“Great seafood”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 9 August 2014

An unfussy and all-American menu keeps the punters well fed alongside a bunch of Tex-Mex favourites and, of course, some of that beautiful seafood you'd expect to see in this part of the country. We have an open toasted ciabatta with chicken (10.95), feta, olive tapenade and handful of chips from a packet. Not a lot of creativity there, but that's something you can't expect from a place like this.

Mussels in white wine steamed up the table with sweet aromas of garlic and chorizo as well as a serving of Lexi's shore dinner. Here we have more mussels, half a pound of clams, boiled corn and a lobster slumped over the entire thing. There was meant to be a cup of clam chowder but I only discovered I didn't get it until after we'd left and returned to our B&B. I guess I was so engrossed in extracting the sweet flesh from the lobster that I - along with the waitress - failed to remember what I paid for.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,053)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stopped into the Side Street Cafe after walking across the sand bar to Bar Island around dinner time. The cafe was busy, but my wife and I were seated immediately. Menu is large and includes a wide variety, so it took a while to figure out what we wanted, since we didn't want a large dinner. My wife settled on a cup of the lobster bisque and a half order of mac & cheese with bacon and tomatoes. I had the fish sandwich. All food was delicious. The lobster bisque had large chunks of lobster meat in it. The mac and cheese was done perfectly. The bun for the fish sandwich appeared to be slightly burnt, but tasted wonderful when combined with the very light white fish filet and special sauce included in the sandwich. Although we didn't order much, the food was very good and filling, so we didn't have any room for dessert.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

After a long day of Kayaking we had a recommendation to come eat here by out tour guide at Coastal Kayaking. It was great. The food was good and the atmosphere was fun. There was live music playing while we ate out on the porch.

1  Thank BarefootDuchess
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Cute cafe, amazing food. Loved the lobster mac and cheese! Pretty extensive menu and every person in our 6 person party was pleased with their meal.

1  Thank jars98
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wrapping up our weekend in Bar Harbor we were told to try a little place right by the hotel. The Side Street Café is a quaint, open air eatery with great views for people watching.
I had a pretzel roll Cuban that was terrific and the other 3 in the group had various combinations of mac and cheese meals that were all so delicious looking that I had to stick my fork in each to try. Great beer selection and friendly wait staff. Prices are reasonable.
This café is also open all year-thank you for that.

3  Thank Lee S