“A five star, using Guam standards”

The Westin Resort Guam
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
West Virginia
“A five star, using Guam standards”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Other reviewers mentioned the mildewy in room odor. This is attributed to the hotel electrical conservation program whereby when leaving the room, and taking your key card out of the slot, everything turns off, including the air conditioner. In this high humidity, on the beach environment, the room gets very humid, hence the odor. The staff, front desk, pool side, bar, etc. are very friendly and accommodating. The hotel beach is very clean. Of note, the sand, out of the water is fine and walkable with bare feet. However, in the water, the coral based sand is tough on the feet, its almost like walking on sharp rocks. I thought it was just my tender feet but, every one entering the water quickly did their impromptu rendition of a Mexican hat dance.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 12th floor are quieter, further away from the street noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank jpcalo8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2011

AaaanceIt was my first visit to Guam and we booked Westin Resort through hotel.com. We chose to stay at Westin because it is close to main city area. It is close to restaurants and shops such as Galleria. Most shops are within walking distance. You can also catch a bus which loops around shopping district for $10 a day.
Hotel was not far from the air port. It cost us $22 by taxi. Our room was a sea view room with two queen size beds. Room was quite big and clean and beds were very comfortable. It had a very nice view of Tumon bay. Hotel had its own private beach next to its swimming pool. Beach was very shallow and warm with many tropical marine lives. Beach was excellent for swimming and snorkeling. It was very safe beach for kids as well. I and my wife spent most time on the beach!! Kayak hire and scuba diving was also available at a cost on the beach. Hotel also offered free parking for guests and car rent was also available at the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We will return next time!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank mapper9209
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I booked a club room for 3 nights. Everything was nice except the service, they should tell you when you book the "royal beach club" rooms that check-in is all the way upstairs. We walked to the main lobby only to be told to go all the way to the top floor to check-in. During check-in I was told my room was ready but they forgot to check to make sure it was actually ready. I was told to wait 15 min while the send someone to make sure the room was ready. So during that time I decided to see if the boxes I had sent ahead had arrived yet, when I asked the club attendant he called down to the bell desk to see if the boxes were there and they were, he told me they were on my way to my room and would be there when I got there... 5 mins later when I got to the room no boxes. The next thing was the DVD/surround sound system was unplugged when I got there, noticed the plug on the end was not American style. I called the front desk and was told someone was on their way to fix it...this was never fixed for the duration of my stay. This was just the start...you get the drift, the team at this hotel is failing at the service standard.

• Stayed October 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Probably really nice for Guam's standards, but a little off for a usual Westin... I've been here for a little over a week, and it's a nice place w/ really great service. However, there are a few little things that make it a little worse than you might expect from a Westin. The location is outstanding, and the pool/beach area are great. However, the musty smell in the rooms, the T.V.s randomly turning on in the middle of the night, and the marks on the room walls make me wonder about the staff's attention to detail. It has a well-appointed workout room although it's poorly lit, and the spa looks as though it would be great - although I haven't tried it.
The outdoor bar at the pool is a great place to hang out, but don't get too excited about the food... The wings may give you cardiac arrest on the spot, and the burgers taste gamey, at best. However, the location probably can't be beat - snorkeling right off the beach is great, and you can charge a kayak & gear right to your room.
Not really a big fan of Guam right now, but the hotel isn't too bad - definitely the top 3 in Tumon...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank jeff_c130
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Though I was just here for one night as I was transiting through Guam, I enjoyed the hotel atmosphere and views from around the hotel. The room was fine. Though there was no hot water coming out of the shower and bath tub, only the faucet. To get to and from the airport it's $25 one way via the hotel shuttle service or about $22 via taxi. A little much considering the airport is about 3-4 miles away or so. Other than that nothing really else to comment about.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank 1stClassJetSetter
Rincon, Georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Overall, mine and my husband's experience with this hotel was good; however, we do feel there is room for improvement. Here's our review breakdown in detail:

The Good: We liked the overall layout of the hotel with easy access to the main street- shopping, restaurants, etc. We liked the on-site security guards on duty and free garage parking, this made us feel safe. We liked the friendliness of the staff, especially the cleaning ladies and customer service mgr. (I think his name was Randy). We liked the pool areas, the beach areas, and the availability of rentals for kayaking, snorkeling, scuba, etc. We liked the entertainment offerings at the hotel including the magic show and lua- Guam style. We liked the comfortable bed, the view from our hotel room, the spacious bathroom (with separate shower), the flat-screen tv, and the free breakfast included with our room price.

Improvement Needed: Most hotels in the United States usually offer rooms with a small refrigerator and microwave standard..which is why we were surprised this upper scale hotel only offered a "cooler" which was ok, but definitely not refrigerator quality and no microwave. Humidity is a huge climate issue in Guam and it was an issue in our hotel bathroom, as well! The fan in the bathroom was not operational and did not work the whole time we were there (approx. 11 days)! We reported the issue to maintenance/cleaning staff, but it was never fixed. My husband takes hot showers, so not having a bathroom fan that worked was an issue.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions before booking any hotel and pay close attention to the room descriptions and...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mlworkman
Portland, OR
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I went there for my friend's wedding. All of us stayed at westin for 4 nights. I have been to many Westin hotels around the world. I wouldn't say this is the best one for Westin. However, it is one of the best hotels in Guam.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends