“Please refurbish your rooms!”
Review of Hotel Nikko Guam

Hotel Nikko Guam
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Tokyo, Japan
“Please refurbish your rooms!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed here with my family for our summer vacation. I booked two spacious Ocean Front Superior rooms and the hotel fulfilled my requests for double bed, high floor (11F) and near the elevators. I was happy about that but while the ocean view from the room was amazing, the room itself was not. The floor tiles were stained, power points were very rusty, bathroom tiles had mold, room furniture looked like they had been there since 1982, wall paper and carpet looked really disgusting and quite honestly, felt like everything in the room was a bit dirty. (See my photos!) I was shocked at the condition of the rooms! They seriously need to invest some money into refurbishing these rooms as the view is gorgeous. Another big disappointment is no free Wifi in the rooms! We are in 2013! There was also a huge ice dispenser right outside our room which made very loud noises the whole night through! It made it very difficult to sleep. I don't understand why they need to put an ice dispenser in the hallway. I have never seen that before. The A/C is too loud as well! Then to top it all off, the concierge was horrible. Ten days before my trip, the reservations officer emailed me to confirm my bookings and her replies were very prompt. After that, I emailed to reserve airport transfer and got a very prompt reply. Then I asked to reserve a table for the Sunset Beach BBQ, which I also got a next day reply. Finally, I asked if they have a concierge service and got a reply 'YES' with an email address for concierge. I emailed to ask if they could help me book two restaurants for our family dinner and I got no replies. I resent the email and I got no replies. It became clear to me that if I were paying for some sort of service like airport pickup, hotel dinners, then I get a very fast reply but when it comes to guests relations there was no such thing. Seeing that there was no reply I assumed my requests were being ignored or not answered so I proceeded with my own plans. We took a Red Guahan Shuttle (USD$4 per pax one way) and went to the restaurant. The shuttle stops opposite the restaurant around 2 minutes walk away but it was raining so we (total of 8 pax) had to run in the rain with two young kids in tow. After we ordered our drinks, a waitress came up to me and asked 'Are you Mrs.Yuki?' I said 'Yes....' And she said to me, 'Oh you have a reservation and our driver went to your hotel to pick you up but you were not there.' What??? So the concierge did book my table and arranged for free transport (the restaurant provides free transport to its customers) but yet failed to inform me. They did not inform me by email, not by phone, not even when we were checking-in! I wasted USD$32 for the shuttle and got everyone wet running in the rain due to the incompetence of the concierge. My husband then made a complaint when we got back to the hotel but all he got was a 'So desu ka?' (Is that so?) Twenty minutes later, the guest relations officer made a call to our room to apologize but that was it. The location of the hotel is a bit far from everything, we walked back one night and it took more than 15 minutes. The beach was also not very good as there were broken glasses and lots of rocks everywhere. Other than that, I requested for a front table at the beach BBQ show and the hotel did put us front and center which was much appreciated.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank yuki-chan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Going back to Niko Hotel .Best Hotel and beach on the island .great staff and management .I have been here 4 times and it never lets me down. Yeah! Many other hotels are newer but the location and staff more than make up for it. The rooms are huge and the grounds kept up very well. As for the beach crew the best. Will help you with all your beach needs.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my anniversary trip. The location of the hotel is a little far from the main tourist area and required transportation to most of everything but it was not such a big problem even you do not rent a car since the lam lam suttle bus stop at the hotel front.

The room was very spacious and the ocean view from the balcony of the room was breath-taking. I booked a flight & Hotel package through travel agency and requested a room with a king sized or a double bed since it was my anniversary celebration but the request was overlooked and was never acknowledged by the staff that checked us in. After I walked into my room and disappointedly found out there were 2 twin beds in it, I did not try to ask since I was aware that the bed type was not guaranteed. It would have been nicer if the hotel staff could at least explained in advance even there were no king bed available. Although the room deco was relaxing, the facilities in the room were definitely too old. The tower rack in the bath room even fell apart when I just tried to put my clothes on it. I also found some mould around the bathtub. Besides that, the room and bathroom were clean. There is Bidet toilet available for people who prefer it.

The ocean front pool of the hotel is very nice and it comes with a water slide to provide extra fun. The water of the pool is not heated so it could become really cold when there was no sun. Since the location of the hotel is kind of separated by a cliff from the other hotels on the coast line that the beach would be much less crowded.

There were plenty of different kind of dishes and drinks at the buffet on the ground floor, and most of them were very delicious. The servers were friendly and delightful. Overall it was a pleasant stay but the room in deed need a huge make over!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OscarBarry
Düsseldorf, Deutschland
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Nikko Guam has a good location but you have to walk a little or rent a car which can be at times tiring because of the high temperatures and humidity. The view if you request a room on a high floor is stunning and beach for snorkeling (lot of fishes and my first blue seastar) and swimming is perfect as well as the pool with wifi free all over public places even the beach.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank raphaelhiero
Pasig, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent our new year in 2009 here. It was one of the best vacation. The rooms and pool are clean, delicious food and warm employees. There was some events that time. There was even beautiful fireworks at that time. The beach is also clean. Not too expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FrancisRoyce
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Fantastic view from the room. The beach is great. Nice water slides. Service is ok. 1 - the pickup at the airport was late. I would suggest taking a cab (this is my first time at guam). 2 - we had to call at about 4pm to have our room cleaned up. The room is definitely old but clean.

• Stayed May 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here with my college age daughter for 5 nights. The room was lovely and comfortable and I didn't think it needed updating at all as some have said. A/C worked fine as did all amenities (TV, hairdryer, etc in the room. It's great that all the rooms, except for a few ground level ones, have a balcony. The hotel faces west so it is hot to sit out in the afternoon but since the sun starts going down around 6 it's beautiful to sit on your balcony, sip a drink, and watch the sunset. The pool is nice although the seating does fill up by about 9 or 10 am until mid afternoon. It does close at 8pm though but that keeps the noise level down in the evening. The ocean is amazing for snorkeling but it's so shallow because of the reef you can't really get a good swim in until you get pretty far out. The reef is rough on your feet so you will need water shoes but you can rent them for $5/day on site. I saw more fish and sea life here than I have ever seen in Mexico or Belize. I'm not sure other beaches in Guam are as good but Gun Beach right outside the hotel is magnificent. We didn't eat in any of the hotel's main restaurants as we thought they were a bit pricy and they seem to cater to the Japanese tourists. We were one of maybe 2 or 3 caucasian families at the hotel during our stay. There is a little bar/restaurant just 5 minutes walk north on the beach where you can find inexpensive, although a bit bland, food. Truth be told though, we found most of the food on the island pretty bland. The mini bar is pricey too but there is a convenience store in lower level where you can gets drinks and snacks for much less. The coffee shop on the reception floor has nice lattes and packages of rolls for breakfast but they sell out of pastries early so be there by 8am. There is a little coin operated laundry but it's pretty small for the whole hotel so go at a weird time of day (like 6am or 11pm) to ensure finding an open machine. The hotel is on the outskirts of Tumon so we were glad to have a car and there is plenty of parking. Dollar rental had the best prices when we were there. There is a tram that takes you into town but we never used it. Many people have complained about the internet and it's true you have to pay for service in your room. There is free wi-fi in common areas and 4 computers for guest use. Unless you are staying for work maybe you should disconnect from "back home" for awhile anyway. The staff was helpful and always pleasant. I have never stayed in a hotel this big and thought I might not enjoy it but was pleasantly surprised. The grounds are spacious, as are the rooms and the lobby. I felt very comfortable and not crowded by the other guests. I loved my stay here and highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend the Gun Beach side as the view is more serene. The Tumon Beach side will look into town...