“I hope this hotel changes for the better”

Royal Orchid Guam Hotel
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I also stayed on the "Executive Floor". My company chose this hotel. What this hotel reminds me of is the one in California that I stayed at on a business trip. It is purely an investment scheme.

It is all lipstick and rouge. The problems we had expressed to the management never was rectified although they said it did. Rooms are what you would have expected at a mediocre hotel in Florida or Hawaii. However for cheaper price, I stayed at a cleaner, less moldy comfortable room in Hawaii. The staff "tries" but if not given something to be proud of there is a point that the service seems really terrible and they look like liars by protecting the establishment. Hopefully management will look at this and NOT LIE to their customers saying they fixed the numerous problems (one was no hot water, although a sign says to keep the shower on for minutes and minutes until it gets hot...it never does). pay more and stay elsewhere.

5  Thank annabelleBlow

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed on the 7th floor- the "Executive floor".

Unfortunately, it is the only floor that they remodeled, something unpractical in Guam's tropical climate. The mold, insects, and humidity are on the increase, creeping in from all sides.

My room smelled musty and was permeated with a strong chemical smell- a cross between furniture polish and men's room. Mold was spotted in the showers and the carpet was moist near the window.

The air conditioner could not keep up during the day- by 2pm both days the warmth and humidity were unbearable. The nice maintenance man said that the unit was working as hard as it could, and that moving across the hall would not improve things as those rooms face west.

I saw several cockroaches, and my colleague staying down the hall had to change rooms because his room was infested with roaches.

My room faced the pool, which is in a bizarre enclosed courtyard. An afternoon nap was out of the question due to screaming kids and the resulting echos off of the courtyard walls.

The location is poor- not on the beach! Instead you are on one of the busiest intersections in Tumon- the noise carries on into the night.

There is no decent place for breakfast in or near the hotel.

Hotel gym had dated, marginal equipment.

Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
5  Thank Seattleflyer50
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Traveling all night I was expected to pay an additional $35 for early check in. Although the room was moldy hot and sticky, I tried to get some sleep, thinking the AC had just been turned on and might take some time to cool the room down. After and hour I called for a engineer to fix the AC. I waited for 1/2 and then thought a cool bath would help, but there was no running water in the bath, shower or sink. I asked for another room. The room they showed me stank like mold. The front desk told me the engineer was in my room fixing the problems. I went up to talk to them (I am an engineer). I got to the room and the front desk called and stayed they were down there and on the way up that I just missed them. I waited another 1/2 for them to show and called the front desk for a refund, then left. I lost $90 from Expedia for the room cancellation.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Mikii R
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Fortunately my company puts us up in the executive rooms on the seventh floor. I understand these rooms have been remodeled and I think that they are quite nice. The rooms have a nice decor and no longer smell moldy. However I cannot vouch for the other rooms in the hotel at this time. The hotel is one block from the beach and there is a public access straight across the street. The staff is very nice and there are some very nice places to eat nearby. I am unaware of the cost to stay at the hotel since my company pays the bill directly, so I can enlighten you on the value. Small pool and since the hotel surrounds it there certain times of day that you do not get any sun. Workout area is next to the pool it is average but has a lot of room for expansion should the hotel decide to add some equipment.

1  Thank Ty B
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Arrived early morning, no where to eat, get water or anything, no water in room. Directed to 24 hr supermarket up the road (not bad supermarket but expensive). Slept in the am until constant knocking at the door woke us - room service to tidy the room! Room tired. Microwave in room - not sure why but maybe a hint that the restaurants in the hotel lobby area were shockingly awful - all plastic food full of calories and E numbers. Desk staff nice enough but young and inexperienced, porters also nice. Get the feelings it owned by someone who doesn't give a damn and just sucks the money out without putting anything back in. Lampshades had peeled off their top skin. Horrible.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank butrusgali
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I was in Guam for a work trip-8 weeks and I stayed at the Royal Orchid. I stayed on a floor where there's no security cameras. My first week there I was robbed while I was sleeping in my room. I locked the door every night before I go to sleep and somehow someone managed to get into my room and took my valuables from me. I eventually got most of my valuables back but I was not reimbursed the money that was stolen from me. The hotel manager assured me that I would receive the money back but I was never repayed. If you can avoid it, please do not stay at this hotel. If you do decide to stay at this hotel, please safeguard your valuables.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank QEvans_12
Reviewed 21 September 2012

As this was our first PCS we chose this hotel because of cheaper $ compared to others. Luckily we had the USO which had AC while our hotel room was bordering 79 degrees with 100% humidity. My towels had mold in the room overnight because of the humidity. Guam is hot year round, but that doesn't mean an establishment can't keep the rooms cool. The beds I don't remember if they were soft or not. I do remember having MORE than enough pillows. Like an obnoxious amount. No free wi-fi. You need to go down to USO for internet.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank L C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Holiday Resort & Spa Guam
#6 of 21 in Tumon
Wyndham Garden Guam
Wyndham Garden Guam
#2 of 10 in Tamuning

Been to Royal Orchid Guam Hotel? Share your experiences!