“A very good option”

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Positives:
- Very large beds
- Clean, spacious rooms
- Good quality of products, soap, shampoo, towels, coffee, etc in the room
- Check-in and check-out were a breeze
- All staff we dealt with was very friendly and helpful
- Ample parking under the hotel
- Close walking distance to shopping malls and restaurants

Negatives:
- The major negative I can say is that lobby is a very large atrium that goes all the way up to the top floor, so it's a very open environment. You can see the top floor from the lobby. Each floor, therefore, isn't in an entirely enclosed hallway. The hallways have the guest rooms on one side, and it is open to the lobby below on the other side. Our room was on the 6th floor (the lowest floor of guestrooms) so lobby noise was apparent. We could hear groups of people entering the hotel and hanging around in the lobby, making some noise at night. It wasn't enough to keep us from sleeping, but it was noticeable. I don't know if the noise gets quieter the higher you go up in the hotel, but it is something to consider. Try getting a room on the opposite side of the lobby (away from the beach side) as it might be quieter
- The rooms close to the beach are the ones that have an ocean view. I would imagine that anything on the back half of the hotel would NOT get an ocean view. I think our room was a "partial" ocean view but it wasn't that great.

Other notes (neither negative or positive, just observations)
- Pool is big, and there are a few of them arranged in different shapes. Definitely not the largest of pools but they are sufficient
- Beach area is on the small side (but I think most hotels have the same amount of real estate that are directly on the beach). The good part is that this hotel does have direct beach access.

If I came to Guam again, I would consider staying here twice if there was a good enough reason. Otherwise I might try another hotel. There wasn't anything exceptional that stood out that made me say "I will definitely come here again," but there wasn't anything negative that makes me want to avoid it in the future.

I am giving this hotel an "average" review overall because I am comparing it to hotels that I have stayed in around the world. It was my first time to Guam and I have nothing to compare it to on this island.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter 6th floor is the lowest floor of guest rooms and was a little lo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TheEveningPaper
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear TheEvenin,

We sincerely thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island, and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

We are delighted to hear your inspiring compliments such as “clean, special room”, “all staff was friendly and helpful” and that you refer to us as “A very good option”.

Your constructive feedback on specific areas that the Hotel needs to enhance upon is what helps us become a better Hotel, and for that we thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Resort Guam.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Resort Guam

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in the Westin as a staycation. I got the ocean view king deluxe and it was pretty good. It was musty but Guam is very humid so that is expected of not only hotels but of any place, especially if you expect a carpeted room. Traps the moisture in so no matter what hotel you stay at the musty smell will be there. My AC was very quiet to the point that I had to turn something on to get to sleep. There was a very deep bathtub and a separate shower which was awesome! It has a dual shower head that was kind of awkward and the glass doors had hard water deposits on them. Guam has excruciatingly hard water so I can understand it but since I know how to tame it at home, I don't see why they couldn't.

One thing I think people should know is that the hotel is oval shaped so even though it was an ocean view, it's not directly facing the ocean so you basically get half ocean half town. Partial ocean view means that you get to see a tiny minuscule of it.

The staff was wonderful! They gave me everything I asked for, got the local paper everyday and let me check out a little later than normal without extra charge. They like to make sure that people who are not guests to the hotel are not using their pool for free so they check for wrist bands which is kind of annoying but the gentleman who was doing it wasn't rude and was extremely accommodating while asking to see it which I thought was great since most other places that I've been to just walk up to you and give you the evil eye and demand that you show it. Even though I was already checked out, they let me continue to use the pool till I was ready to go.

I called in advance and asked if their TVs had an HDMI port and USB hook up so I could take something to watch movies and was told that there wasn't so I didn't take anything to watch but once there, found out that there was both on the TV. So that's good to know.

The pool is decent. Not huge but I didn't have any issues with it (my daughter had a lovely time and there weren't too many people in it). I was allowed to bring my own drinks as long as they were in a plastic container. I had a bottle of champs with me to make my own mimosas so because it was wrapped in a bottle koozie, they had no problems. They provided towels and free floaters for guests. I also took my BOSE mini speaker for music since they don't have any music.

The beach is beautiful, crystal clear and there were not too many ppl bothering me. You can't use their little bungalows but they do have some lounge chairs if you don't want to lay on a towel however those were all taken so I used my towel.

GUAMS main tourists are Japanese so any hotel you go to will cater to them. I had zero problems working with staff that spoke English since Guam is English speaking. It's very close to downtown which is nice and has awesome glass elevators so you can see what's going on.

The only place I ate was getting a mocha and finger sandwich at the little barista near the front desk. It was really good. A little expensive but I liked it a lot.

Room Tip: Just make sure to get the ocean view if you want to see any ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Bri T

Hafa adai!
Thank you for choosing The Westin Resort Guam as your destination to Renew your
Mind, Body & Soul; and, for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay.

We are delighted to find that your stay with us met your expectations. Thank you for your compliments for our service, particularly towards our staff. It is our pleasure to assist our valued guests and to ensure they have the best experience during their stay.

We regret that you were not properly informed by our associate regarding our TV connections. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. TV in our property is pre-set for HDMI, VGI, USB and AV. However, we do not provide the cables for these connections. Our Service Express associates will be more than happy to assist should you visit us again.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We will continue to strive to upkeep our service and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Booked the Westin for a dive focused trip. Looking at other hotels in the area, I feel the Westin was one of the better choices given the convenient location and overall cleanliness of the hotel. Given the humidity and close proximity to the beach, there are certain areas that need improvement but I believe the Westin has done a decent job of upkeep for this location. Would definitely come back to this hotel and would recommend others to do so, too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Kerwin G,

Hafa adai,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Resort Guam as your destination to Renew your
Mind, Body & Soul; and for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay.

We are very much honored that you regard us as a “Very Good Hotel for Guam” and that you “would definitely come back”.

Thank you very much for giving us your gift of feedback. We will continue to strive to upkeep our service and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed at the Westin for a business trip to Guam. The hotel is nicely appointed and is located near a busy stretch of the Tumon strip, so there is a lot nearby. My room smelled musty, which I suppose is normal due to the high humidity in Guam. The AC is noisy. The wired internet did not work (and also did not work for most of my co-workers staying there). The wireless worked fine. The buffet breakfast was very good. Staff were friendly and helpful Since this was the only time I have stayed in a Guam hotel, I can only compare it to nice hotels I've been to elsewhere - based on that standard it is not bad, but I was not overly impressed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sheiksan
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Hafa Adai sheiksan,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam for your home away from home.

We are very much honored to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and that our staff was friendly and helpful.
On the contrary, we have taken note of your comments regarding the musty smell in the room, the AC noise and the wired internet not working properly. Your valued feedback has been shared with our team and will help us to improve our quality and service.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay and we hope to welcome you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

Until then, safe travels!
With best regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at this property and were very disappointed. According to other Tripadvisor reviews, this is the best resort in Guam - this couldn't be more misleading. Rooms look old and are pretty smelly. We asked for 3 days to have the shower cleaned - all our requests were ignored. As a SPG member, we expected our requests to be taken into consideration - wrong! We have a Westin heavenly bed at home and we immeditaly realized that the bed at Westin Guam was not the same kind. Bed linen were not even long enough to cover the whole bed - having feet touching a plastic coverage insted of a proper bed linen was completely unpleasant. We tried the Italian restaurant and the Sunday brunch; both were disappointing and way over-priced. All in all, do not waste your money, stay somewhere else! This peoperty doesn't even care about beach service and the pool are is really small, without any proper garden area.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank shanshan_shanghai
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear ShanShan_Shanghai,

We sincerely thank you for choosing the Westin Resort, Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

It is truly unfortunate, and we are sincerely regretful that your stay and experience was not up to your expectation. We have paid attention to your valued comments and have addressed your concerns. Your feedback will help our team reflect and strive for continual improvement. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may experience a restful and pleasant stay.
Until next time, be well.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We, a family of four (two boys 3 and 1), are just in the door from this hotel.

I am an SPG Platinum.

We booked 5 nights at the Royal Beach Club rate.
> beachfront Cabana and bottled water.
> breakfast and happy hour.
> decently-located room (20th floor towards the front of the property).
> shuttle service to shopping.

I am quite surprised by some of the negative comments on here as our stay was nothing short of perfect.
> breakfast was more than enough.
> beachfront cabana was nice in the hot sun.
> happy hour provided a decent amount of complimentary drinks and food.
> room was very quiet and clean (we were in bed by 9 most nights and slept soundly as long as we wanted).
> there are coin-operated ($4 for a wash and dry and soap is available at the front desk) laundry machines on the 6th and 14th floors.

If anything,
> it would've been nice to have been reminded about the daycare service when we checked in.
> RBC direct line I was given (6516) was wrong.
> no upgrade (Chinese new year).

All in all, a great visit...we are already looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: High room towards the front. Look for RBC (Royal Beach Club) rates.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AlexInJapan
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear AlexInJapan.

Hafa Adai,

Thank you for your patronage with Starwood Hotels & Resorts and for being a SPG Platinum member. We appreciate your recent visit to the Westin Resort Guam, and for sharing your thoughts and experience.

We are very delighted to hear your compliments regarding our property; particularly for the Royal Beach Club and its benefits. We noted your valued thoughts as well. We will pass on your much appreciated comments to our team.

Thank you, again, we look forward to welcoming you at your next visit.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Westin in Guam is one of Guam's best. It is not "world-class best." It is "Guam best." As some reviewers have commented, yes, there are some details such as a few broken tiles around the pool and an occasional beer cap on the beach (which is accessible to the public). But what they probably haven't done is compared Westin to the other Tumon hotels here in Guam. If they had done so, they could say without hesitation that Westin is a top choice when staying in Guam. We've stayed at both Westin and Hilton, and have explored the grounds of Nikko, Onward, Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, PIC, and several other properties.

Westin's beach is a fine powdery sand beach that is clean and soft for sand-castle-building. Other hotel beaches do not have this type of sand. Hilton doesn't even have a beach. Nikko beach is outside of Tumon Bay, so the waves are quite dangerous for children. Overall, Westin wins the beach category!

Westin has two pools and two hot tubs. The pools are comparatively boring, but they are not at all unsubstantial. When there is fabulous, pristine, clear ocean just a few feet away, the pool is completely secondary anyway. The pools' best feature is that there are areas of shade provided by a bridge, a waterfall, and palm trees. Other hotel pools do not have much protection from tropical sun.

The rooms are all pretty standard Westin rooms. The linens are clean and bath products average. Rooms on the ocean side are definitely quieter. We have stayed in both sides of the hotel, including in a suite.

Hotels in Guam all universally suffer from mildew. It's a fact of the tropics. But Westin does its best to deal with it, and compared to other hotels, Westin cares about this problem and will send a housekeeping person to clean up any evidence of mildew.

Where Westin shines is in the service throughout the hotel. From the front desk to the bartenders to the towel attendants -- all are friendly and helpful.

Westin also is unique in that it has a dedicated equipment rental service called Tropical Beach House located right on the beach. The guys there are absolutely amazing tour guides and very conscientious about safety. The island natives have a kind of psychic sense of where to take you to see turtles or mantas. This alone is a reason to visit Westin!

The Guam Westin has, like all hotels, areas needing improvement. The tropics are harsh on buildings. But when you look at Westin in the context of all the hotels in Guam, Westin is a winner. Definitely deserves a top ranking for location, service, activities, and style.

Room Tip: Room away from the street and closer to beach is quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Sakura96929
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Sakura96929,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam to Renew your Mind, Body and Soul, and for taking the time to share your thoughts.

We are delighted to hear your compliments toward our Hotel, particularly for our service.   We will certainly pass on the positive feedback to our team. It is our desire to work towards excellence and to deliver personal and instinctive service. Your feedback will help our team to reflect and strive for improvement.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you in near future.