“Give a chance can be a beautiful hotel.”

Verona Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Texas City, Texas
“Give a chance can be a beautiful hotel.”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Checked in on 5/19 late evening around 8pm front desk clerk took care of processing me quickly the clerk was alert, make good conversation. I asked what floor i was she said the 6th oceanview as what i requested. Went to my room and the view is what i expected from the website except the linens where not what i expected but the bed was comfy. I was told the by the clerk the hotel is making improvements in the room with new bed,furnitures i got the room that was with older furnish but it was still in good condition. Notice in front of the bathroom it was soaked with water and the door edge on the bottom looked like water was there before dont know where the water was coming from but i called front desk they said they cant do anything but will be up to place some towels and maintenance is gone for the evening will have to wait in the morning, so i stepped out to get me a bite to eat and came back and there was still no towels placed on the floor area looked like more water soaking. Morning came to check out and i was at the front desk checking out told the clerk want to speak to a manager the clerk told me she is supervisor and how can she help explained to her my issue with the condition of my room and i want a refund for my stay she says that she has to get her manager. I was already furious at this time and just wanted my refund and leave. Very young lady walks towards me with a smile and introduce herself as the front desk manager and was eager to listen to my complaint i explained to her and told her what happen and she explained to me that this was her first day on the job and was excited to have her first complaint to handle my reply was you just calmed me down from my frustration and she says thank you but i will make sure i listen to your concerns and take actions on correcting it she also mentioned that her biggest actions to move forward is her front desk agents and supervisors have compassion for there guest . We exchange email address and gave me a little update on the hotel renovation and guest service area and she invited me back that if i was traveling back her to give her a chance to make a difference from my last stay here and a comfortable stay next time. She thank me for the feed back and closed the conversation with a smile and says Adios. My frustration was well handle.

Room Tip: Told rooms on 9th floor good but if you have ocean view the view is awesome.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Annie E
MDT671, Front Office Manager at Verona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sapporo
Reviewed 13 March 2014

To be fair to this hotel, I can see they're trying. But they have a long, long way to go. The owners are currently putting money into the exterior. It looks like their shoring up the structure, which we were told was damaged in a super typhoon, leaving the place long abandoned. The hotel is located on the road directly across the street from Kmart, making it convenient for shopping. There is no beach access, we entered through the nearby Marriot. The beach here was really good. The hotel lobby is ok, but the rooms still need a lot of work. My room had a great ocean view (honestly better than my room at the much better Nikko on the opposite end of the beach) but there were no chairs to sit on on the balcony. Also, the balcony door would not lock, meaning I had to carry all of my valuables with me the entire trip, as anyone staying in the neighboring room could have entered my room through the balcony. The same goes for the room on the other side, a room connected to my room via an interior door. My side had no lock on the door. The adjoining room, where a colleague stayed, has a lock. He could have entered my room at any point. Not a comforting feeling if you are traveling alone. The room was ok, for this level of hotel, but the bathroom needs work. The enamel in the tub was coming off and did not at all look inviting. The shower stall had no shelf to put toiletries, I had to put them on the floor outside the shower. The room I had also had no soundproofing at all. I could hear anything happening in the next room. On the first two nights, the wifi was the sole saving grace of this hotel. It worked great in my room. But the third night, the night I needed it most, before leaving the island, no wifi upstairs. So, regular trips to the lobby were necessary and very frustrating. Maid service in the hotel was not good either. Beds were made, but one of the days the garbage wasn't taken out. Another no bath mat was placed in the room. On that day, I got back at 4:30 and the room still hadn't been made up. Ahhh paradise. Clearly this is the hotel of last resort, the one for overflow from other hotels and for people who book too late. Maybe they can turn it around, who knows. But, I won't be coming back to this hotel to find out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank xClark-Griswoldx
MDT671, Front Office Manager at Verona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hafa Adai,

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.

I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.

I would invite you to contact me personally at 671-646-8888 or email at mtorres@veronaresortguam.com

Regards,

Mary D Torres
Front Office Manager
Verona Resort & Spa

Travellers are raving about these Tumon hotels

Busan, South Korea
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I'm familiar to Guam and all its problems. I called the hotel 11hrs before my flight to confirm the kitchenette room I booked will be ready. When I spoke to the front desk she alerted me that I was transferred to the Capital Hotel. Which was a huge down grade (further away from the beach and not a seperated bedroom & livingroom, like I saw in Verona's picture.) I wanted what I paid for which was oceanview. And the manager James was dicking me around. He thought I was already checked in at the Capital hotel and just flat out said "I'm sorry there is nothing I can do now" but when he realized I was not at the capital and not yet on Guam he offered a mountain view room. But I paid for an ocean view and he wasn't going to refund me the difference or offer free breakfast for my stay. I told him that I specifically chose his hotel for the kitchenette b/c I have an infant with me. I told him he was causing problems towards my family. No remorse. Anyways, I did go see the hotel anyways and spoke with a few guest at the pool. They complained about.... well about everthing. No aircon, incompentent staff, ask a question and the response was in left field. I saw several rooms with windows open during the middle of the hit day. I'll get to the point. Change the manager James otherwise save ur money and headache and move on to the next hotel. I freaking hate the place. They are cunning and prejudice to Expedia bookings. Don't risk your stay.

Korean traveller

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rickysem
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The hotel's location was perfect for us because we love going to Kmart. It's just a block away from Kmart and Jamaican Grill (really good resto). The facade of this hotel is nice and it's really huge inside. It can pass as 5 star only if they'll be really working on improving the hotel management. It was like it has been abandoned for a long time. There was this eerie feel in the hallways and in our room. There was this instance when the bathroom light just went off and the aircon malfunctioned. Since Guam is a tropical place, it was really humid! We asked for the aircon to be fixed but no one in the hotel knew how. We wanted to try their restaurant as it seemed appealing to us somehow but, it's already closed at 9pm. No room service after 9??? On the other hand, it has a nice view of the beach and it's also near the centre, very Hawaiish feel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Belle W
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My family visited Guam during the peak season - around a year end - and stayed here for 4 nights.

We arrived at the front desk at 2:30 AM on the 1st day but it took more than 30 min. to find my name in the filing of fax receipts. Front desk even needed my help to find my name in it.

Some guests who arrived earlier than us were also waiting in the lobby to get the their room key at 3:00 AM and some said that they were waiting for more than 2 hours after they arrived at the hotel.

After my booking was verified, I was lucky (!) to receive my room key in 30 min. and get into the room at 3:30 AM. Then I saw a totally ruined room where nothing was prepared to receive any guests.

Near the room, there were a few room maids who seemed very busy to prepare other room and I talked to them to make-up my room in 30 min. We waited for another 30 min. in the floor lobby and the room maids said that they transferred us to the other room on the same floor. At 4:00 AM, we finally got into our room with no telephone, no TV, no stand lamp, no hanger and no coffee maker.

There were 3 elevators but only 1 was working, beautiful X-mas tree and decorations at the main lobby but the electric bikes - which their homepage is advertising - were not available to guests and seemed to be another decoration.

Pool was good for adult and kid - No lifeguard, Min. 120 cm depth - but no snacks and towels were provided near the pool.

Scene from the floor lobby was very nice to see the Tumon bay and K-mart in 10 min. to walk.

Good location and scene couldn't cover up poor services and rooms.

Room Tip: Select a room with ocean view at Higher floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gecko08
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Location: Guam

Staff: I think its Taiwanese owner, staff can speak both mandarin and english. Nice staffs but professional.

Cleanliness: rooms are clean at the beginning but no one seems bother to make up the rooms. We had 6 rooms, most of us only concern to have clean towels but had to call 2 to 4 times till they've sent.

Sleep Quality: good mat and 2 kings size bed in our twin bed room

Quietness: most of my friends heard pipe water running and people talking even water dropping they heard, claimed they been woke about once every 1 hour, but I fell asleep very quick and deep sleep till alarm rang. So, you bet which type you will be in this hotel.

Value: ok

View: nice ocean view at the top side of famous Hotel Road.

Laundry: towels, shampoo & shower gel, tooth brush & paste, hair dryer, microwave and offee maker are provided

WiFi: free provide in whole hotel area but not stable reception, therefore, we needed to connect again and again.

Others: We had 6 rooms but most of my friends felt uncomfortable but I felt nice though. Local friends kept telling me Verona is not good, poor management, I wasn't agree during the stay though they have no system for making up room. Eventually, I totally agreed after I checked out and got to Guam airport to check in my flight back home. I can't deny that I am clumsy but there was no reason for Versona front desk kept my passport for 3 days and 2 nights long. It was disaster but I am glad that I had picked a very nice car rental company Andy Car Rental which I will give reviews next moment. They helped to collect my passport to send back to me at airport in less than 30 mins. Thank God! While Verona front desk staff were still asking me to repeat what was happening!! Guess how I desperated with the staff of this hotel!!

Suggestion: alright, even most of the rooms are renovating. Flight from Hong Kong to Guam or Yap to Guam always arrived in the morning. So, I emailed to reservation@veronaresortguam.com but they never response.

Room Tip: I think half number of the rooms are being renovating, so, our 6 rooms were spread in 5 floors, hope...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank devilcoach
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right at the heart of everything. Short walk to the beach and shopping. This property is undergoing a serious remodel after having sat idle for many years after a tsunami wiped it out. Many areas have been updated and are quite nice (rooms, lobby) but certain areas are still in desperate need of a makeover. I'm rooting for this place! The staff is friendly, but service can be lacking in certain areas. There aren't any dining options on-site --- yet --- but there is a decent pool and lovely views of the ocean. I was here on business and sadly Wifi is spotty and a LAN is hardly available.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank roxycape
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumon
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Royal Orchid Guam Hotel
Oceanview Hotel & Residences
Guam Plaza Hotel
Guam Plaza Hotel
#3 of 11 in Tamuning
Holiday Resort & Spa Guam

Been to Verona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!