice bar with grill and the staff in both, the bar and the hotel, are very nice and friendly. If you request something they are very helpful, there are no complaints from my side regarding the service. The location is also great because its quiet and there is a 24 hours supermarket in walking distance.

The building itself and the rooms are old and worn out. The shower is close to being disgusting, guess its just the age of the building and the moisture. The beds are not good and the blankets are old and have wholes. Cleanliness is medium, I have seen worse places, but in South East Asia or South Asia.

Room Tip: Better have the view to the lagoon or the sunny side in the morning due to the moisture.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Walter B
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for 3 days on a business trip. The staff are great, friendly and very helpful... the hotel beach bar is a good spot to unwind. That said the hotel is very tired. My room was grubby and dirty which does not make me want to stay here next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The setting of this hotel can't be beat, it is right on the inviting waters of the Marianas overlooking a picturesque bay with a little gem of an island.

I had been traveling for 24 hours before getting to the hotel and took a shower on arrival. I notices that the water was lukewarm, but thought nothing of it. It happens. But, the next morning it was the same thing. I went down to reception and there were already people complaining about the lack of hot water. I'm an engineer and sought out the maintenance guys. They said that two of the three boilers were down and they were limping along on one boiler. The hotel was at capacity, so...lukewarm water.

This could have been a bad review, but in talking with the hotel management, I found that they are planning to install a state-of-the-art passive solar hot water system! Perhaps the first on Guam.

I'm a strong proponent of renewable energy and, for me. this renovation is a big plus.

Guam is a great place to visit and I strongly recommend this hotel. Ask to see the solar installation!

Room Tip: Microwave ovens are available on request, Higher floors and those towards the water have less A/C un...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jim P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Guam Plaza Hotel
1 mi away
Days Inn Guam-Tamuning
Days Inn Guam-Tamuning
#3 of 10 in Tamuning

Been to Hotel Santa Fe Guam? Share your experiences!