“Great little B&B in a town with a lot of competition!”
Review of Mira Monte Inn

Mira Monte Inn
Ranked #12 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great little B&B in a town with a lot of competition!”
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Run by dominant matriarch Marion, the Mira Monte is a lovely friendly B&B where the guests get to sit and chat over breakfast and wine and cheese evenings. Whilst Marion is ever present telling tales of the past, it's her team of all female staff who are the absolute stars - from breakfast through to housekeeping.

Only reason I can't give 5 stars is the mattress was quite uncomfortable. Really could have done with a mattress topper to help it out.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jane A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Folsom, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I came to New England for a nursing convention in Boston and came out a few extra days so I could visit Maine. I am so glad I did this and that I chose Mira Monte Inn as my place to stay while I was there. Bar Harbor was such a great town to visit and the national park next door has some great hiking. I have never heard of either prior to me booking the inn on my way to Maine and the owner, staff and guest were all such great helps in pointing us in the right direction when it came time to explore. My girlfriend and I had never stayed at an B and B before and after staying here we came home talking about how nice it was to have breakfast in the morning and afternoon socialization with the everyone. We loved hearing the stories about Bar Harbor and learning where everyone was from. The food during breakfest was more than I could possibly need and I felt like the owner and staff would have gone out of their way to make sure I had what I wanted. At five in the afternoon there was wine and cheese for two hours and I must have eaten enough cheese and drank enough wine for a week and the staff was still asking if we wanted anymore. The inn was nice, clean and decorated nicely for the period that is modeled after. We stayed in the Atlantic room and it was large and had a jetted tub in the bathroom, which we both fit into nicely. It also has a nice balcony. we are from California and are not sure when we will get the chance head over to Maine again, but when we do this is the place we both agree we'll be staying.

Room Tip: Make sure you talk to the owner and staff about the area. They know so much about the history and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jason M
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2013

First visit to Bar Harbor and the Mira Monte Inn was as described by friends. Great charm, I actually sat in a parlor and finish a book I start some weeks earlier. Victorian though out. Rooms were clean, comfortable with a small balcony giving sufficient room for two for evening cocktails. Morning room dressing was done before 10 am. The bathroom, for our room, was small, bur did contain a large whirlpool bath. Marian Burns, Innkeeper made all feel at home. Evening between 5 and 7 pm wine and cheese was available and Marian was in attendance with stories of the Inn and Bar Harbor. A very easy walk, less then 10 minutes to the downtown and city docks. Four days of rain and fog but still a great get away with many thing to do. Well done and worth a recommendation for anyone visiting Bar Harbor. As advertised with no surprises.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ED W
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband, daughter, and I spent 4 nights at Mira Monte and couldn't have been happier. We arrived in Bar Harbor without reservations at any of the local accommodations, but I wasn't worried since it was before the season. We checked at a couple of motels that didn't provide breakfast with the rooms, and then we stopped at Mira Monte which proved to be a very lucky stop for us. We paid a little more than I had expected to pay off-season, but that was before I experienced the Inn's delicious breakfasts and complimentary wine and cheese in the early evening. The services provided made it a very good value for the price of the room. The Inn is ideally located within walking distance of everything Bar Harbor has to offer, and it's only a short drive or bicycle ride to Acadia National Park. We ended up staying an extra night because we were enjoying the natural beauties in Acadia so much. We'd never been to Maine before. I'm so happy that we went before the height of tourist season, and I'm very pleased that we stayed at Mira Monte Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
LouisaMason, Owner at Mira Monte Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thanks you so much - I am so happy to know that your vacatrion with us was a good one. I listen to my guests and make every efort to give excellent uqlity. Thanks for taking the time to give me such a boost.
Durham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Mira Monte Inn for the fifth time. It has come to feel like home. It has the lived-in charm and character one quickly settles into. The bedrooms are airy and spacious with private baths; many have their own patios. The furnishings are antique and Victorian cottage. The beds are reliably comfortable and 3-sheeted(2 sheets enclose the blankets)-a real plus. You will find everything in the Inn to be clean and fresh. Marion, the proprietor, has owned and run the Mira Monte for over 35 years. She takes great pride in operating a "green" business and is constantly employing new, environmentally sensitive means of operation. Marion has lived in the area for years and is happy to help you find anything you are looking for in the Bar Harbor area. The Mira Monte is conveniently located within a 5-minute walk to the harbor, stores, restaurants, galleries and churches. If you are looking comfort and relaxation and reliably good service with a personal touch, you will not be disappointed in the Mira Monte Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
LouisaMason, Owner at Mira Monte Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thanks so much for giving us such a great review. My motto is to welcome guests and give them lots of choices - in rooms, decor, food, and socially. It helps to know that this policy is appreciated.
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The Mira Monte is one of the gems of Bar Harbor, a warm, welcoming place with great rooms, a great breakfast, and a great location. Owner and host Marian is loaded with local advice and stories, and makes the place special. After a great breakfast, its off for a day of exploring Acadia, Mt. Desert Island, and Bar Harbor itself. Evening wine and cheese is available before you head out to dinner at one of the many great places within easy walking distance. I can't say enough about the place.

Room Tip: Wide selection covering small rooms for two to suites enough for a family
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chrissrli
LouisaMason, Owner at Mira Monte Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write your great review. It is so helpful for me and my staff to know we've done our part in giving you a pleasant vacation. Marian
UK
Reviewed 2 December 2012

First visit to Maine and Acadia National Park. We could have not been more happy with out trip (even the sun came out on the last day). Plenty to do in Bar Harbor - lots of restaurants and quirky shops. Fantastic scenery around the island driving the Park Loop Road and up Mount Cadillac. Bar Harbor was a perfect base and the buildings in this town are exceptionally elaborate! Known as 'cottages' the guesthouses are actually very large. Mira Monte Inn was lovely. Great hosts and an extremely tasty breakfast. The room was a great size with everything we could possibly need. The guesthouse is decorated with all traditional furniture and this seems to be a running theme for all guesthouses in the national park - it makes for an extremely authentic stay. Visiting out of season meant a slightly cheaper stay, but there is fierce competition for accommodation, and all guesthouses are on a par regarding nightly rates. Would definitely return in the future in travelling up this way in the States again.

Room Tip: We stayed in St Saveur room. Lovely little private balcony too - shame the weather wasn't good e...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends