The Westin Resort Guam
  • Pool
US$227
US$206
Agoda.com
Fiesta Resort Guam(Tumon)(Great Value!)
US$275
US$147
Agoda.com
US$254
Orbitz.com
1,305 results
All reviewsroyal beach clubpregoheavenly bedtumon baypool barprivate beachupgraded roompool staffbeach frontthe club loungelobby areanice beachjapanese restaurantshopping and restaurantsoceanguamproperties
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was relieved to arrive in Guam after being in a pretty dirty place before, and found it a real pleasure to have a good shower with clean water and a nice bed to sleep in. The staff were very, very nice at the desk and truly helpful, and it is those ladies and the cleanliness of the property that made the place a pleasant stay more than anything else.

I was in a room with a partial ocean view. This in fact was nearly the last room in the rearmost part of the hotel away from the beach, but you could see the ocean standing outside on a nice balcony, and that view was good. Unfortunately, if you turned the other way, you had a clear view of Club Foxy Gentlemen's Club and a little carnival with rides that had a very, very loud megaphone that didn't quit until 12:00AM. I am surprised this is allowed by municipal code. The noise definitely comes through the windows, and through earplugs. If you're tired before midnight, it's a problem. But, just to show you are in neighborly Guam, the hotel did call over to the carnival and ask them to turn it down the first night: and they did turn it down! That was a pleasant surprise.

The location of the property is on one end of the "strip" of Gun Beach. It is on the end with the strip clubs, the massage parlors and the gun ranges. The property is set back enough from that so that you don't notice it immediately, but if you're exploring the area on foot or want to walk to a nearby restaurant, bar or shopping, you're going to be going past what look like pimps who are trying to scare up business. I was uncomfortable with this.

I sent out some clothes to be washed and one of my shirts came back with three staples and a laundry tag directly affixed to the hem. Despite a lot of time spent trying to carefully work out the staples with a pair of tweezers, there is now a hole in my shirt. I had to speak to a manager before the hotel would do more than credit me the $6 washing fee. Eventually I was credited the cost of replacing the shirt, which was reasonable. That I had to raise this to management, and have a bit of an argument with said management, was something I was not too happy about - this, slow bell service and some errors in my bill meant it took me an hour to check out of the hotel.

All in all, I am not sure I would stay here again. The property is up to snuff and everything is clean and cared for, and as I said, the young ladies at the front desk are really nice and very helpful. They had a lot of good advice. There's even a convenient Hertz rental car facility inside the hotel, which was great. But the carnival noise of the area and the weird strip/massage club environment outside the hotel really takes away from a nice place. The laundry issue and the way it was argued before resolved was a disappointment as well.

Room Tip: I think if you can avoid the carnival noise somehow, you should try to do so. Ask when reserving.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear JenniferS,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam to Renew your Mind, Body and Soul, and for taking the time to share your thoughts.

We are delighted to hear your compliments toward our staff as well as of the cleanness of the property which made your stay pleasant. We will certainly pass on the positive feedback to our team, as it will encourage them to continue to provide our guests with the excellent care and service that they deserve.

On the other hand, we sincerely regret that you had experienced the unfortunate inconvenience of the laundry service. We have also noted your comment regarding the outside environment and noise.

It is our desire to work towards excellence and to deliver personal and instinctive service. Your feedback will help our team to reflect and strive for improvement.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and we sincerely hope to be given another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, and truly experience the personal service of The Westin brand.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

First, most of the staff seem very pleasant. The Philippine ladies who look after breakfast were especially friendly. The beach is pretty enough, but no Bali, Cebu or Kota Kinabalu. The pool area feels slightly 1970s ish. To save anyone reading the rest of my miserable review, in a nutshell, previous visits to Guam suggest the Westin, like the Marriott and Hilton, falls short compared to sister properties in other parts of the world. Not sure why Guam hotels are so underwhelming. If I was a Japanese or Korean honeymooner (of whom there appear to be many on the island), think I'd be better off using my savings to go to Hawaii instead. Anyway … The longer version follows:

Among the main frustrations at the Westin, from least problematic to most problematic:

1) the public Wifi doesn't work in the Italian or Japanese restaurants downstairs (try holding a business meeting over a meal w/o any internet signal - it's positively second millennium!), and the in-room wifi remains something like 15 bucks per 24 hours, which is daylight robbery these days.

2) having paid the extra for a sea view room, the strange oval shape of the hotel means that, from what I could tell, very few rooms if any at all, have a truly unimpeded or total sea view. Certainly my view constituted 50% concrete carpark and abandoned concrete villas next door to the hotel, some cliff in the distance, and perhaps a third of the view was of the sea, if you turned your head enough to the left once outside on the balcony. Selling the room as a "sea view" was a misrepresentation, I would suggest. "Partial" should have been slipped in there somewhere. On this basis, there was very little value for money in the room rate.

3) On a four day stay you'd think your card key could be programmed not to expire after two days. But it did. And having a broken leg and being on crutches, I asked the housekeeper who was tidying the room next door to mine if she could help let me in to my room if I showed her my ID. She refused in a completely disinterested way - despite the fact I was standing there on crutches with a huge backpack - and instead she called someone from security. It took that person - who was very friendly and apologetic - nearly half an hour to reach me. I passed the time making phone calls, so it wasn't a massive problem, and yes, I could have gone down the long corridor, descended 16 floors and waded across the lobby, through all the passengers from the Japanese tour party that had just arrived ito the front desk and explained the problem, but it felt like a point of principle not to do so, so I stuck it out. Really though, the housekeeper could have demonstrated some common sense … And in any decent hotel pretty much anywhere else in the world, I think they would have offered to go collect a new key card for pretty much any disabled customer rather than glaring at them each time they walked out of the room they were making up to get something else from their housekeeping trolley. Maybe she was having a bad day … She and me both!

However, worst of all during this stay was:

4) the terrible sleep. The noise at 3am from the carpark, where trucks would collect the large trash containers was incredibly loud, and would have woken me up if wasn't for the fact that two out of four nights of my stay, at around 2.30 in the morning, my in-room telephone malfunctioned and started ringing completely of it's own accord with no one on the end of the line, and would only stop ringing after an extended period of being completely unplugged.

I told the front desk about the problem the first night and called to complain and to get the problem fixed the second night it happened. I guess an engineer was sent because my last night it didn't happen again. But there was absolutely no apology from anyone. No slip of paper under the door with a short message from the manager, no fruit plate to acknowledge the fault …

Yes, the beds were reasonably comfortable even if the under sheet felt like it was made of wee-proof industrial plastic. But on the basis of the telephone and the lack of apology, and the hostile lady who refused to help me get a new room key, I'll not be staying at the Westin again.

Room Tip: Beware of what you're paying for in choosing a "sea view" room. Certainly the higher floors are better and you'll see over the cliff line opposite (if staying on the east side of the hotel) but most of what you'll see is not … sea.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Ivan B
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear HK_Ivan,

We thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island, and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

It is truly unfortunate, and we are sincerely regretful that your stay and experience was not up to your expectations. Your valued comments regarding the service from our staff will be addressed with our team as it will help us strive for continual improvement. The engineering team has also been informed about the noise and telephone malfunction. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
We sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may experience a restful and pleasant stay. Until next time, be well!!

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel was everything I had read about in the reviews. Good location, powdery sand beach, not too crowded, friendly staff. My wife loved the Heavenly Bed- wished she could take the pillow home! Close to shopping but avoid the overpriced stores nearby, instead head to Macy's or KMart. We came during sale time and the bargains were unbelievable. No sales tax! Special thanks to Teresa of reservations who saved my reservation from a potential disaster. Will recommend others to stay here.Pricier than other hotels in area but well worth it.

Room Tip: Our corner room on the 14th floor had a great view of the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cysison
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear cysison,

Hafa Adai, Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam to Renew your Mind Body & Soul, and for taking the time to share your delightful experiences during your stay.

We are always excited when our guests share their wonderful experiences and enjoy their renewing stay with us. We appreciate your positive comments on our signature products of our Heavenly Beds, which truly provides a heavenly sleep. Your feedback on the friendly staff, great view and Hotel location are very much appreciated. We will pass on your positive feedback to Teresa, Reservation associate, for her Westin service.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

As a professional traveler, airline crew member I have over thirty years of extensive travel experience. I have stayed at the Westin Resort Guam for nine times in the last six months. The Westin Resort Guam at first glance is a pretty property. The views of the lagoon are outstanding but then all of the hotels on the strip have essentially the same view. The amenities in the hotel are very nice and the staff is exceptionally courteous and polite. The exercise room is decent though it could have more elliptical trainers. All of that said there are consistent and serious problems with the hotel. While we recognize that Guam is a tropical climate, the fact that most of the rooms stayed in smell like mold and mildew is problematic. If you can smell mold/mildew there is a build up in the rooms and air conditioning system. If you are allergic or have medical issues, or a weakened immune system this could be very serious. Even more problematic is that the rooms seem to only cool off for several hours each day. While we're not really sure why this is, whether the hotel has a problem with their system, or whether the system is inadequate, it happens. We've been alternately told by the hotel front desk that the system is fine, yet other staff members tell us that it is broken. One suggested that the hotel staff directs the air around the hotel as necessary because one of the main compressors is broken. In other words, your room will get air part of the day to try to balance out all the rooms. Whatever the problem the front desk says that there are no problems. Denial does not make fact. The fact is that the rooms do not adequately cool throughout the day and even in the night. There are plenty of other hotels on the island with adequate air conditioning. We strongly recommend staying in one of them. The problem currently is that the hotel management is not being truthful about the state of the air-conditioning and you'll have no way to know what you're going to get if you ask them.

Another significant problem with this hotel is the noise. The rooms have sliding glass doors that are old and not designed to be noise proof. This is usually okay if you have a room on the end of the hotel that is near the ocean/lagoon. If you are near the front of the hotel, the street side, especially the side that faces the "Gentleman's Club" you're going to hear noisy busses, road traffic, and often the loud megaphone blaring of the carnival across the street and up the road. Also, there are four rooms on each floor that open to the elevator area. The elevators BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP when the doors open. You will hear this all night long if you are in one of these rooms.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the inadequate air conditioning, then choose a room that is not the lagoon side as high as possible in the hotel. DO NOT choose one of the four rooms that open into the elevator area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Wendy S
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Wendy S,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to share your experience and thoughts.

We are delighted to hear your comments about our beautiful property, outstanding view of the lagoon and nice amenities. We are particularly honored to know that our associates were courteous and polite.

On the contrary, we have taken note of your valued concerns and we are sincerely regretful that you had poor experience during your stays, particularly with the AC cooling condition and noise. Your valued feedback has been shared with our engineering team. Please be assured that we will continue to strive to upkeep our service and maintain our Hotel rooms and its facilities.

Until your next stay... Safe flying!!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

the staffs were very friendly and room condition was very clean & good, especially bed and pillow was very very comfortable. and also, the beach is super close from the room(only 3 minutes..?).
even so close to shopping malls. a year ago, i've stayed "Outrigger resort", there was lovely hotel to stay. but if somebody ask me to recommend hotels in Guam, i would say "The Westin" without hesitation. (notice : the room type i stayed was 'ocean view' not 'partial ocean view', but i only could see half ocean.)

Room Tip: you don't need to choose room type 'ocean view'.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeehye B

Dear Jeehye B,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island, and taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

We are very much delighted to hear that your stay met your expectations. Thank you for your comments about our friendly staff, room cleanness and condition, our signature item “the Heavenly bed and pillow” and our location. We also took note of your valued comment regarding the view from the ocean view. We hope we can accommodate your view preference on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.