“Great Pool”
Review of Hyatt Regency Guam

Hyatt Regency Guam
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times in my life for various reasons and it's always been amazing because my dad always gets the presidential suite connected to a regular suite. Nice dining area, reading area, and a huge balcony with a hammock. The bathroom in the presidential suite is huge enough to run around in. The regular suite is really cute too because there is a big window that connects the bathtub area with the room (the room would get humid easily though.. which can suck). The pool has always been really nice. The staff is really friendly.. even though they're a little too friendly to young girls. But what else is new at a vacation resort.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cremebrulee0331
Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed 23 August 2010

I fly out to Guam from San Francisco and we stayed at the Hyatt. It was a nice hotel. When we first got escorted to our room by the hotel staff they opened our sliding door to the balcony and I heard Reggae music being played from the pool area and people were lounging around enjoying themselves. I felt really relaxed and the hotel is located in a great area.

Tumon bay is a nice beach! Crystal clear water and it's really warm! If you stay at the Hyatt make sure to visit Jamaican Grill a few blocks down for some great island style bbq!

My only downfall was jet lag! I arrived at night in Guam and it was morning time in California so my body didn't adjust to well. You can't blame that on the hotel but if you do fly to Guam from the "states", make sure you get plenty of rest on the way over! I would like to visit Guam again sometime in the near future! Beautiful Island!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We moved to this hotel after spending our first 10 days on a military TLA rate at the Hilton. August is the peak of tourist season on Guam and the Hilton could not extend us past our original reservation because they were booked. Eight other hotels in the village of Tumon were booked, lucky for us, the Hyatt could take us for 8 days. This was great as we would be moving into our new home on the day of check-out.

We were told that it is against Hyatt policy for guests to push/pull the luggage cart. The front door staff were very helpful in loading the luggage from my vehicle to the hotel. Check-in was smooth overall; it took 3 front desk staff to verify my TLA rate of $95/night. We had to wait 10 minutes for our room because housekeeping was still preparing it. The hotel was packed with tourists and everyone was checking in at 3pm.

I was very impressed with our room. Compared to the Hilton, it was “luxurious.” We had an oceanfront room with a very impressive view from the second floor. These 2nd floor rooms appear very basic compared to the hotel room photos on their website. I noticed that everyone we ran into on the 2nd floor was either American or in the military; I can’t help but assume that they put us all on the same floor in these basic rooms because we pay less for the rooms compared to the tourists. We had 2 full-size beds, a desk, 2 desk chairs, a lounge chair with ottoman, a large in-room safe, toilet/bidet, soaking tub, very clean shower stall with water that gets warm/hot quickly, modern flat-screen TV, lots of space. The downfall was that they charge $20 to empty the mini-bar, so I just asked my kids not to go in it. I really wanted to use the fridge, but refuse to give them $20 to empty it. Not only is that just wrong, but that’s a rip off. Another downfall- no complimentary wi-fi in the room. There is high-speed internet access, but I believe it’s $20/24-hours. I refused to pay that, too. There is free wi-fi in the lounge/lobby and you’ll be joined by other Americans, US military, and other tourists who refuse to pay for in-room internet, as well.

We had a bit of a disaster one early afternoon. We woke up from a nap to a downpour of water coming from a light and another fixture in the ceiling of the closet area. We called the front desk immediately to report the problem. 5-10 min later, water was still pouring down and we made a 2nd call to report it again and request to be moved to another room. They told us the hotel was booked, but we called before 3pm (check-in) and said we didn’t feel safe in this room even though their engineers were working on the problem. My luggage and clothing in the closet were all wet and we felt that the light fixture may spark later in the evening. Though we were extremely unhappy with the “we’re booked,” response, we were stuck as all other hotels in the area were booked. 20-30 minutes later, the front desk called and said they would be moving us to another room. Approximately 3-4 hours later, we moved into our new room down the hall and were very satisfied. I was really worried that we’d be forced to stay in that first room and have to use the bathroom in the dark (bathroom and closet are all in one open space), or have a second down pour. Although things did not happen more quickly, I was satisfied that we were moved. In the States, I expect things would happen faster, but things are different in Guam.

They have a very nice fitness center. 4 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, ceiling fans, A/C, and a second floor for free weight work. There is adequate parking in the garage, but don’t park on the first 2 levels as those are reserved for the valet. Their beach access is great. The pools are huge and there is a slide. We didn’t use the pools as they were packed with tourists and their rafts, flotation devices. We drove out to use the Naval Hospital pool; it was more peaceful there, no tourists, and has a lifeguard on duty.

The café has large bowls of fruit for $5, blended coffees concoctions, many desserts, and other snacks. I didn’t eat at the Niji or La Mirenda restaurants.

Also, a word about cell phones. If you have a BlackBerry from the States, take out the battery or turn it off unless you have free roaming on Guam (which I doubt you’ll have unless you were with Sprint). Calls and data are very expensive, so as soon as you can, go to one of the cell companies and see if you can use your BlackBerry on Guam. My husband used Verizon in the States. IT&E here on Guam was able to easily change the SIM card and use the phone on the IT&E network, with a new contract of course. This saved us from purchasing a new BlackBerry at the price of $199 for the Curve 8330. If you use your Sprint phone on Guam, you’ll probably be alright, but expect poor call quality and some dropped calls as you’ll be roaming (This is what I’ve been told by Sprint users. I have been disappointed with Sprint in the past and choose not to use them even if it means free roaming on Guam).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank NavyNurse1998
Reviewed 9 May 2010

After hearing so many negative stories about Guam, I was positively surprised by the Hyatt and the beach in Tumon. The Hyatt is an older building (like most of the hotels in Guam) but has done a good job of refurbishing the lobby and rooms. We found the lobby and room quality to be in line with some of he better Hyatt properties in the region -- i.e., pretty good. That said, there isn't anything special about the property. This is a large, package tourist focused resort primarily catering to the Japanese and members of the US military.

The beach in front of the property is long, has white sand, and attractive turquoise water. It gets a lot of visitors but it is more attractive than I had been led to believe.

Best things about the property:

- attractive modern and recently refurbished lobby area and rooms
- central location
- numerous pools
- location at the center of Tumon beach
- free wireless internet in the lobby
- spacious bathrooms
- attractive beach views from balconies

Biggest disadvantages:

- terrible coffee (brown water) with no good options close by. this would be a good place to try out VIA
- lack of in-room wireless internet access
- packed during Japanese holiday periods. felt a bit like rush hour Yamanote-sen at breakfast
- absolutely useless concierge service. concierge had no clue about local restaurants and was only able to recommend in-hotel options. this is inexcusable.

One tip that we didn't pick up on until our second (and last) day is that there is a red shuttle bus that runs tourists to most of the major sights (i.e., malls) and along the main street. They run very regularly so there is no real reason to take a cab if you plan to visit Guam Premier Outlets or the Mall of Micronesia (both of which aren't really worth visiting anyway unless you want to go to a movie).

I think this is a solid option in Guam. It definitely looked nicer than the other properties that we observed as we walked down the beach.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Japan_Gaijin
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The hotel is older like many in Guam, but has done some refurb in areas. Its a good location with very good staff in all areas especially in the Club Lounge. The Lounge is really good and has a generous selection. It is however popular with families so there were many small children running around in the Lounge. I don't like the style of bedding where there is no sheet, only a doona, so it can be either too hot or too cold. A lot of Hyatts seem to do this. On our last day there was a huge conference event on the beach with very loud music for hours and part fo the pool area was closed off and then cruise ship visitors in town for the day also arrived making what was a usually relaxing and lovely area, an absolute nightmare. Really disappointing to have conference and cruise ship on the same day. Rates are fairly high compared to other pacific islands and overall Guam needs some updates to make it a better destination. The new Outrigger looks like possibly the best option and the Marriott could be the worst - very run down and negected in the public areas.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2010

The location is really good...right on the central area with walking distance to shopping malls.
The food is ok, meeting the standard, and swimming pool is great for kids.
Before we go, we thought that the hotel has a private beach for guests to use...but only when we were there, we found out that it's actually not completely free! You need to pay $20 or so to get the chairs...so we just walk a little bit along the beach and then return to the swimming pool

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yxc166
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Stayed here with my son over Spring Break Last year. Very well planned, well maintained hotel located in the center of Tumon Bay. Rooms are big with outstanding views of the bay, but by far the beast feature of the hotel are the pools. They have about 5 pools, all connected by waterslides and surrounded by waterfalls and beautiful landscaping. Snorkling in the bay is excellent--we found bright blue starfish and lots of live sea shells. I would recommend water shoes as there are a lot of sea cucumbers once you get about 5 feet deep, which kinda freaked my son out. Definitley head out to the reef and check out the fish and live coral. If you have access to the Navy base, I highly recommend snorkeling at Gab Gab beach; some of the best snorkeling I've done in warm; crystal clear water.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family