“Clueless about allergies”

Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium
Ranked #3 of 29 Shopping in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter has a soy allergy. Most places have no problem with this. The kid who helped us informed us that every single flavor of their ice cream had soy. After several attempts asking him what she COULD have in the store, he mentioned the gelato may or may not; we asked him which flavors (out of maybe a handful) are ok. Of course, he doesn't know. We ask him to check on a flavor. Ten minutes later he comes back and tells us it has soy. Ok. So what DOESNT? Apparently he expected me to go through every single flavor with him and spend all day waiting on him rather than just check the ingredient list and give us a couple options. We eventually just left. Seriously if you're going to run a business, know what the heck you're selling and try to have some clue about allergens in your products. Don't waste my time being a dip, just give me a couple options.

Knowing that soy is in all of their ice cream, and that soy is a cheap discount thickener, I don't think I'll be back for myself or the rest of the family. Soy is only found in the cheap discount foods where the owner is trying to save money. Obviously this guy doesn't care much about the quality of his ice cream... Or his customer service.

There are newer reviews for Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

The line is long, but worth the taste of the homemade ice cream. There are so many flavors to choose from. The do not have a lot of frozen yogurt or soft serve choices. Everyone in out party felt this was the best ice cream we had while in Bar Harbor. However, it is a bit pricey

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I can't remember the women's name but she had glasses. We talked about a possible grapefruit ice cream in the summer. SHE WAS AMAZING so friendly and the items we purchased were so good we went back the next day!!!! the truffles ppl are to die for SO GOOD so is the blueberry ice cream

1  Thank bradyfamilies5
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Bar Harbor is a wonderful little place on the map anyway. Throw in a great cone of ice cream and an afternoon stroll and it equals automatic romance. I had the blueberry and it was like eating pie in ice cream form, delicious! My wife had one of the chocolate flavors and we walked down to the harbor to enjoy them during a nice sunset.

1  Thank wccope
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife and I were strolling the street having just arrived in town. The big lobster with ice cream attracted us to the door..the smell took us inside. WOW! A lady was making fudge and another at the back welcomed us. Then proceeded to tell us all about the place and by the way have you ever tried Lobster ice cream...so we sampled it and many others. The butter crunch got my interest but we had just finished lunch...so passed on ice cream. It began to rain and this gal asked if we had our umbrellas which we did not...so she rushed out to the back and brought us two. Drop them back when you are done shopping. We did not even buy anything. However when we returned the umbrellas we both tried something..blueberry ice cream and butter crunch. Excellent choices. This a classy store. Go visit when you go to Bar Harbour.

1  Thank 710brucem