“Great Holiday at Guam Reef!”

Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Guam Reef October 27th for five nights. We had a smooth checkin and the room while basic with 2 twin beds got the job done. The hotel is on the beach and the water is clear and beautiful. Use of the beach for two people was $30 for a parasol and two chairs for the day. Use of the beach equipment such as kayaks was an extra $10. However, if you don't need such things you can sit on the beach for free, of course. We had one lunch at the Gecko beach bar which was excellent. However, in the evening this bar really cranks out the volume until after midnight. We could hear it easily from our fifth room floor. The front desk staff were friendly as were the people of Guam in general from the shuttle bus drivers right down to the shop staff in the retail stores. The shopping was very convenient although the traffic can be heavy at times which makes the shuttle buses to the shopping centers a little late at times.
The food portions in the restaurants were very big so my wife and I would share dishes a lot. The prices were reasonable considering that Guam is a resort. Overall, we were pleased with the Guam Reef Hotel and would stay there again as well as recommend it to others. It was good value for the money.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank juneau_san

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My family really loves Guam Reef, its just across major shopping malls as well as restaurants. The room smells a bit of sea water especially when flushing the toilet. But overall, we love the lunch buffet, friendly reception, room view of the beach and the infinity pool.

Room Tip: We stayed at 14th floor which has a good view of the beach
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank chelax
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is a fairly old hotel in an excellent location near restaurants, transportation and shopping malls. I was surprised that EVERYONE staying at the hotel appeared to be Japanese. They seem to have purchased hotel/beach packages. My rooms was spacious with a (partial) ocean view and a really good shower. Unfortunately the carpeting smelled old and moldy. I hated paying $12/day for internet (ethernet only, no wi-fi in rooms) although the wi-fi in the lobby is free. I was also disappointed that I had to walk down 60 steps to get to the very narrow, not-so-nice beach. There's also a breakfast buffet, Japanese restaurant, bar and pricey gift shop. The shuttle services run right in front of the hotel which is nice. Reception didn't offer me any brochures, maps or information about the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank juliethai
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Since there were 4 of us staying in the hotel, we chose Guam Reef since they offer 2 big beds (double beds) at much reasonable price. The hotel is located in the 'Hotel Row' area near restaurants and shopping malls. Mc Donald's is just across the hotel. ABC store, where you can buy snacks and drinks is just beside the hotel. The Infinity room were we stayed have a nice view of the sea (partly). The terrace complete with table and chairs are relaxing after whole day of swimming and shopping. The room comes with free beverages in the mini fridge, also, they have water dispenser (hot and cold) for their guests consumption.
The entrance is not that grand but it's well lit with view of the pool and ocean. I feel relaxed upon entering the hotel. You stay here if you would like to use its wifi since its not available in the room.
I find their staffs friendly though lacking for number of guests they have. I think they don't have concierge since when we arrive no one bother to carry our luggages to our room, good thing we brought little stuffs since we will be staying for only couple of days and will be doing some shopping in Guam. On our last day, the reception was the one who helped us to store our luggages in their storage room.
Their infinity pool is nice. It's not big compared to other hotels however, inviting and have a nice view of the sea. They have direct access too at the beach (about 50-60 steps using the stairs). By the way, they have jacuzzi as well. They don't have a gym though.
Everything seems okay except that the beds are so hard like mattresses were not provided. Though, it did not bother me since I like hard beds but for my kids, they complained of the hardness. There is also the smell of dampness in the room however, when we opened the window, the smell did not bother us at all.

Room Tip: Choose the infinity room for 4 travelers since they have bigger beds and have a view of the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank coffee072
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

I rented a room here as well as being an infinity member also played apart for it. I booked a room here for 4 nights, upon checking in, I asked of any king beds were available, and at that time they were pretty booked, so unfortunately, no King Bed. I was actually reccommended to try the Infinity tower. There weren't any king beds, but the doubles they had in the standard infinity tower were like queen size beds... The infinity tower is actually better than the older tower. Aside from that, the front desk rep went out of his way and assisted me thru my entire stay with reccommendations. Ate at ALIZE buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner.... Superb service and the food was excellent. So so so many choices...
I would like to put a special recognition to Nate Garcia of Front desk for his outstanding service and performance. Not only was he working, but also went out of his way to assist me with what I needed. Please make sure he gets good recognition.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank jt671
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I stayed here for about 3 days last September 2012.

PROs
1. Location - nearby places are great. there's a number of shops and restaurant around this place.
2. Spacious Room
3. The Beach
4. Stage Performances in the pool side
5. The Room's Balcony View - this I LOVE. My favorite part of the hotel. It's overlooking Tumon and the coastline. Beautiful.

CONs.
1. BREAKFAST FOOD is awful! There's no choices and there's always no food left like I feel like eating left overs most of the time :(
2. TV - hello? they should rili UPGRADE their facilities any time soon...it's 2013.
3. The Hotel is really really OLD with minimal maintenance

OVERALL - It's a very old hotel. So don't expect anything glistening or amazing. It's good for SLEEPING only. Price? I've no idea. My company paid for the trip :) They SHOULD have booked me to other hotels nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank cha_pong
Reviewed 18 August 2012

From the parking lot to the hotel rooms, the place is just worn down. They told me they were a 5 star hotel, but I would far from categorize the Guam Reef Hotel as 5 star. Maybe a 1 star in the Tumon district. They were not very helpful either (I saw Chito).

Room Tip: I can only recommend choosing another hotel close by. The Westin next door was very nice and accommo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank LinandJurel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Hyatt Regency Guam
Hotel Nikko Guam
Hotel Nikko Guam
#4 of 21 in Tumon
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort

Been to Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort? Share your experiences!