“BEAUTIFUL Island/Excellent hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Galax, Virginia
“BEAUTIFUL Island/Excellent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks while visiting a family member. First, I thought the front desk staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. We checked into a room at a very reasonable rate. We had a view of the bay, and very clean room and never heard any noise from the surrounding rooms. We dined in the Fish Market twice..it was excellent and reasonable for the island. We went to the Tree Bar several times, watched the show, had the best Mango Mojito ever, and lucked into some free appetizers at happy hour. We used the fitness center daily. It is HUGE! I think it is the best hotel fitness center on the island. The staff there was very nice also. I took a Zumba class one day which was a really great class. The classroom even had a cushioned floor! The Deli in the lobby was staffed with the nicest ladies. It became our late night habit to order tea in the lobby and sit and talk, or sit with our computers.

Now for the drawbacks to the hotel: It was very difficult to find a chair by the pool. There are chairs by the sea also, but the chairs are set on a terrace and you take steps down to the water. For those people who love shade, there are trees that hang over the beach chairs. Water shoes are necessary in this part of the bay (not uncommon for Guam) because of the rocks in the water. I do think that the other Tumon Bay hotels have better beaches, but if you have a car or transportation, you can visit other beautiful beaches. There is a public beach property that
The biggest dissapointment was the Spa. I had planned a Spa date with another person. I had imagined a little more than what was available. Well....the spa was in the older part of the hotel and it was difficult to find the entrance (first clue). When I asked the receptionist if I could take a shower she looked upset and said she would have to check (??) She came back and said I had only 10 minutes to shower. (We arrived at the Spa very early for our appointments). It turns out that the Spa rooms are in what looks like former hotel rooms. There were lockers, but they were installed over the former hotel bathtub/shower. The shower was outdoors, but was completely private and enclosed. There was a hot tub in the room...outdoors, but it still had someone else's bubbles in it. The entire experience was weird and unsettling, certainly not the relaxing Spa day that I had envisioned. I went there because it was a Mandara Spa (I had visited Mandara Spas in other countries and in the US). The Spa experience was so weird that I actually started laughing during my massage. It actually gave my family a great thing to joke about for the rest of the trip.

I absolutely would stay here again. It is very clean and the staff was always friendly. The beds were comfortable and I slept well. There is an excellent tennis center on the property that seemed to be very popular. We danced to a dj at the Tree Bar and heard live music at Roys. I thought the price was more reasonable for a premier hotel than the other hotels in Tumon. We did have access to a car so we were able to visit other beaches during our stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor, just up the steps. I think this is an older section, but we never...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank newsongwalking12
HiltonGuam, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear Newsongwalking12,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed our various restaurants from Fisherman’s Cove, Caffe Cino to the Tree Bar. The Tree Bar is a great place to sit and relax and enjoy the ocean view. We are very proud of our staff and its great to know that you experienced the warmth of the islands hospitality. We apologize that you were not able to find a chair at poolside. Our poolside is quite popular and does get crowed at times and we are looking to add additional seating. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel..

Hilton Guam Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

So apparently there are 3 sections of the hotel, the main hotel, the delux and then the tasi club. We stayed at the Tasi club. From the start Charity in reservations was super helpful in deciding our room, answering our questions and being super prompt on email. We had a 5 AM flight and the hotel shuttle could be booked for pick up. Her helpfulness was a big factor in us deciding to stay here and probably return here too.

Tasi club is 4 stories high. Quiet property. AMAZING ocean views. Fantastic night time entertainment. 4 pools and water slide to keep many a big and small kid amused. They have a 24 hour coffee shop that is really good. An indoor arcade games area is perfect for a rainy day. The rooms were clean and well maintained.

The not so happy part. There does not seem to be a bell boy to assist you when you arrive at 5 AM with 4 bags, a stroller and a car seat ! It was a bit of a walk to the Tasi culb desk and no one was there when we reached. A sign said go to front desk. After a long journey and a preschooler in tow, and the luggage we did not appreciate that at all. Also there is no real beach. There are kayaks and water cycles you can rent but don't look for the sandy strech to build castles on.

Breakfast and cocktail in the evening was complimentary. The breakfast was good but they ran out of white bread and butter and had to get it from the main hotel which meant by the time they got it I had lost my appetite. The coffee machine needed refills of milk. The hot plate for the scrambled egg was not turned on so that meant cold egg. Selection was decent. The evening cocktail serves wine, champagne and juices as standard and there is a list of other stuff you can request. We did not ask for it.

All in all,- great staff, always smiling and helpful. Clean spacious rooms. Decent breakfast. great night entertainment. Fantastic pool with slide. Go for it !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank TGPA
Fawn Grove, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Love to stay here when in Guam. The tree bar/restuarant is always a great place to unwind in the evening.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kimcol1
Dear Kimcol1,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad that you enjoyed our Tree Bar. It is a great place to unwind in the eveing, especially with the beautiful backdrop of Tumon Bay.

adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hilton Guam Resort and Spa in July and we had a fantastic stay. The rooms were very comfortable and the views over Tumon Bay were spectacular. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Special mention goes out to Christopher in Concierge, Aerial in exec lounge who makes some fantastic cocktails and Rynel in the treetop bar.

Roys restaurant was a highlight for my girlfriend and I. The food was fantastic and there was always service with a smile. The best part was heading to the lounge after dinner and listening to Stevie and Miko(I think it was Miko, not to sure about her name). The two of them have great voices and get really involved with the crowd.

While the beach out the front of the Hilton is not the best it makes up for this with 5 fantastic swimming pools. The spa bath at sunset is a particular highlight.

The location to all the shopping in Tumon is also not the best but I preferred this as you are away from all the hustle and bustle and noise. If shopping is your thing just head to concierge and they will be able to give you advice on the red tiki buses that come every 8 minutes to the front of the hotel. (Watch out guys. If you come with your girlfriend or your partner then bring your credit card as the shopping is terrific.)

Room Tip: Anything with an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suede16
Dear suede16,

Thank you very much for your comment and especially in recognizing our team members. Our staff always go above and beyond to ensure that our guest experience the Hilton spirit. Roy’s is definitely a great place for dinner and we are glad that you were able to dine there during your stay.

Nagoya, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed in the hotel for second time. Again booked Hilton deluxe plus rooms incl breakfast. Room do need a bit of renovation especially the bathrooms. But it did not spoil our pleasure. House keeping staff very friendly and helpful. Good buffet breakfast with good choice for kids. Like the kids paradise corner in the restaurant. Parents can also enjoy their breakfast. Hotel has couple of coin laundries which are very useful with young kids. Wireless in lobby and business center working well. Nice swimming pools with beautiful view of Tumon bay. Will for sure go there again

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jans_family
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

They simply don't know how to handle business customers.
- I work with sales people all the time and the sales staff at Hilton is unprofessional & unresponsive to say the least.
- I was willing to giving them more business provided they work with me but they don't care and I'm ready to take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank R N
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I was used to staying at the Hyatt in Guam. I was first let down by the room and the lack of a beach and the pools are nothing like the Hyatt, also way off the strip of shops. First, it appears that one tower is better than the other, I was moved from the main tower to the premier tower, room was slightly better. Second, the fitness facility is probably the best I have ever seen in a hotel. Third, as part of my per diem package free breakfast buffet was included.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank jagwire858
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Hyatt Regency Guam
#5 of 20 in Tumon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,128 reviews
Dusit Thani Guam Resort
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort

Been to Hilton Guam Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!