“I loved my stay but....”

Royal Orchid Guam Hotel
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Reading the reviews below made me scared of booking with this hotel but went on ahead. But honestly, from my experience, It was not bad at all. arranged for an airport pick up at 5:30 am went out of the immigration and somebody was there. arrived at the hotel, the FILIPINO staff were helpful and approachable. the floor didn't smell MOLDY at all! stayed at the 6th floor (standard superior) had a partial beach view but i have no complaints because I loved my room, very spacious with free bottled water to complete toiletries. one of the reviews I've read that were true was the WIFI connection was so poor. constantly get disconnected, got tired of reconnecting over and over again so I gave up and wasnt able to use the internet for the duration of my stay there. I even can't connect on the lobby. Got really scared when someone next door banged on their wall. walls must be thin because you can hear people talk. Met a few weird staff which I hope not to see again next time I visit the hotel.
I also love the location and shuttle/trolley buses stop is right infront of the hotel.
I would definitely come back and recommend this hotel if they improve their wifi access.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Apsunday

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed there for three nights. I've never had bad experience before.
First day, we complained smell of the room which is moldy like mushroom smell. A hotel staff came to put a air sanitizer, but it worked only 10 minute.
Second day, it had bad storm in Guam. Our sea view room got wet on the carpet. Water was leaking from a window frame. We complained 3 times, finally we changed the room.
Third night, an air conditioner didn't work, two main elevator didn't work, a phone kept ringing for nothing and a siren was suddenly on at 3 am.
We won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank PukekoJapan
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed in 7th floor seaview room, it was raining, my room was terribly flooded with water flowing in from balcony. The whole carpet came out, like a water bed! Staff didn't know what to do (or didn't do anything). Finally got to change room after 2 strong complaints!

Want to see how bad was the flooding?

Water leakage inside bathroom, complaints, reception staff said they will inform engineering department to fix it, but nothing was done after 2 nights! So, the whole bathroom floor was wet all the time. Bathtub was half filled with water in the morning.

I will never stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank VigiTam
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I live on Saipan (130 miles north of Guam) and frequently travel to Guam for work. This trip was on short notice during peak season. Because my preferred hotels were booked, I decided to try the Royal Orchid. I will NOT stay here again.

When traveling for work, internet access is crucial. Over the telephone, the reservation agent assured me that all the rooms had wireless access. What she should have said is that each floor shares a wireless network and IF other people on your floor are not online, you MIGHT be able to get enough signal to check your email at a maddeningly turtle-like pace. I talked with the front desk staff. Although everyone was very polite, they could not offer me an ethernet cable (no connection in the rooms) and their only suggestion was to work in the lobby where the signal is stronger.

Moreover, the rooms were dilapidated (stained carpet, cracked paint, musty smell) and lacked many items expected in a hotel room -- i.e., hand towels, wash cloths, tissues. Plus, I moved my suitcase out of the closet due to ants.

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I also stayed on the "Executive Floor". My company chose this hotel. What this hotel reminds me of is the one in California that I stayed at on a business trip. It is purely an investment scheme.

It is all lipstick and rouge. The problems we had expressed to the management never was rectified although they said it did. Rooms are what you would have expected at a mediocre hotel in Florida or Hawaii. However for cheaper price, I stayed at a cleaner, less moldy comfortable room in Hawaii. The staff "tries" but if not given something to be proud of there is a point that the service seems really terrible and they look like liars by protecting the establishment. Hopefully management will look at this and NOT LIE to their customers saying they fixed the numerous problems (one was no hot water, although a sign says to keep the shower on for minutes and minutes until it gets hot...it never does). pay more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank annabelleBlow
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed on the 7th floor- the "Executive floor".

Unfortunately, it is the only floor that they remodeled, something unpractical in Guam's tropical climate. The mold, insects, and humidity are on the increase, creeping in from all sides.

My room smelled musty and was permeated with a strong chemical smell- a cross between furniture polish and men's room. Mold was spotted in the showers and the carpet was moist near the window.

The air conditioner could not keep up during the day- by 2pm both days the warmth and humidity were unbearable. The nice maintenance man said that the unit was working as hard as it could, and that moving across the hall would not improve things as those rooms face west.

I saw several cockroaches, and my colleague staying down the hall had to change rooms because his room was infested with roaches.

My room faced the pool, which is in a bizarre enclosed courtyard. An afternoon nap was out of the question due to screaming kids and the resulting echos off of the courtyard walls.

The location is poor- not on the beach! Instead you are on one of the busiest intersections in Tumon- the noise carries on into the night.

There is no decent place for breakfast in or near the hotel.

Hotel gym had dated, marginal equipment.

Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Seattleflyer50
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Traveling all night I was expected to pay an additional $35 for early check in. Although the room was moldy hot and sticky, I tried to get some sleep, thinking the AC had just been turned on and might take some time to cool the room down. After and hour I called for a engineer to fix the AC. I waited for 1/2 and then thought a cool bath would help, but there was no running water in the bath, shower or sink. I asked for another room. The room they showed me stank like mold. The front desk told me the engineer was in my room fixing the problems. I went up to talk to them (I am an engineer). I got to the room and the front desk called and stayed they were down there and on the way up that I just missed them. I waited another 1/2 for them to show and called the front desk for a refund, then left. I lost $90 from Expedia for the room cancellation.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Mikii R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Holiday Resort & Spa Guam
#6 of 21 in Tumon
Wyndham Garden Guam
Wyndham Garden Guam
#2 of 10 in Tamuning

Been to Royal Orchid Guam Hotel? Share your experiences!