“Great B&B”

Ranked #12 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Massachusetts, USA
“Great B&B”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was our second stay at the Mira Monte Inn.....and whenever we head for Bar Harbor we'll plan to stay there again!

The grounds are lovely, filled with shady places to sit and read and with beautiful wildflower gardens.

The rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable; several (including ours) have balconies or porches. The a/c was really important this trip as it was in the 90s - and it was great to come back to a cool room.

Breakfast is buffet with many choices - breads/muffins, quiches, fruit, yogurt, granola, eggs - with daily variations. The afternoon wine & cheese time is a great way to meet other guests.

Marian, the innkeeper, is a delight. She has to be the matriarch of Bar Harbor; she knows where to go, where to eat, what to do....and has wonderful personal stories of the history of the town.

We love this inn and Bar Harbor and we'd visit more often if it was a bit closer to home.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Mira Monte was above and beyond our expectations. The staff is friendly, courteous and made us feel welcome. When I mentioned that we were on our honeymoon, fresh flowers from their beautiful gardens arrived at our door. The breakfasts were delicious! We highly recommend this inn.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LJMSEP
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The Mira Monte Inn is a few blocks from the center of town, so it is possible to avoid the high congestion tourist places if you want to. Breakfast is buffet and has lots of choices. Afternoon wine and cheese was an added bonus and a great way to relax after sightseeing all day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dancer099
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Mira Monte Inn for a week in June. We chose Bar Harbor because it offered a lot to do and was next to the Acadia National Park. We stayed in the Malvern suite complete with balcony and Jacuzzi tub. The room was extremely large by B&B standards. Service was impecable. We walked to the center of town, about 3 blocks, every day for lunch or dinner or drinks. Shopping is great and spotlights the local artists. Marian, the owner and innkeeper hosts a wine and cheese event in the parlor every day from 5-7. It is here that guests report on their day activities and relish in the wonderful stories and suggestions of what to see by Marian and her assistants. She suggests the best restaurants, best things to do on rainy days and her love for her hometown is remarkable. By following her suggestions, we had one of the most magical, relaxing, and wonderful vacations we have ever had. These two New Orleanians will surely return.

Room Tip: Go to the website and view the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan M
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

My self and my wife stayed there for 2 nights in the south suite which very big and clean comprising of a living room and a four poster bedroom and a jacuzzi, we had an enjoyable stay, very quiet room and a lovely big breakfast, ample car parking and very short walk to the harbour front with many places to eat and drink.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank nedthered
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Run by dominant matriarch Marion, the Mira Monte is a lovely friendly B&B where the guests get to sit and chat over breakfast and wine and cheese evenings. Whilst Marion is ever present telling tales of the past, it's her team of all female staff who are the absolute stars - from breakfast through to housekeeping.

Only reason I can't give 5 stars is the mattress was quite uncomfortable. Really could have done with a mattress topper to help it out.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jane A
Folsom, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I came to New England for a nursing convention in Boston and came out a few extra days so I could visit Maine. I am so glad I did this and that I chose Mira Monte Inn as my place to stay while I was there. Bar Harbor was such a great town to visit and the national park next door has some great hiking. I have never heard of either prior to me booking the inn on my way to Maine and the owner, staff and guest were all such great helps in pointing us in the right direction when it came time to explore. My girlfriend and I had never stayed at an B and B before and after staying here we came home talking about how nice it was to have breakfast in the morning and afternoon socialization with the everyone. We loved hearing the stories about Bar Harbor and learning where everyone was from. The food during breakfest was more than I could possibly need and I felt like the owner and staff would have gone out of their way to make sure I had what I wanted. At five in the afternoon there was wine and cheese for two hours and I must have eaten enough cheese and drank enough wine for a week and the staff was still asking if we wanted anymore. The inn was nice, clean and decorated nicely for the period that is modeled after. We stayed in the Atlantic room and it was large and had a jetted tub in the bathroom, which we both fit into nicely. It also has a nice balcony. we are from California and are not sure when we will get the chance head over to Maine again, but when we do this is the place we both agree we'll be staying.

Room Tip: Make sure you talk to the owner and staff about the area. They know so much about the history and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple