“Why pay more? I am Loving it!”

Tumon Bay Capital Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I am writing from my room on the sixth floor of the Tumon Bay Capital Hotel having stayed six nights. I am leaving tomorrow. I loved it. I really loved it.

The Capital Hotel is an old hotel that is past its prime. It is a bit dilapidated and has a DIY feel. I know that there are a lot of tools in what used to a restaurant bar, and I guess that the manager (rather than a professional) uses them.

There is no restaurant (only some cans of soda and beer in a fridge behind the reception counter).

But the prices, room size, view, and location, more than make up for it.

The view is nice. One can see the sea and in March the sun go down- between the Outrigger and the hotel next door under renovation - and the Tumon lights at night. The balcony is great.
There is a little bit of a community atmosphere to the hotel since the hotel is crescent shaped so going on the balcony allows one to say hi to other occupants (not that I have).

The rooms are big. The air conditioning works. The TV is flat screen about 30 inch and fine. There is a smallish clean looking pool on the ground floor with loungers. I saw some Japanese tourists use it. There is a Water-Worldy, slide thing called Tarza (50USD for adults) right next door. Not cheap but great if you come with children of that age.

But why bother with the water world or pool? The Capital Hotel is only 300 metres from the beach. My informant, a Chomorran employee of the University of Guam, told me that it is okay to go through the hotels on the sea front to the beach. I walked through the Plaza-mall (at the base of the slope down from the hotel) through the Outrigger to the beach every day dressing my wet suit and a shirt. ON the last day, today, I just wore my wet suit and reef shoes. No one complained. I hope I was not trespassing. There is a tap on the beach for washing off your feet before going back through the outrigger lobby. If I did not know this/ or do this, then the Capital would be inconvenient since it is a fair walk to the nearest more obviously municipal beach access at the centre of the bay.

Anyone who complains about the slope down to Tumon (about 100m) of fairly steep slope is unfit. If you have a BMI less than 30 it should be no problem.

Tumon Bay has a very strong current which runs parallel to the beach towards the North (i.e. towards the Capital Hotel). This means that if you walk down the main street in Tumon you can cross into the beach via a municipal path (there are some blue railings a little further south of "Osaka Convenience Store" for instance) and the swim, aided by the current, at Michael Phelps speed, back to the Outrigger, and then up to this hotel It is about 1500 metres but the current makes it half that length, depending on the swell.The higher the swell the stronger the, almost always Northward current.

The rooms, like mine, near the wifi transmitters at least have good FREE wifi. I think that there are 9 rooms and a central cleaning room, per crescent shaped floor and the wifi transmitters are (on my 6th floor) outside the 603 and my 606. The guy in 609 was using his computer in the corridor so perhaps likewise 601 may not have good wifi reception. The other rooms X02-X08 should be okay.

The safes are behind reception but I left my valuables in my room. According to a Tumon police officer, there is very little/no theft from locked rooms. Sometimes people leave their rooms open for a while, or the bar thing (that allows you to open your door just a fraction) gets in the way and stops the door from closing and then there has been theft. That said I did not leave my money in a pile on the desk.

Some people have not liked the mattresses. I think that if you weigh more than 100 kg / 200 pounds then you may find the beds too wobbly bouncy.but they were fine for me.

The negative
The pressure in the showers sometimes falls to from a trickle to even zero when many people are using them. If you can wait 10 to 20 minutes I don't think this is much of a problem. I am on a business trip and so it was a bit of a nuisance after going for a swim, and then finding I could not wash the soap off my face just before going to a meeting but fortunately I had a litre of water! No worries. I heard one person complain that their shower did not work. I guess that in an old hotel like this there are bound to be some plumbing issues.

Most of the staff are really nice and very helpful, but there is one young Chomorran or Micronesian (judging from his face) guy who is really terse. He does not say "Hafa Dai" (the standard Guam greeting) or even respond to my good afternoons. He is only one of the staff to refuse to take my key but, with his headphones on, seated, he gesticulated to the key return box. I guess he is not paid much. I wish he could be paid enough, or trained enough to realise that he is working in the hospitality industry and we the guests are on holiday, so a greeting, and if not a smile then at least not being ignored would really help us enjoy his great hotel. I don't want him to get fired, but I hope his boss (he may be the son of the boss? But the boss looks Chinese) asks him to be a little nicer to the guests. We are okay people!

There are three rental bikes but the only one of the three big enough for me (5 foot ten/175cm) is broken. The front gear does not change (I could cope with that) and the back tire rubs on the frame (I could not cope with that). I may bring a smaller slick tire and hire it for a week, or go down to Convenience store osaka to rent a bike and likewise want to change the tire from tractor wheel to smaller slick.The wheels on all Tumon rental bikes are the mountain bike 26 inch variety with tractor tires. I am going to purchase some mountain bike slick tires before I next come!

There is a laundry room (where the hotel washes its towels etc) which one can use for 7USD per load including drying! Wow. I will come back from Guam with clean clothes.

There are no kettles in the rooms but one can hire one for 4 USD for the duration of your stay.

There are good large empty fridges in the rooms (no mini-bar carp). Just go down to one of the many ABC/K mart stores and stock up. ABC offers the best exchange rates (yen to USD) in town.

There is a scuba diving outfit using a room on the ground floor of the hotel with cheap scuba diving tours.

Due to the slope up to the hotel, and the mattresses, I would recommend the Capital to anyone who is not overweight. Even if you are, and don't mind mattresses that are a little bouncy (they don't seem to have the separate springs in individual pockets) then if you hire a car you can park right in front of the hotel and drive down to one of the municipal beaches.

But beware, the currents - along the beach - seem to be strongest at these. About 8 people die of drowning in Tumon bay a year apparently. Don't go out to the reef. If you get caught in the current do not fight it but swim diagonally into the beach and expect to walk a long long way back to where you entered the water. The current is beach-parallel so the problem is panic. The only place that the current or "rip" takes you out to sea is in front of the Westin or Reef hotel where there is an orange buoy marking the start of this sea-ward rip. I swam past it and did not notice but since the water is so shallow (stay well below breast height) it is not a problem. The problem is panic. Go with the current.

There is a free microwave oven on a little table in the lobby. Yes. In the lobby. That sums up the feel, the generosity, the DIY-non-glitzy-friendliness of the Capital Hotel. I am going to go down and heat up my doggie bag of Chinese food and eat it on my balcony. I love the Capital Hotel!

Room Tip: X06 (where x is the floor) and X03 for wifi. The higher the floor the better for view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank timtak

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Stopped in Guam between Asia and Hawaii and didn't want to spend a fortune on hotel. The Tumon Bay Capital Hotel is ok for short stays. I stayed for three nights and rented a car (cheaper than roundtrip taxi to/from airport). There is a decent sized fridge in the room so I was able to do a little grocery shopping with the cat and store in the room. The whole place is old and dated and in need to serious upgrades. However, it is clean, shower was hot, air conditioner worked, and wireless was good.

For solo short stays, it was a decent budget option.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We rented a day room (check in @ 8AM, check out @ 4PM) to have a place to rest in between flight connections. It's the only hotel we found that would allow day room rental in the Tumon Bay area. The rate was reasonable (around 75 USD). Being in the Tumon Bay area, the hotel is very conveniently located, although not on the beach, but just a short 10 min walk uphill from the beach & shopping area. You get to share the beach (which is gorgeous with good snorkeling) with guests from hotels that are much more expensive. Location is definitely a big plus.
The hotel has nice outside and lobby, with an attached dive shop. The room we rented, however, left much to be desired. It was average size, but there was water leaking from the ceiling. The beds were firm and not as comfortable. The linens and towels were thin and worn out, though clean. The A/C worked well, but our room reeked of cigarette smell (so make sure you ask for a non-smoking room at time of reservation). The bathroom was dirty, with hair in the shower. There was no hair dryer, but there were soap and bottles of shampoo from the nearby Outrigger Hotel. Overall the room and bathroom looked very worn out, with broken lock to the bathroom and cabinet doors.

Also note:
1) No safe in the room
2) Small fridge did not work
3) Only given 1 key (no key card)
4) No restaurant on premise, but there are several within walking distance
5) Bring your own beach towel. This is not a resort.
6) No drinking water in the room, so buy your own at the ABC store down the street
7) there is a balcony, so if you want to sit out, request the room facing the ocean

I would rate this hotel a 2, but give it a 3 due to great location

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room facing the ocean. And definitely ask for a non-smoking room if you are not a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank D0n_V
Reviewed 1 March 2014

OK, I travel to Guam frequently. Being a business traveler, I am expected to stay within a specified budget for lodging. Sometimes, this makes it difficult to find a decent hotel. When I go to Guam, I usually stay at the Sheraton. It is within budget, VERY NICE and (most importantly) nowhere near the touristy areas. Some would say the Sheraton has a bad location, but I LOVE being miles away from the crowds of tourists...
From time to time the Sheraton is fully booked, so I have stayed at several other hotels on Guam. One to avoid is the Marriott (you do NOT want to stay there...not the Marriott on Guam, anyway).
My latest trip, all the normal good hotels (within budget) were fully booked. Since I was only staying a couple of nights, I didn't think the hotel would be THAT important. So I was just mainly looking for something with free WiFi, to be honest.
First problem...this place is IMPOSSIBLE to find at night. I had a map showing where it should be in relation to the Guam Plaza, DFS Galleria, HardRock Cafe, and other landmarks. Based on that map, I actually drove PAST the Tumon Bay Capital Hotel, several times. So knowing roughly where the hotel is will NOT help you find it. The problem is that it's not lit up at all. There is no lighted sign showing "Tumon Bay" or similar. The sign on the hotel itself is very dark in color, also. You are not going to read it unless your rental car's headlights are pointed right AT the hotel. Consequently, if you are even 20 feet or more from the entrance to the driveway of this hotel, you can not see the hotel!!!
Second problem...this is one of those annoying hotels where you have to put your key into a holder on the wall before the electricity turns on. I can understand trying to save electricity. But in Guam, the average temperature (even late at night) is very hot, and Guam is ALWAYS very humid. So it's more than just a minor inconvenience to check in late at night and THEN have to wait a couple of hours for the room to cool down before you can try to get some sleep.
The Interior is very dated (could desperately use a remodel) but the rooms are clean, the bed is comfortable (if you aren't drenched in sweat, that is) and the A/C does work well (after the electricity is turned on that is)
I'd be tempted to rate this hotel very low (like 1 star) except for a few things.
First, the price is VERY low...especially for the area. Most average hotels are going to be 2-3 times the cost, and even higher for the better hotels. Second, the location is very good, once you actually FIND it. No, I don't like the touristy areas. But I know most people do. If you want to be near all the tourist traps, this is your place. HaHa...
Third, their WiFi is free, and it really works great! That was a pleasant surprise. Reliable, fast Internet is hard to find...especially on Guam. That this little generic cheap hotel would have fast, reliable WiFi for free? Amazing.
I'd probably stay here again on a business trip...especially a short trip. But only if the Sheraton is full, haha...
It's a bad hotel, but the price (CHEAP!), location and (WORKING!!!) Free WiFi are all worth a single star each, I believe. So I give it 3 stars.

Room Tip: The way the rooms are arranged, I don't think there is a bad room...or that any room would be wo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David C
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Tumon Bay Capital Hotel is located just a couple of minutes away by foot, from the Duty Free Shop and the Plaza. Nothing can beat the location. EXCEPT that it was filthy, cockroach-infested, and employs very rude and lukewarm (at best) staff. We killed a total of maybe five big, recognizable cockroaches and three tiny ones. I thought I killed a millipede, but it ended up walking away until my husband actually killed it. It was on the bathroom floor. Freaked the hell out of me. (Sorry to animal pro-lifers.)

There was hair on the blanket and a big stain on the duvet. It really grossed me out.

About the rude staff. They never greet you a good morning or hello. One time, we got there and there was no one at the desk. We waited for just a few seconds, and this guy appeared when he heard someone whistling (which wasn't us) and he said to me and my husband "You whistle when you call people?" And it wasn't even us. How rude was he? I will NEVER EVER stay in this hotel again. The staff needs to be re-trained. Remodel the whole hotel, and PLEASE call an exterminator!!!! We stayed in 503 and 504 for 6 nights. From Feb. 17 to 23.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I saw a cockroach in a hotel room for the first time in my life here, and I have stayed in a lot of hotels. The bathrooms were old and worn. The closet door was almost falling off. The mattress was uneven and uncomfortable. There is a waterfall in the lobby that is dry and old. My strong impression is that the owner is just milking it for profits and not spending any money on repairs or upkeep. The location is okay so I suppose the people will keep staying there. If you stay there, you should realize you are paying for the location and not much else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We reached Capital Hotel in unpleasant mood.

I did request for one way airport pick up via email with one of the hotel staff. Once we exit the baggage claim, we ask for help from the friendly staff at airport information counter to call Capital for the pick-up arrangement. End up we had to take airport taxi, as hotel staff told us no vehicle available during that time. This is an unacceptable excuse, as we had confirmed our flight time few days before we left our home country. No single sorry and apology while we check in after this incident.

I have to say Capital Hotel is a very good value of hotel at Tumon Bay. Walking distance to DFS Galleria and main road, Pale San Vitores Road; you can make use of the free DFS shuttle bus to get around. All the rooms are facing sea view, and come with balcony; you can have unblocked sunset and night view from your room. Big and spacious room with 2 big beds, old style furniture with old television, empty fridge, and aged bathroom.

Tumon sure comes with other choice of hotel, but the price range is far higher than Capital Hotel. If budget is an issue, this is your choice.

Room Tip: Higher floor room comes with better view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LQuen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Wyndham Garden Guam
#2 of 11 in Tamuning
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Holiday Resort & Spa Guam
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa

Been to Tumon Bay Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!