“Cheap accomodation”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Cheap accomodation”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Me and two friends stayed here for three nights.we were looking cheap accomodation...Its not a luxury place at all..kinf of old building and equiment. wifi only works in lobby. Ac works good at least.
Location was ok. Theres a lit hill.
Ill def look another place next time i visit Guam.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank elena s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed it this hotel, due to the location being close to everything in the downtown Tumon area.
This Hotel has a some what creepy feel to it with a old musky smell and old beds. I placed my luggage in the room and decided to take a walk to McDonalds.

To my surprise when I returned There were roaches every where. It felt like this was a bad dream. I immediately contacted the front desk and explain the issues and requested my money back or another clean room. I switch rooms and made sure we both inspected the room prior to staying, it was late so and all other hotels were full.

I would strongly suggest not booking a room here, unless your bring your roach spray.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank diegoman619

Travellers are raving about these Tumon hotels

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The view is nice, the location is convenient (just a couple of blocks up the hill on the South side of Pale San Vitores Rd, and the room is average (but okay given it's relatively low cost). What was disappointing about this experience above all is the uninspired customer service that made it feel like you're on your own. Coffee? That's $4 for a coffee pot. Cups for coffee? Yeah... that's a problem. Can we return the pot since we don't have the cups? No, that would be difficult. Hair dryer? $4. Extra towel? Don't have one. Taking the towel we do have to the beach? $4. A/C condenser dripped on the floor (and on my suitcase) over night. Extra towel to clean it up? Nope.
The nickel and dime approach, coupled with an un-enthused staff made our stay forgettable. First time in Guam and only one night's stay. Next time, I'll pay a little more and feel like a guest rather than a nuisance. (and maybe I'll get a cup of coffee on the house).

Room Tip: The views of the Bay are quite nice despite the other shortcomings of this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LAWorldTraveler71
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel offers about the cheapest rate in Guam of the hotels that have an ocean view. It is also in easy walking distance to the heart of the eating and entertainment area of Tumon Bay. If you want to do some shopping, see a movie or try some cheaper food options, there is a tourist bus stop nearby that will take you to the malls. Keep in mind that this hotel is old, worn and has no frills (e.g., no ice machine, restaurant, airport shuttle, etc.). The age factor includes the beds, so don't choose this hotel if you are a fussy sleeper. Also keep in mind that the hotel is a ten-minute walk from the beach. On the positive side, all of these factors are why the rate is so low. This isn't a bad choice overall if you are on a budget and aren't concerned about service or creature comforts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the third floor or higher. The lower levels don't have a decent balcon...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
thesticks
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I am writing from my room on the sixth floor of the Tumon Bay Capital Hotel having stayed six nights. I am leaving tomorrow. I loved it. I really loved it.

The Capital Hotel is an old hotel that is past its prime. It is a bit dilapidated and has a DIY feel. I know that there are a lot of tools in what used to a restaurant bar, and I guess that the manager (rather than a professional) uses them.

There is no restaurant (only some cans of soda and beer in a fridge behind the reception counter).

But the prices, room size, view, and location, more than make up for it.

The view is nice. One can see the sea and in March the sun go down- between the Outrigger and the hotel next door under renovation - and the Tumon lights at night. The balcony is great.
There is a little bit of a community atmosphere to the hotel since the hotel is crescent shaped so going on the balcony allows one to say hi to other occupants (not that I have).

The rooms are big. The air conditioning works. The TV is flat screen about 30 inch and fine. There is a smallish clean looking pool on the ground floor with loungers. I saw some Japanese tourists use it. There is a Water-Worldy, slide thing called Tarza (50USD for adults) right next door. Not cheap but great if you come with children of that age.

But why bother with the water world or pool? The Capital Hotel is only 300 metres from the beach. My informant, a Chomorran employee of the University of Guam, told me that it is okay to go through the hotels on the sea front to the beach. I walked through the Plaza-mall (at the base of the slope down from the hotel) through the Outrigger to the beach every day dressing my wet suit and a shirt. ON the last day, today, I just wore my wet suit and reef shoes. No one complained. I hope I was not trespassing. There is a tap on the beach for washing off your feet before going back through the outrigger lobby. If I did not know this/ or do this, then the Capital would be inconvenient since it is a fair walk to the nearest more obviously municipal beach access at the centre of the bay.

Anyone who complains about the slope down to Tumon (about 100m) of fairly steep slope is unfit. If you have a BMI less than 30 it should be no problem.

Tumon Bay has a very strong current which runs parallel to the beach towards the North (i.e. towards the Capital Hotel). This means that if you walk down the main street in Tumon you can cross into the beach via a municipal path (there are some blue railings a little further south of "Osaka Convenience Store" for instance) and the swim, aided by the current, at Michael Phelps speed, back to the Outrigger, and then up to this hotel It is about 1500 metres but the current makes it half that length, depending on the swell.The higher the swell the stronger the, almost always Northward current.

The rooms, like mine, near the wifi transmitters at least have good FREE wifi. I think that there are 9 rooms and a central cleaning room, per crescent shaped floor and the wifi transmitters are (on my 6th floor) outside the 603 and my 606. The guy in 609 was using his computer in the corridor so perhaps likewise 601 may not have good wifi reception. The other rooms X02-X08 should be okay.

The safes are behind reception but I left my valuables in my room. According to a Tumon police officer, there is very little/no theft from locked rooms. Sometimes people leave their rooms open for a while, or the bar thing (that allows you to open your door just a fraction) gets in the way and stops the door from closing and then there has been theft. That said I did not leave my money in a pile on the desk.

Some people have not liked the mattresses. I think that if you weigh more than 100 kg / 200 pounds then you may find the beds too wobbly bouncy.but they were fine for me.

The negative
The pressure in the showers sometimes falls to from a trickle to even zero when many people are using them. If you can wait 10 to 20 minutes I don't think this is much of a problem. I am on a business trip and so it was a bit of a nuisance after going for a swim, and then finding I could not wash the soap off my face just before going to a meeting but fortunately I had a litre of water! No worries. I heard one person complain that their shower did not work. I guess that in an old hotel like this there are bound to be some plumbing issues.

Most of the staff are really nice and very helpful, but there is one young Chomorran or Micronesian (judging from his face) guy who is really terse. He does not say "Hafa Dai" (the standard Guam greeting) or even respond to my good afternoons. He is only one of the staff to refuse to take my key but, with his headphones on, seated, he gesticulated to the key return box. I guess he is not paid much. I wish he could be paid enough, or trained enough to realise that he is working in the hospitality industry and we the guests are on holiday, so a greeting, and if not a smile then at least not being ignored would really help us enjoy his great hotel. I don't want him to get fired, but I hope his boss (he may be the son of the boss? But the boss looks Chinese) asks him to be a little nicer to the guests. We are okay people!

There are three rental bikes but the only one of the three big enough for me (5 foot ten/175cm) is broken. The front gear does not change (I could cope with that) and the back tire rubs on the frame (I could not cope with that). I may bring a smaller slick tire and hire it for a week, or go down to Convenience store osaka to rent a bike and likewise want to change the tire from tractor wheel to smaller slick.The wheels on all Tumon rental bikes are the mountain bike 26 inch variety with tractor tires. I am going to purchase some mountain bike slick tires before I next come!

There is a laundry room (where the hotel washes its towels etc) which one can use for 7USD per load including drying! Wow. I will come back from Guam with clean clothes.

There are no kettles in the rooms but one can hire one for 4 USD for the duration of your stay.

There are good large empty fridges in the rooms (no mini-bar carp). Just go down to one of the many ABC/K mart stores and stock up. ABC offers the best exchange rates (yen to USD) in town.

There is a scuba diving outfit using a room on the ground floor of the hotel with cheap scuba diving tours.

Due to the slope up to the hotel, and the mattresses, I would recommend the Capital to anyone who is not overweight. Even if you are, and don't mind mattresses that are a little bouncy (they don't seem to have the separate springs in individual pockets) then if you hire a car you can park right in front of the hotel and drive down to one of the municipal beaches.

But beware, the currents - along the beach - seem to be strongest at these. About 8 people die of drowning in Tumon bay a year apparently. Don't go out to the reef. If you get caught in the current do not fight it but swim diagonally into the beach and expect to walk a long long way back to where you entered the water. The current is beach-parallel so the problem is panic. The only place that the current or "rip" takes you out to sea is in front of the Westin or Reef hotel where there is an orange buoy marking the start of this sea-ward rip. I swam past it and did not notice but since the water is so shallow (stay well below breast height) it is not a problem. The problem is panic. Go with the current.

There is a free microwave oven on a little table in the lobby. Yes. In the lobby. That sums up the feel, the generosity, the DIY-non-glitzy-friendliness of the Capital Hotel. I am going to go down and heat up my doggie bag of Chinese food and eat it on my balcony. I love the Capital Hotel!

Room Tip: X06 (where x is the floor) and X03 for wifi. The higher the floor the better for view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank timtak
San Francisco
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Stopped in Guam between Asia and Hawaii and didn't want to spend a fortune on hotel. The Tumon Bay Capital Hotel is ok for short stays. I stayed for three nights and rented a car (cheaper than roundtrip taxi to/from airport). There is a decent sized fridge in the room so I was able to do a little grocery shopping with the cat and store in the room. The whole place is old and dated and in need to serious upgrades. However, it is clean, shower was hot, air conditioner worked, and wireless was good.

For solo short stays, it was a decent budget option.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We rented a day room (check in @ 8AM, check out @ 4PM) to have a place to rest in between flight connections. It's the only hotel we found that would allow day room rental in the Tumon Bay area. The rate was reasonable (around 75 USD). Being in the Tumon Bay area, the hotel is very conveniently located, although not on the beach, but just a short 10 min walk uphill from the beach & shopping area. You get to share the beach (which is gorgeous with good snorkeling) with guests from hotels that are much more expensive. Location is definitely a big plus.
The hotel has nice outside and lobby, with an attached dive shop. The room we rented, however, left much to be desired. It was average size, but there was water leaking from the ceiling. The beds were firm and not as comfortable. The linens and towels were thin and worn out, though clean. The A/C worked well, but our room reeked of cigarette smell (so make sure you ask for a non-smoking room at time of reservation). The bathroom was dirty, with hair in the shower. There was no hair dryer, but there were soap and bottles of shampoo from the nearby Outrigger Hotel. Overall the room and bathroom looked very worn out, with broken lock to the bathroom and cabinet doors.

Also note:
1) No safe in the room
2) Small fridge did not work
3) Only given 1 key (no key card)
4) No restaurant on premise, but there are several within walking distance
5) Bring your own beach towel. This is not a resort.
6) No drinking water in the room, so buy your own at the ABC store down the street
7) there is a balcony, so if you want to sit out, request the room facing the ocean

I would rate this hotel a 2, but give it a 3 due to great location

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room facing the ocean. And definitely ask for a non-smoking room if you are not a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank D0n_V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Guam Plaza Hotel
Hyatt Regency Guam
Hyatt Regency Guam
#5 of 20 in Tumon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,074 reviews

Been to Tumon Bay Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!