“absolutely horrible hotel”

Outrigger Guam Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 15 April 2012

the outrigger series itself is amazing, waikiki's was very nice. unfortunately, guam's outrigger is not quite the same. the rooms are small, and we had a bad experience with security for being out late. the hotel counter itself fined us for something we didn't break; we didn't even know the hotel room had safes, and they were already broken by the time we got there. do not go to this hotel!

Room Tip: go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank funguy37
Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed 7 March 2012

This has got to be the best that Guam has to offer. We arrived really early in the morning and we reserved an ocean view we were given one of their best rooms, a one bedroom ocean front. It was really fancy, I loved the stylish plantation shutter windows in the room. Plus we had our very own balcony overlooking the pristine turquoise water and the beautiful beach. The bathroom was big, but a little outdated. The staff were extremely nice to us and even provided us with special seating every morning when we had our yummy breakfast feast. The location is fabulous for shopping and site seeing. I can't wait to stay here again. We're actually going back in a couple of weeks, hope we get an upgrade again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Room Tip: Have fun, and rent a car. The location is near everything and it's easy to go around. You won...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gwapocat
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My husband and I planned a honeymoon trip to Guam and stayed at Outrigger Hotel of Guam from Dec. 28th 2011 to Jan 1st 2012. When we checked in at the front desk, the guy (Brian Huang) who picked us up from the Guam airport kept saying that we need to pay early check-in charge to him. We didn’t know that guy and we didn’t even heard about his travel company, called ‘China International.’ We told the lady who helped us check in at front desk that we booked our trip thru our local agent in Taiwan and we did double check our trip included early check-in before we came. I was 5-month pregnant and my husband did call the hotel to confirm that we can do early check-in when we arrive. Finally, the lady checked us in and said we didn’t have to pay her any charge.
On Dec 29th and 30th, Brian Huang (who claimed he is the local tour guy) kept calling us late at night and threatened us that we would got caught at the airport if we didn’t want to pay him this charge. At the same time, we called our Taiwan agent and our agent told us we should not pay anything to them. Also, we went to the front desk and ask ‘again’ if we need to pay early check-in. The front desk said ‘NO’ and we just had a balance of US$1.5 charge on the phone use.
On Dec 31st, the front desk informed us that we had a message from ‘China International’ and again they asked us to pay that charge. A hotel manager came to the front desk, her name is Yumi Oka’ was very unfriendly to us and insisted that China International was our agent and we ‘have to’ pay the money (US$200+tax). I told her we didn’t know this travel agent but she walked away and didn’t want to listen to us to explain. Then she asked us to talk to Tiffany, who claimed she is the manager of China International. We explained the situation to her and she was trying to find out what was going wrong. However, we found that our room keys were de-activated and we got locked out by the hotel manager, Yumi Oka. We got very upset and extremely disappointed about the behavior and the attitude Yumi had toward us. She said she wouldn’t let us in until we pay the money. But I questioned her, “even I was responsible for paying this money, I can pay it when checking out. Why you locked us out now? “ We got locked out for 4 hours. During these four hours, my husband was talking to the other hotel supervisor, Mr. Li, to find out what went wrong. I had already felt dizzy and uncomfortable with my 5-month pregnancy. I’m a US permanent resident and have been living in California for almost 9 years. I’ve never seen a hotel treating their customers like this, locking the customers out to force them to pay the money that they are not supposed to pay. I highly felt that I got threatened, insulted and my personal freedom was attacked. Finally, Mr. Li asked us to pay $100+tax to get in our room and the hotel would provide us a receipt. (What was the standard of charges in this hotel?? How come the charges varied? The first two days, both front desk ladies said we have zero charge. The third day, hotel manager, Yumi, said we need to pay $200+tax and Mr. Li said we need to pay $100+ tax.) We felt the whole thing was so unreasonable. We finally paid the money was not because we thought we ‘had to pay.’ It was because I felt so ill and life- threatening by locking out by the manager, Yumi Oka. We were very disappointed that how this 5-start hotel trained their employees and treated their customers. I would never dare to stay in Outrigger Hotel anymore.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
51  Thank Lily C
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The room was spacious but too dark. Although he hotel has recently undertaken a refurbishment, the bathroom was shaddy and the lighting was broken in the living area which made the room even darker. There were both bathtub and shower booth in the room but water kept pouring out of the shower booth and soaked all the area any time we had a shower. Because of this, I decided to use the bathtub instead. However, I had to sit in the tub when taking a shower to avoid water pouring all over the bathroom since there was no curtain for the tub.

I was given the room on the Two lovers point side overlooking the dirty roof of the adjacent building. Morever, our room was very close to TGI's Friday where loud live music was playing until late at night on Saturday. The situation could be different if we were given the room on the other side of the building overlooking the pool area instead.

I had both prime rib&crab dinner buffer on Saturday night and Sunday bruch at the palm cafe. If you have to choose between these two, just go for the Sunday brunch since you can get all kinds of food offered in the dinner buffer and many other food and desserts more with the Sunday brunch.

The location of the hotel is the best in Guam. The beach is white with coral reef not so far away that I didn't need to go too far in the sea to snorkel. However, there were tons of aggressive Picasso fish which was very scary and annoying. The pool area of the hotel looked like a jungle which was very charming.

Hertz rent-a-car is on the lobby level of the hotel which is very convenient to those thinking of hiring a car.

Our plan included breakfast buffet and free airport shuttle service.

Although the room is not so impressive, I would definitely come back to this hotel again because of its great location, food and convenience.

Room Tip: Choose the room on the Hyatt side, not Nikko side.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Kumaneko
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Let's start with the negatives. We were able to check in quite late. It was almost 3pm when our rooms became available and considering that we got there before 6am (although we just left our luggages and proceeded to shop in Kmart and the Outlet Stores) and expected to be able to check in by 2pm, the wait seemed longer. You should expect a similar experience if you plan to stay there during peak season. (Note: we were not the only ones waiting to check in.)

The internet connection comes and goes. There were times when my phone could not detect the wi-fi.

Also, the next morning, there was a waiting line for the buffet breakfast as there was not enough space to accommodate the guests.

Of course, the negatives are probably the result of too many people wanting to stay at the Outrigger. Here are the reasons why.

First, it's located in the middle of all the nice shops. There's The Plaza within the hotel compound, the DFS Galleria across the street, and the Tumon Sands and JP Superstore which are both several meters away. There are also restaurants nearby. It's also very near the beach.

Our room was very nice, spacious and seemed to have everything we needed (including a coffee maker). It had a nice view of the beach. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever been on that I was tempted to ask for the brand of the mattress. The bathroom was spacious and complete with the usual supplies. I love the window panels (instead of drapes). They really bring character to the room. Plus, they make the room really dark if you want to sleep during the day.

The staff in the reception and buffet were very friendly and helpful.

The buffet breakfast was quite good. I wish they had more variety from one day to another though. Also, the omelette station was not impressive at all.

And perhaps to make up for the late check in (or maybe because there were not too many guests checking in at the time), we were allowed to check out at almost 4pm.

Over all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Outrigger.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank smalltravellingwoman
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed four wonderful (and affordable) nights at the Outrigger in Guam. Our first hotel stay in Guam -we are usually long term condo stayers. Expected the worst but got the very best! Deluxe Ocean View Room (10F) facing south. Recommend that side - but stay on the north side if you don't want the hot sun. Internet wifi is free. Breakfast buffet included. Buffet was so good we never went to Sunday Brunch as planned. Check in and out took only 30-40 seconds!! Housekeeing was great. Room was clean and well appointed. Beds were the BEST we have ever slept on. Pool area well disigned and never feels crowded. Nice Jaccuzzi by pool too. Never had to call the front desk once for anything and that says a lot in a place like Guam which is occasionally rough on the edges (see our review of one night at the Aurora Resort). Strongly recommend this for your stay.

Room Tip: Up high and close to beach. Close to elevator if you have walking issues.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3choice5dollar
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The Outrigger was a beautifully appointed place centrally located in the heart of the Tumon Bay. I stayed in a suite and all I can say was wow! The decor was really hip and modern, the robes and sandals were a welcome delight. The buffet at Outrigger was an affordable price and very delicious. The pool was clean and inviting and the beach was right out the back door. Parking in the garage was easy enough with the huge truck i had as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business