“Exclusive, quiet yet conveniently located”

The Westin Resort Guam
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
London, United Kingdom
“Exclusive, quiet yet conveniently located”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Despite the tiny size of the island, there are countless tourists coming into Guam from Japan, South Korea, China and Russia. So if you can't stand the crowds and are willing to pay a little extra, I would recommend the Westin. It has a semi-private beach and a little store for renting water sport equipment. The beach is beautiful and the view of the sunset from our room was magnificent. The lunch buffet in Taste is very generous with the portions and includes a wide selection of seafood and meats. The Italian restaurant, I forget it's name, was also very delicious and the service decent. Our room was large with two double beds. WiFi is available in the lobby but sadly requires payment if accessed from the bedroom. There are bottles of water in the room but it is not immediately clear which are free and which are not. I drank two bottles only to realize later there was a price tag of 5 USD! In my experience, anything left out in the open is free and items in the fridge gets added to the bill later but it does not seem to be the case here. We ordered room service on two occasions and were very satisfied with the quality and price. We booked via the Japanese travel agency JTB, which came with a number of benefits such as free use of the shuttle which is VERY convenient for traveling up and down the mountain, a free half day tour of the island as well as free wifi usage at certain locations. The Westin also has a JTB center attached which serves free drinks and snacks.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose one thats facing the beach, which is to the West-South-West direction.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tjtr80
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear tjtr80,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam to Renew your Mind, Body and Soul, and for taking the time to share your thoughts.

We are delighted to hear your compliments towards our Hotel, particularly that you enjoyed our beach, restaurant, in room dining and service. We will certainly pass on the positive feedback to our team. Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the use of Wi-Fi and the confusion with the bottled water in the room.

It is our desire to work towards excellence and to deliver personal and instinctive service. Your feedback will help our team to reflect and strive for improvement.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you in near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila
Reviewed 8 April 2014

As it appears, you can't do any better in Guam than the Westin Resort. The hotel is basic though. Rooms are clean and comfortable but that's just about it. The hotel's lobby isn't exciting and the hotel in general feels stuck in past. The staff were all pleasant but could all use a little more refinement to be considered five star service and hospitality. I would stay here again only because this is probably your best bet for luxury in Guam, but don't expect too much. It was an average experience.

I was here for business and didn't get to see much of the beach unfortunately so I cannot comment much on that.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank SXMX
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear SXMX,

Hafa adai, Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for choosing The Westin Resort, Guam for your recent Guam stay.

We appreciate your comment with constructive feedback. Nevertheless, we will continue to strive in our efforts to maintain and update our room and the facilities, and improve refined service to bring the Hotel to the level that our valued guests are accustomed to.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Resort, Guam.

Be well.
West Virginia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel has a lot of potential. It is in a great Tumon location. However, the facility is getting old. The room air conditioners struggle to maintain a dismal 78f/25C. Some rooms have updated air conditioners but most do not. The staff is well aware of this issue but correcting it is an upper management problem. I have had to change rooms on numerous occasions and have no choice but to take my business to the Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank jpcalo8
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear jpcalo8,

We thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

We are sincerely regretful that the air conditioner was not working properly during your stay. We have forwarded your valued comments and concerns to our Engineering team to address these issues. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us reflect and strive for continual improvement.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may experience a restful and pleasant stay.
Until next time, be well!!
Cooper Landing, Alaska
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Overall satisfactory...recommend a good local rate for those returning on vacation from abroad. Extended stay visitors should have a meal plan that is affordable and not at a out of pocket rate that is beyond reason. Consider a better military rate that is more than you offer those that are on orders who dont have to pay out of pocket. The military spends millions in hotels expenses on those traveling on orders annually. We consider everything when deciding where our military/goverment members lodge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank guihanman2
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guihanman,

Thank you for your recent stay with the Westin Resort Guam. We are delighted to know that your overall stay was satisfactory.

Our property offers various kinds of rate plans to accommodate guests’ interest and reason for stay such as Breakfast packages, SPG Hot Escape, Recharge packages, Weekends plans, Family plans, and of course a special rate plan for Government and Military.

We will take your comments into consideration as we continue to strive for guest satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Positives:
- Very large beds
- Clean, spacious rooms
- Good quality of products, soap, shampoo, towels, coffee, etc in the room
- Check-in and check-out were a breeze
- All staff we dealt with was very friendly and helpful
- Ample parking under the hotel
- Close walking distance to shopping malls and restaurants

Negatives:
- The major negative I can say is that lobby is a very large atrium that goes all the way up to the top floor, so it's a very open environment. You can see the top floor from the lobby. Each floor, therefore, isn't in an entirely enclosed hallway. The hallways have the guest rooms on one side, and it is open to the lobby below on the other side. Our room was on the 6th floor (the lowest floor of guestrooms) so lobby noise was apparent. We could hear groups of people entering the hotel and hanging around in the lobby, making some noise at night. It wasn't enough to keep us from sleeping, but it was noticeable. I don't know if the noise gets quieter the higher you go up in the hotel, but it is something to consider. Try getting a room on the opposite side of the lobby (away from the beach side) as it might be quieter
- The rooms close to the beach are the ones that have an ocean view. I would imagine that anything on the back half of the hotel would NOT get an ocean view. I think our room was a "partial" ocean view but it wasn't that great.

Other notes (neither negative or positive, just observations)
- Pool is big, and there are a few of them arranged in different shapes. Definitely not the largest of pools but they are sufficient
- Beach area is on the small side (but I think most hotels have the same amount of real estate that are directly on the beach). The good part is that this hotel does have direct beach access.

If I came to Guam again, I would consider staying here twice if there was a good enough reason. Otherwise I might try another hotel. There wasn't anything exceptional that stood out that made me say "I will definitely come here again," but there wasn't anything negative that makes me want to avoid it in the future.

I am giving this hotel an "average" review overall because I am comparing it to hotels that I have stayed in around the world. It was my first time to Guam and I have nothing to compare it to on this island.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter 6th floor is the lowest floor of guest rooms and was a little lo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank TheEveningPaper
Dear TheEvenin,

We sincerely thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island, and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

We are delighted to hear your inspiring compliments such as “clean, special room”, “all staff was friendly and helpful” and that you refer to us as “A very good option”.

Your constructive feedback on specific areas that the Hotel needs to enhance upon is what helps us become a better Hotel, and for that we thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Resort Guam.
Yigo, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in the Westin as a staycation. I got the ocean view king deluxe and it was pretty good. It was musty but Guam is very humid so that is expected of not only hotels but of any place, especially if you expect a carpeted room. Traps the moisture in so no matter what hotel you stay at the musty smell will be there. My AC was very quiet to the point that I had to turn something on to get to sleep. There was a very deep bathtub and a separate shower which was awesome! It has a dual shower head that was kind of awkward and the glass doors had hard water deposits on them. Guam has excruciatingly hard water so I can understand it but since I know how to tame it at home, I don't see why they couldn't.

One thing I think people should know is that the hotel is oval shaped so even though it was an ocean view, it's not directly facing the ocean so you basically get half ocean half town. Partial ocean view means that you get to see a tiny minuscule of it.

The staff was wonderful! They gave me everything I asked for, got the local paper everyday and let me check out a little later than normal without extra charge. They like to make sure that people who are not guests to the hotel are not using their pool for free so they check for wrist bands which is kind of annoying but the gentleman who was doing it wasn't rude and was extremely accommodating while asking to see it which I thought was great since most other places that I've been to just walk up to you and give you the evil eye and demand that you show it. Even though I was already checked out, they let me continue to use the pool till I was ready to go.

I called in advance and asked if their TVs had an HDMI port and USB hook up so I could take something to watch movies and was told that there wasn't so I didn't take anything to watch but once there, found out that there was both on the TV. So that's good to know.

The pool is decent. Not huge but I didn't have any issues with it (my daughter had a lovely time and there weren't too many people in it). I was allowed to bring my own drinks as long as they were in a plastic container. I had a bottle of champs with me to make my own mimosas so because it was wrapped in a bottle koozie, they had no problems. They provided towels and free floaters for guests. I also took my BOSE mini speaker for music since they don't have any music.

The beach is beautiful, crystal clear and there were not too many ppl bothering me. You can't use their little bungalows but they do have some lounge chairs if you don't want to lay on a towel however those were all taken so I used my towel.

GUAMS main tourists are Japanese so any hotel you go to will cater to them. I had zero problems working with staff that spoke English since Guam is English speaking. It's very close to downtown which is nice and has awesome glass elevators so you can see what's going on.

The only place I ate was getting a mocha and finger sandwich at the little barista near the front desk. It was really good. A little expensive but I liked it a lot.

Room Tip: Just make sure to get the ocean view if you want to see any ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Bri T

Hafa adai!
Thank you for choosing The Westin Resort Guam as your destination to Renew your
Mind, Body & Soul; and, for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay.

We are delighted to find that your stay with us met your expectations. Thank you for your compliments for our service, particularly towards our staff. It is our pleasure to assist our valued guests and to ensure they have the best experience during their stay.

We regret that you were not properly informed by our associate regarding our TV connections. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. TV in our property is pre-set for HDMI, VGI, USB and AV. However, we do not provide the cables for these connections. Our Service Express associates will be more than happy to assist should you visit us again.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We will continue to strive to upkeep our service and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Booked the Westin for a dive focused trip. Looking at other hotels in the area, I feel the Westin was one of the better choices given the convenient location and overall cleanliness of the hotel. Given the humidity and close proximity to the beach, there are certain areas that need improvement but I believe the Westin has done a decent job of upkeep for this location. Would definitely come back to this hotel and would recommend others to do so, too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Kerwin G,

Hafa adai,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Resort Guam as your destination to Renew your
Mind, Body & Soul; and for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay.

We are very much honored that you regard us as a “Very Good Hotel for Guam” and that you “would definitely come back”.

Thank you very much for giving us your gift of feedback. We will continue to strive to upkeep our service and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.