“Rated "very good" because so affordable”

Royal Orchid Guam Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Portland, OR
“Rated "very good" because so affordable”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The Royal Orchid is across the street from the major hotels which sit right on the beach in Tumon Bay. We had a room with a king size bed which ran $65 /nt which. Very reasonable we thought. The four nights previous, my wife and I stayed in the Hilton because I was here on business and did not have to pay the $179 /nt. We decided to stay a few extra days and spent one night here at the Royal Orchid. The hotel is not nearly as nice as the Hilton, but it's hard to argue with the price. The room was still clean, but didn't have the extras you get with a four star hotel (ocean views, nicer linens, bigger TV, etc.) For $120 less /nt than the Hilton we expected a big drop off, but were surprised there wasn't a $120 difference. The hotel tries to be a "budget four star option" and just pulls it off.
When we travel for pleasure we don't plan on hanging out in the hotel much, so if the place is clean, affordable, and the bed is nice enough to get a good night's sleep; we're happy. If you like things like room service, up-to-date decor, and are willing to pay more, you might want to stay somewhere else, otherwise this place works just fine.
(***You might also want to read our review of the Days Inn for another affordable place to stay in the area***.)

Room Tip: Rooms go fast in the summer
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tumon, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Where do I start? The first room my family and I stayed in had a gross pest problem. The next room they moved us into was disgusting! Mildew in the bathroom, moldings all along the walls looked like they were water-damaged and ignored, paint chipped from parts of the ceiling to all along different parts of the wall, stains on the carpet, laundry room not in working order, internet connection (I paid the $15/day) in the room kept disconnecting itself and/or lagging, ironing board looked like it had molded and they tried to save a penny by salvaging it, and although there are these little signs in the bathroom that say "floors are slippery when wet," it doesn't help that the shower stalls are not properly sealed all around their door, so of course water will leak onto the floor. My nearly-2-year-old daughter kept slipping on any drip of water on the floor. This place is not safe for kids or anyone with a medical condition. DO NOT expect much, if anything out of this place. If I ever come back to Guam, I'm booking at another hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sweetdreams607

Travellers are raving about these Tumon hotels

Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Great view! breakfast not on bill so you can keep all your per diem. Large room and good working internet. easy access to Tumon Bay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 February 2011

From the moment i walked to my hotel room door i was disappointed. Right above my room door was mold infested ceiling cutout... Then I walked into the room, not to bad but there's no wash cloths. Doesn't that come standard? When i asked the front desk of course they brought one up... But they didn't put one in the room everyday after servicing.

Furthermore as the days passed i wondered if they even clean the rooms or if the just make the bed and make a triangle fold on the toilet paper. Every morning I woke up and was greeted by a huge roach scurrying across the floor and not to mention the two dead ones lying on their backs one in the bathroom and one near the window. The dead ones were never picked up after the rooms were serviced 3days in a row. If i'm paying to stay in the hotel i'm not picking up roaches.

The hotel rooms were hot, sticky, and smelled of mildew. The parking garage is awful too. Look for a hotel much better than this one. I recommend the Hyatt, Hilton, Westin or Outrigger. They worth the $50 more per night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank namil
tumon
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Stayed for an overnight since we were having our Holiday party across the street. Can I say that this place was disgusting? Musky smell in the whole hotel starting with the elevators. When we went into the room we were greeted with decor straight out of the 1970's. Gold, cheap bed covers and black and silver with gold trim head boards.
There were water stains all over the glass shower doors and the hinges on the door were getting ready to fall off! The wood was soaked with water and getting ready to break off. Also, the curtains were dusty, the carpet was stained and there was water/condensation on the INSIDE of our window.
It looks like a cheap hotel trying to be expensive but falling far short!
don't waste your money here!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jackjack1206
Mexico
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I just needed a place to spend the night since I was only connecting flights the next day so no use to stay at a resort...rates were good...staff were nice...however, as soon as I entered the room I had flashbacks of me as a little kid on a family vacation in Hawaii...it was clean but the decor and layout (there's a sliding panel that divides the room and the bathtub area) really needs an update...wouldn't say it had ocean views but you could see blue out the window...I noticed a lot of guests were military family visiting relatives who were based in the island...would stay here again only if I were in transit...if on vacation, definitely go somewhere else..

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Buquing
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 June 2010

This was the second Guam hotel we stayed at during our one month trip to Micronesia. We only needed a hotel to stay in for an overnighter in Guam between flights and this met our requirements. But I am glad I didn't choose it for the longer stays we had in Guam where having a bit of poolside relaxation was on the agenda. The reception area itself was pretty unimpressive, the staff at reception were very dis-interested but they weren't unfriendly and they did their job. Our room was great, quiet and comfortable, the bathroom was huge and my daughter took great delight in the sliding window that opened on to the bedroom from the bath. We didn't eat at the hotel or try breakfast there as our experience with Guam food was abysmal. There was a mini mart at the bottom of the hotel and we bought some fresh fruit and breakfast things from there instead. There was a very annoying man at the entrance to the hotel who appears to be concierge but he is actually a taxi driver and he hassles everyone standing at the front of the hotel who is waiting for a shuttle trolley giving mis-information on the price of bus tickets and where the buses actually go. On the few occasions I saw other guests of the hotel, they appeared to be intoxicated and intent on wrecking anything they saw, or they were prostitutes. We had a great view from our window down on to the main street and entrance to the hotel and the clientele entering and exiting appeared to be of dubious nature. The whole complex was interesting from a social voyeur's perspective but it certainly didn't ooze charm and luxury. The rates were cheap and good for the standard of the room but I wouldn't stay there for anything other than a good nights rest. The pool was revolting, boxed in by hotel rooms that overlook it, and it was tiny and a little unclean. But you wouldn't stay there for the pool, you would go to a beachside hotel or the beach and use their facilities. The driver who picked us up from the airport was intent on telling us how he had punched a 'shim' unconscious while lifeguarding (?), I've never had a longer 10 minute drive to the airport.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Guam Plaza Hotel
Bayview Hotel Guam
#12 of 20 in Tumon
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Oceanview Hotel & Residences

Been to Royal Orchid Guam Hotel? Share your experiences!