“Great place for families!”

Outrigger Guam Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Illinois
“Great place for families!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is one of 3 hotels we stayed at while on the island. The Outrigger 1) is located on a beautiful stretch of beach, complete with magnificent sunsets, 2) is in an excellent location as it is walking distance to several restaurants, shops & attractions, 3) has a family friendly, free-form swimming pool with plenty of seating and much vegetation and 4) offers multiple shops and restaurants inside the hotel/on the property and live music in the lobby. :-) The room we stayed in was nicely decorated and clean. :-) The balcony was extremely small, did not provide seating and offered a view of another building's roof. :-( The room's toilet broke during the night and water leaked on the floor. Maintenance was called and they did come to clean up the bathroom...not as quick as I think they should have considering the situation. :-( ... If you are looking for a fast paced, people filled, "heart of the action" hotel that is family friendly, this would be a very good choice. If you are looking for a laid-back, quiet, peaceful, "romantic" location, consider another option. ... Being here with children, it was a good fit for us and we would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room, on an upper floor, that has a "full ocean view"
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joyce0001
OutriggerGuamResort, Manager at Outrigger Guam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 December 2014
Dear Joyce0001,

I'm sorry to hear the challenges you've encountered with the toilet and our staff did not respond quickly to address the issue. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us reflect and strive for continual improvement.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and provide information. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrived early around 5 am at the Outrigger and wanted to check in (normal check in time 3 pm) we got room (524). This costs half of the room rate and we wanted to leave again ... mold in the bathroom, unpolished water cocks, bathtub, all dirty and from the balcony was no sea view, only look in the exhaust pipe of the kitchen (where is the sea view?). Then we get room (1139) and the same situation, view from balcony on rooftops and the bathroom was in the same bad situation. So back to reception and asked for a new room ...
Balcony chairs were dirty, TV did not work, AirCon dirty and water came outside...drop on the ground, Wifi does not work in our room, Toilet was overflowed (clogged), Key card did not work for 3 days, All Non smoking rooms but neighbor guests smoke in rooms, At the end we should pay more and they canceled our ordered taxi (4 o'clock in the morning).
The hotel has no private beach and there are no shady places. On a beach umbrella costs twenty dollars per person and you will be bothered by boat owners.
In addition, the locals came and start to grill (with a tent) at the beach or in front of restaurant. They wash their meat on the outside shower.
We had not booked breakfast at the hotel ... it was better (overpriced) .. the quality was not very good (cappuccino must paid and the coffee was ...)
The pool is very dirty and there is only an outside shower available.
The sea and the water quality are great, but unfortunately, the corals are destroyed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Zappel_in_Tokio
OutriggerGuamResort, Manager at Outrigger Guam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Zappel_in_Tokio,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for sharing your experiences of your last stay at the Outrigger Guam Resort.

First of all, I am sorry to learn we were unable to fully meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the several issues you have outlined in your comment. We want you to know how much we appreciate your business as well as your feedback since it will help us reflect and strive for continual improvement in our guestrooms and hotel facilities. Please rest assured that corrective action has being taken where applicable to prevent these issues from occurring again

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better at the Outrigger Guam Resort.

Si yu'os ma'ase,

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Our second visit to Guam, I knew I wanted to stay at the Outrigger. The beautiful soft sand and crystal clear beaches that are steps away from the hotel was the pull for me. When I booked online and reading the reviews I knew I had to book for the Voyagers lounge level. That included free breakfast and great cocktail hour on the top level of the hotel. We were there for 10days so we really got to know the hotel very well.
It was nice to wake up with the kids in the morning and not have to think about where to go but the lounge to have breakfast. Micheal and his crew were awesome. They brought what we liked to drink and what our kids like as well without asking. Being from Seattle we are huge coffee drinkers, Lovejoy brought us big coffee mugs instead of the little tea cups when she was present during her shift. The added touch went long ways for us and we left with a great impression on the hotel.
The beaches were great and if you are spending all day there, it's worth to spend $ for the chairs and equipment including the price. The Beach restaurant on the beachside was great, especially compared to PIC or Onward food . Their food was typical who knows what kinda meat hot dogs that are overpriced or $$$ Cup a noodles. The outrigger beachside restaurant had real BBQ hamburgers that were tasty .
The pool of the hotel was nice but not the best. It tends to be overcrowded and you have to jockey for pool chair early.
The location was one of the other key factor to this hotel. You have two cafe and two ABC stores nearby. The hotel is connected to many shops including Hard Rock and Underwater World.

The only negative was the housekeeping. We book for family of four on our reservation and still they kept bringing us only two towels. One night we came back to our room and was left with zero towels. When we were going to bed, housekeeping knocked on our door at 9:30pm handing out towels. I thought that was strange, maybe short on towels earlier??

That was our only negative, other than that we truly enjoyed our stay at the Outrigger.

Room Tip: Even rooms on 20th and 21st floor. Voyagers lounge level is a must for families.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 250MarikoC
Dear 250MarikoC,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for sharing the experiences of your stay at the Outrigger Guam Beach Resort. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your comments about Voyager Club Lounge, our hosts (staff) and the beach restaurant. I'm sorry to hear the challenges you've encountered with the number of towels provided. I've shared the comments with housekeeping Department to address the issue.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently had a couple day business trip to Guam. I had our local manager set up my room. I am normally a Marriott person so I was bummed to see that there was no Marriot on the island. When I arrived to the Outrigger I was impressed by the property. While checking in I was happy to hear about the access to the lounge on the 21st floor for breakfast and drinks and light snacks in the evening. I hopped on the elevator and made my way to the 21st floor in search of my room. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had been upgraded to a suite. The room was very nice with a great view of the beach and water. I was very pleased. Additionally, we held an event at the hotel for a few of our customers that I was in town to meet. Rather than go to a local restaurant, we booked the penthouse at the hotel and had the hotel chef put our dinner together. It was nothing short of awesome!! The room offered the most beautiful view of the sunset that I had seen in a very long time. The food was amazing and the setting was perfect for hosting customers. I will return to the Outrigger when I make my next trip to Guam (next 30-45 days).

Room Tip: N/A - All rooms have ocean view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brett M
Dear Brett M,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for sharing the experiences of your stay at the Outrigger Guam Beach Resort. We are glad that you enjoyed the view of sunset from your room, foods served at your banquet event and services.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to having you back on your next visit.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I returned to Guam after having lived there many years ago. The Outrigger really made us feel welcome! The views, the staff, the room, the pool and beach... all really helped to make our time there special. The only thing that took us off guard was that the beachfront umbrellas were charged separately. Free seating and shade is only available poolside (as long as you're a guest). I understand this policy, as it is a public beach. Just be prepared. The bathroom (hard to keep water from leaking out of shower) and the balcony doors were in a little bit of disrepair, but I found this forgiveable. There was also no real portico, to stop for a 15 min. check-in, as for the most part the buses take up that space. If you rent a car, best to just drive right up into the parking structure - location of which wasn't immediately clear, but they ALWAYS had a parking attendant there, so easy to simply ask where to go. This is a great place to stay! But don't just stick to the hotel. Guam has a lot to offer!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
OutriggerGuamResort, Manager at Outrigger Guam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear HooVille2014:

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Outrigger Guam Resort. We appreciate the candid feedback on our facilities and services. Your insight and comments helps us with our improvement efforts.

I'm glad you had a wonderful time. Take care.

Janet Shmull
Marketing Manager
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Outrigger has full amenities. The oceanfront suite was perfect for our family with a separate living area ... Very spacious. We especially enjoyed meeting Lovejoy, a concierge in the Voyagers club. She was not only warm and friendly and patient with all our questions, but she went the extra mile for us. She introduced our teenaged girls to kelaguen and now they are fans of this Chamarro dish! The staff here at the hotel is extremely attentive. We stayed for five days and four nights...July 27-31, 2014. It was our third stay but our girls first. They want to come back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pacificislands
Dear pacificislands,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for your review of Outrigger Guam Beach Resort. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed the hospitality of our Hosts (staff) and your room.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to having you and your family back on your next visit.

Changhua County, Taiwan
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I'd been reading comments about the hotel ever since I started planning my birthday trip to Guam. I saw a lot of mixed reviews but mostly good!

My opinion is, if you are like me, not wealthy (but financially stable) but need to splurge every now and then, Outrigger is the perfect hotel! I, myself, was a poor grad students for two years and have spent the last year saving money after finally moving up in the world. Outrigger was heaven for me!! Although, my parents are seasoned travelers (and love a teensy bit of luxuery) and I know for a fact they'd love this hotel.

The Good:
1. The Palm Cafe breakfasts are amazing! Strawberry and blueberry pancakes! They have a mix of Western and Asian/Japanese style to fit both cultural breakfast needs. And the staff was so nice!

2. LOCATION! It's super close to the beach, close to the shuttle/bus stops (although you still need to cross the street to get to the DFS shuttle stop and walk down a ways to get to the other stop for some of the lines).

If you can't rent a car, stay here! If you can rent a car, then you have more freedom.

3. The pool! But if you don't have kids, you need to visit the pool during the week and around dinner time to get the peace and quiet. I loved the pool and makes for a great photo of sunset on the beach.

4. The rooms. I was perfectly happy with my room. My view wasn't as good as I hoped but I still got some gorgeous photos of Tumon Bay!

5. Nice staff (although I think I was starting to get on one girl's nerves because I kept asking if my room was ready - sorry for that!)

6. The cleaning staff was so concerned (that's a GREAT thing) because I put up my "Do not disturb" sign for a couple days. I only used one bed and I didn't make such a mess every day so cleaning wasn't needed every day and I didn't want to give them more work (I used to work at hotels). But one day she saw me and told me she noticed the sign and if I was sure she didn't need her to clean. That was really considerate and I told her not to worry as I was checking out the next day. :D They really care about making sure everyone is happy!

7. The hotel is connected to a shopping center. :D

The Not-as-Good but still OK:

1. This hotel is super SUPER popular so check-in is at 3pm. Not so good if you arrive at 6am like I did. That said, there is a place to keep your suitcase until then AND just be prepared to change into your swim suit (or arrive with it on already), and put some money down on beach chairs and umbrellas until check-in time!

2. Wi-Fi in the room was OK, but I had some issues. But...Wi-Fi all over the island seems a bit strange...

3. The bathroom was so nice but I guess I was hoping for a better bath tub and shower head. I won't complain. Still ten times better than my own apartment's shower, but was hoping for more like those waterfall ones.

4. I don't know if this is possible or affordable but more water bottles in the room. It's hot in Guam (though not as hot as where I live now in Taiwan) and it was nice to have the two water bottles in the room, but I get dehydrated fast. I know you can buy water in the stores nearby but sometimes, you forget when you go back to your hotel and it's time for bed. Or maybe I could have asked for them but just didn't know...?

I'm so grateful I chose Outrigger as my hotel for this trip! Thank you all for making it such a wonderful experience for me!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Breanna711
Dear Breanna711,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for sharing experiences of your recent stay at the Outrigger Guam Resort. I appreciate your comments and feedback regarding our facilities and services. We value your comments, both the positive and the negative, it gives us an opportunity to review where we are doing well and where we need to improve. We would love to have an opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future if your travels bring you back to Guam.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Guam.