“Great waterpark, they charge extra for wave pool”

Onward Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Tumon, Mariana Islands
“Great waterpark, they charge extra for wave pool”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I went to the onward beach resort to go to the water park. Their water slides were fun. They had 4, plus one big horse shoe shaped one. They charged $10 to rent a body board for the wave pool. I also went on the lazy river as well. Lots of fun. Worth the money for admission.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
yigo
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We had to check in at 4.00 pm and paid $180 plus an additional $100 security deposit for an ocean view room which was only available. Since we live on Guam, I asked for a local rate but there was none. We wanted to overnite because my family and I wanted to watch the fireworks in celebration of Liberation day July 21st then the following day was my son's birthday. So we requested for a room facing Paseo. The fireworks was great ...if you had binoculars! The room was quite big but the beds were very hard and the pillows were flat! There wasn't any fitted sheet on the bed just the flat sheet and a thermal blanket. The sheets kept slipping off and the AC was not cool enough. One of my family member stopped by and said, "Is the AC on?" Yes, the room was quiet but the beds need replacement. Be careful if you need to use the extra bed underneath the bed... it's quite heavy and old.
We had a coupon for 50% breakfast the following day. We were excited to see the buffet and eat. But the elevators took a while to get us there. One was not working and the other 2 were always full! When we got to the resturant, there was a long line. The buffet was so dissappointing. There was not much to select from and the fried rice tasted horrible! The eggs were undercooked and to get your beverage,you had to fall in line again. Only one juice machine station! The staff looked overwhelmed (under staffed).
Although the staff was great, the amenities were a big dissapointment. My kids enjoyed the waterpark but I will not pay for an ocean view room with hard beds and flat pillows again. I'd rather sleep at home!

Room Tip: Big rooms, quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank aperezYigo
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 28 May 2011

This was my second trip to Guam, I came as a teen for a couple of weeks. I wanted to introduce my husband to the Island and family. We had a great experience regarding the staff, all of whom were fabulous, from the Concierge to the employees in "My Mart". The security, Rey, who brought his boom box at 5:30- close at the pool, rocks! The ladies who tended our room were also sweet. Our only (just one) concern was the overall scent that pervaded the hotel. It was a slight scent of mildew. Marilyn was very accomodating when we first arrived. We stayed at a different Hotel our first night, and had to get out of there!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 31 March 2011

First of all we chose this hotel because they had a great deal on the room rates. The price was not bad for a 2 night stay. Upon check in the front desk was really courteous. Till we went up to the room... The room felt dark and dingy. It was so dull. The carpets and furniture need some shampooing and the vents need to be cleaned. The beds were so uncomfortable and the bathroom could use more light. The only thing that was upgraded was the television. The location and amenities are ok. But the food prices were steep. All in all the stay was just ok for us. But can you please just take the time to put a little paint on the walls new drapes and clean the furniture and air vents. Some one can catch a cold in that room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Tokyo
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We just got back from the Onward, celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary, and by and large had a wonderful time. It's not the most exciting place to stay - the resort is some distance from the other amenities on the island, and unless you've rented a car, you're going to have to fork out a bit on taxi fares. If, on the other hand, like me, you're perfectly happy splashing about in a pool and taking it easy, this place is great. I despise shopping, so the fact that this place is out of the way is a boon for me, but you can get a free ride to the DFS if you're that way inclined, or Japanese.

The fly in the ointment was the shop next to the water park. We bought my daughter a pair of goggles there, and they broke before ten minutes was up. They didn't even get wet. Naturally, I took them back and got a replacement pair, but the shrewish japanese manageress refused to return my receipt. Meaning if the replacement set were to also break- as I had every reason to expect them to - I'd have no way to prove when and where I'd bought them. She even tried pinning the blame on my young daughter for her shoddy merchandise. I had to make a complaint at the front desk before I could get any satisfaction.

My advice to you is this: go to the Onward, enjoy the food, the spectacular views, the water park and the exemplary professionalism of the reception staff. But don't set foot in the shop next to the water park, unless it's to tell the lipless crone I sent you. Certainly don't spend a dime there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank IanDuncanTokyo
McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I was in Guam for business. Seems it was summer vacation in Japan and there was a military exercise going on also. This was the only hotel with availability. I stayed in the wing not the newer tower. The hotel is in very poor condition. Everything is old, run down, abused, and neglected. The beds were hard and sagged. They did a very poor job cleaning the room. The rooms have air conditioning but you can't control the temperature only the fan speed. There is a fitness center but the two treadmills they had were broken. They have free internet but you have to have a cable. I got some tickets for 50% off breakfast but it wasn't really worth the $8.50. I can't speak to the waterpark here. I didn't go. Some of the locals said they will come here and spend the night just for the waterpark. The restaurants have no selection and are overpriced. There is no room service. I walked down the beach a couple of times to have dinner at the hotel next door. Oh and everything is in Japanese first with English in smaller print. So yes this hotel caters to the Japanese..

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Andreastravels
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 8 January 2009

This Japanese-owned property caters to Japanese families with young kids who travel as part of a tour package. We did see one or two non-Japanese families but those were rare sightings. As I speak Japanese and have a 10-year-old son this was a fine place for an active kid who likes the water. The attached water park is free for guests (except for $10/day boogie board rentals) and there are jet skis, banana boats and other items available for rental.

The hotel has no real beach for sunbathing -- just a sliver of sand to launch those noisy jet skis.

Breakfast is included in the package. It's buffet style and about what you would expect for a hotel serving hundreds of guests daily. The other restaurants are average but over-priced. For a taste of local food, walk two doors away to Shirley's -- a local institution which is sort of like a Denny's.

The staff is friendly if not always helpful. A query to the front desk to book a WW2-themed day tour resulted in bafflement more appropriate to someone asking about Martian invasion sites on the island. Again, for 99.9% of the guests their tour operator through which they booked the package would take care of any additional sight-seeing.

• Liked — Water park
  • Disliked — Package tour mentality
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank 7J1AIL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Hotel Nikko Guam
#4 of 20 in Tumon
Dusit Thani Guam Resort
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort

Been to Onward Beach Resort? Share your experiences!