“Hands down, the best hotel I've ever stayed in”

Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Monterey, California
“Hands down, the best hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed 3 September 2010

This hotel is AWESOME. It's clean, spacious and the staff (concierge and pool staff imparticular) are super friendly and helpful. And the view....oh the view...incredible! (The hotel is built in such a way that ALL rooms have a gorgeous oceanview).

Here's the info:

Grounds--The pool is amazing and from the pictures on their website, I wouldn't have even known they had two pools (one including a waterslide and small waterfall area). This pool is more geared for kids but luckily, there weren't ever that many kids when I went. (However I usually went to the pool before 11 or after 4). The 2nd pool, the infinity pool, overlooks the ocean and just seems to go on forever. Has an outdoor bar and lounge area right next to it too. It's absolutely gorgeous. The open air lounge areas of the hotel are just beautiful. One drawback of this hotel is there is no beach. However, you can go just down the street to Gun Beach in front of Hotel Nikko and that's gorgeous with GREAT swimming/snorkeling. (Note: Hotel Nikko is great but waaaaaaay too many kids if you want a nice quiet and/or romantic place)

Room--MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER!! I used to work in the travel industry and have slept in a fair amount of great beds, but this one tops them all (well except maybe Westin's Heavenly Bed--it's about the same). Again, the view is amazing and you get a nice balcony with a small table and two chairs. Great place to watch the sunset. Room is a very good size with a lounge chair right by the balcony. Bathroom is all glass but has blinds that you can just leave down so it's fine for single travelers and couples, but may be little awkward for families. The bathroom's pretty but nothing really spectacular.

Service--Pool and concierge staff were great, front desk was a little slow but it's understandable when they train a lot of new employees there. Also I asked for an early check in (1:30) and I was supposed to check in at 2:00. She said no but my room would be ready by 3:00. That was a little annoying but not a big deal. The food was not great but the prices aren't as extravagant as some other hotels either. However, I do recommend eating outside of the resort.

Location--This is probably the best spot for romantic or "get away from it all" travel in Guam. It's away from the main strip of Tumon so it's quieter and more laidback. I think there are way fewer kids here than other resorts as well. I'm not saying there aren't kids, just fewer kids. However, it's hidden behind a poorer part of town a block from the hospital and across the street from a small police station. I had trouble finding it at first but when I knew where it was it was easy to find.

Price--By far the best value in 4 star resorts on the island from what I've seen. Amazing deal; if you're on the fence about this property; it's worth more than what you pay. You won't find a better deal.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Guam
Reviewed 19 July 2010

This hotel is not worth the 5*
The food is very average. The location is isoloated from other attractions and there are not shops around, only a supermarket.
The rooms are small and the bathroom is all glass, so you have to pull down the the blinds to get any privacy. Then you have to pull the blinds up to get out again.
The decor is very masculine with dark wood features.
The Hotel is very loud when there are weddings or functions in the middle of the hotel, the sounds go straight up! and sometimes all the way to midnight!
The food was not up to the level expected, especially the buffet.
The 2 pools are so far away from each other and you have to walk over a hill to get there. The old pool at the back is out of date and the top BBQ area is so dirty and faded. I was very disappointed by the amities and services of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank FandangoMango671
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My name is James Havens, half American Navy-brat and half Japanese, and I am also a popular (very, may I say) FM radio DJ in Japan. I treated one of my program-sponsors to a 4th of July getaway, 2010. (Got to Guam on the 3rd, checked-out on the 6th) ...oh, and may I add we both took our girlfriends... mine being pregnant.

Via a travel agent in Japan, I booked 2 Laguna Club Suites with the king-size beds. Upon check-in, the room had a funky ammonia-fungus stench. After a quick inspection of the room, I soon discovered the carpet around the bathroom was VERY damp. (living in Japan so long, I take off my shoes at the door... now imagine 'discovering' and damp rug in your socks... yeah) But my sponsor seemed to have no problem with their room, so that in itself was reassuring... NOT!

The whole hotel was poorly maintained, but what upset me the most, was our 'club' status. No one at the 'Club Desk'. They're 'out of' most items on the late-night menu (10PM to 6AM) at 11PM. The 10th floor Club Members Lounge was a joke. Luke warm drinks, slow on replenishing breakfast buffet trays, and nowhere to sit (during breakfast hours) because dirty dishes that need to be taken away still lie on many tables!

To make a long story short... this is definitely one club I do not want to be a member of, and sure ain't worth the extra money. (not to mention the anxiety)

But, to be fair, the room was large. GREAT view. And the staff was polite and seemed to do their best to satisfy my woes. Then again, you get the impression that they're incompetent and/or just brushing you off... like being a crew member on the Titanic, ya know? You've heard the same complaint before; you KNOW you can't do anything about it; so you just keep apologizing and wait for their check-out day.

Well, it's too bad they have a disgruntled radio jock.

But what's all this catering to the Japanese!? Guam as a whole!? OK, I live in and love Japan. My mother's Japanese, and I'm fluent in its' tongue. But why spend money to getaway from Japan, only to be surrounded by this nonsense? The $80-a-head bbq thingy with its 'forced-upon join the hula-dancing' show is a disgrace to the island (not to mention the cooking), and a slap-in-the-face for all other guests who ARE NOT Japanese. (especially the Koreans and the Chinese families in the crowd)

Come on, the G20 doesn't even consider Japan a 'major' economic nation anymore... why doesn't anybody add Chinese and Hangul to your menus and signs? The first hotel to do so is going to bring in the profits, mark my words...

James Havens

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JamesHavens

Travellers are raving about these Tamuning hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Stayed at the SLG for business and found the room to be modern, very clean and quite affordable. Great view of the Philippine Sea and the amazing serene waterfall-like pool with great sunsets. Hotel was also quiet and mostly large-group tourists who were wisked away in buses for tours. Rooms have free fast internet; however, it is not wireless. Wireless does, however, exist in the lobby for free. I would recommend this hotel. Staff was friendly and very attentive. I would definitely stay there again.
Only drawback? Although right on the ocean with phenomenal views, it is not in the glitzy tourist-filled area of Tumon. A car is required to get to Tumon (although still quite close); or you can board the shuttle to the Malls and DFS. If you're looking for a quiet place to stay and business focused, this is your place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank THE_Eurodan
Dededo, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 24 January 2010

The Sheraton is one of the finest resorts to enjoy relax and have fun with family. It also is a great place to host meetings and large conferences.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed 21 January 2010

First time traveller to this hotel and I was duly impressed. Wonderful staff who couldn't do enough for me. Rooms were clean, fast internet, fantastic work out area (in the event you don't want to run on the beach) and very nice restaurants. This place is so large, you feel that you are alone - very quiet and relaxing. Even though I was here on business, I was able to enjoy some of the many amenties this hotel has to offer.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Backstreets1250
Agana, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I am here with other employees and between us we have checked out the Fiesta (problem with toilets), the Marriott (a dump), Hilton (run down) and the Hyatt (smells)---the Sheraton wins. I read the recent negative reviews and I am not surprised. I have been staying at the Sheraton for three weeks and I can tell you the rooms are sort of clean and that I wash a glass before I use it and I invested in a can of Lysol! If you want pristine rooms and outstanding service, Guam is not for you. Lower your standards. The staff at the Sherton is extremely friendly and they try. The rooms are very modern and recently renovated. There are parties all day/night every weekend. Don't expect to take a nap or go to bed early on the weekend! The music is turned up until it is distorted and sometimes competing music comes from different directions--very lovely. Breakfast was included in our room and the buffet is okay but not worth what they charge. The activities are much better than the other hotels. FREE fishing and surfing lessons! We've signed up for several sessions---and we had the instructor to ourselves everytime. These guys were great! highly recommend trying both! The Sheraton loves air conditioning! I put my sweats on to go to the club lounge! Business center is a refrigerator. It wasn't just me---there was a teenage boy with a hoody on shivering!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank tamacita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Hotel Nikko Guam
#4 of 20 in Tumon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,145 reviews
Dusit Thani Guam Resort

Been to Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort? Share your experiences!