“Great day on the water”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great day on the water”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went out on July 8th, weather was absolutely gorgeous. We opted for the tour with the park ranger on board as the kids are getting older. Both kids really liked and got involved by interacting in the touch tanks, etc. We were able to see harbor porpoise, seals, bald eagles. We had gone on Diver Ed a few years back and the equipment has gotten better so that you can see clearly what is happening on the ocean floor. It was a wonderful day.

2 Thank Darbydog06

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"This was the best day of my life!" ~Adam, age 8”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We went on the trip two days ago… July 12. We have been to many, many hands-on aquatic events, so I was a little worried my kids (12 and 8) would be bored… but not so.
The boat was pretty full of other families with kids and the seas were calm. My family loved the dogs… Newfoundlands… big and docile. Don't sit in the front rows if your kids are nervous around dogs… the dogs wander around looking for pats. They've got a pretty good routine going on the boat… name tags for everyone allows Diver Ed and his crew to speak to the kids by name which really engages them, and the kids are invited to help "push in Diver Ed" and help him throw back the treasures. Once Diver Ed comes back up with is treasures, the kids are all invited to sit in front. If your kids are shy, they might want to decline… Diver Ed can be pretty enthusiastic. He seems to have a knack for knowing which kids will want to participate and join in his antics, though. His wife, "Captain Evil", of Kathleen, keeps a running commentary while he's below and the two of them really tried to engage all the kids and families on board. We will definitely go again on our next visit to Bar Harbor. For those reviewers who complained when trips were canceled due to low attendance… when you get confirmation of booking, you are asked to provide a phone number in the event they need to cancel… and you know… do the math and try to guess how much each excursion costs to run… it seems reasonable that they'd cancel due to low attendance Anyway, be prepared just in case of bad or iffy weather.

1 Thank Frances V
Bogart, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our nine-year-old's favorite experience in Bar Harbor. Diver Ed is engaging from the moment you get on the boat until you get off. Not only was the trip fun--but also educational. I would recommend this to any family!

1 Thank Margaret M
New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband, 4 1/2 year old son and I went on the Diver Ed excursion the other day and loved it! Diver Ed and his wife Kathleen are a fabulous team (educated and entertaining). This excursion is a very unique experience and great for both the kids and the adults! It is also just the right length for young children. Definitely recommend - one of the highlights of our three week stay on Mount Desert Island!

1 Thank Farrellfay
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun AND Educational”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm a teacher, and I can say unequivocally, that if Diver Ed had been one of my students, I'd have lost my mind. HOWEVER, as a teacher himself, Ed is exactly what kids love. He's approachable, he's hilarious in that silly-absurd-gross way that kids really appreciate, but he never forgets that his purpose is to teach. My husband and I, our kids long grown and gone, went out for an evening cruise with Diver Ed, Cap'n Evil, the Newfies, and the whole crew, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Seeing the underwater world in crystal clear detail on the big screen was fascinating, and watching the kids touch, hold, and learn about the creatures he brought up for show and tell was entertaining and educational. Although he is clearly a showman, he also asks everyone to wear a nametag, and therefore can interact with the kids (and the adults) in a very direct and personal way.
The ONLY improvement I can suggest is that he practice how he speaks while he's underwater so that he can be more easily understood. Most of the time, his sidekick (and wife), Cap'n Evil, had to translate for us to be able to follow his comments.
Well worth the price, and a real "must-see" if you visit Bar Harbor.

1 Thank Peggy J