“Found a Better Alternative in Bar Harbor”

Bar Harbor Villager Motel
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I usually stay at the Anchorage but based on my review at that property last year, I decided to stay at the Villager. Firstly, they remodel, secondly their Wi-Fi works. Thirdly, they give you an ample supply of toiletries. It is worth paying a few extra bucks over the Anchorage for a lot more comfort and modernity.

Room Tip: I asked for a King, I got a King.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We visit Bar Harbor every year for 4 years and have been pleased with The Villager Motel. The rooms are clean and comfortable with internet access and a fridge. The staff is very friendly and are there each year and you especially can not beat the location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I just spent four nights at the Bar Harbor Villager Motel, which served as my base for a lot of hiking in Acadia National Park. This was my 2nd stay at the Villager. The location of the motel is perfect; just on the edge of downtown Bar Harbor and within easy walking distance of dozens of restaurants, bars, and shops. The waterfront and Shore Path are also just a four or five minute walk away. I even walked to and from the motel when I hiked up Dorr Mountain. Yes, it added a few miles to what I would have hiked if I had parked within Acadia, but I just couldn't ignore the convenience of walking from the motel. The rooms are basic and the property is rather average. However, the rooms were clean, staff was pleasant and helpful, and the continental breakfast was a nice touch. Yes, there are splashier places to lay your head in Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island, but for location/convenience and a reasonable price, I can't imagine a much better place than the Bar Harbor Villager.

Room Tip: I was in room 208, which abutted the 2nd floor ice machine. It got a bit noisy in the mornings when...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I come to Bar Harbor every year to celebrate our anniversary. We used to stay at an expensive hotel and realized we were never in our room. We walked by the Villager and it looked nice and so we tried it. For the money you cannot beat it! It is clean and the staff are very friendly. We always go back to the Villager every year. We don't need luxury because we are never in the room. If you just need a clean place to stay this is your best bet to save yourself some money!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Rooms need renovated , Room was dark and dingy, Everything in the room was 50 years old, Mattress was so worn out it hurt our backs , we left day earlier , AC was 25 years old, Personell were friendly (all foreigners). Breakfast was less then exciting, Location was good, Would not stay there again !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Peter G
CaitlinMeredith, General Manager at Bar Harbor Villager Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. It is always helpful for us to know the areas we can improve upon so that we can better serve our future guests. I am so glad you enjoyed the convenience of our location and the friendliness of our staff. Every year, we spend the winter updating the property to better serve our guests. For this year, all of our guest rooms were repainted, received new drapes and bedspreads, and new pillows. Last year, we renovated all the bathrooms and installed energy efficient low flow toilets, curved shower curtain rods, new light fixtures, new tile floors, and new vanities. In addition, the complimentary continental breakfast was new for last year, and most guests find that it is just what they need to get their day started. We offer 2 kinds of bagels, 2 kinds of muffins, English muffins, hot and cold cereals, hard boiled eggs, assorted flavors of yogurt, a selection of juices, coffee, and tea. I only wish you had let us know about the problems you experienced with the mattress during your stay, so that we could have had the opportunity to move you to a more suitable room for your needs. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in the Annex part of this motel and for the price and location it could not be better. The annex rooms lack a phone and internet connection but thats all. A breakfast room adjacent to the office provides an adequate light morning meal. No need to pay more for rooms in Bar Harbour..save your money to visit the local pubs!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Wonderful location close to restaurants and shopping as well as the Shore Path. It is also just a short drive or bike ride to any one of several entrances to Acadia, clean rooms, friendly staff, nice continental breakfast, reasonable rates. It is the place we like to stay in Bar Harbor! The value can't be beaten!

Room Tip: We like the rooms with the king sized bed.