“Charming rustic cabin by the lake” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woodland Park Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Woodland Park Cottages
Stockholm, Sweden
“Charming rustic cabin by the lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

A wonderful quit place to stay for a vacation in Arcadia national park. The cabin was only free for 3 nights but we wished that we had booked more well in advantage because we would have loved to stay a there for a week, we were all, me and my husband and our teenagers were positively surprised. Considering the price and the website and the name we were really skeptic to go there. But it’s so much nicer when your expectations exceeds instead of the opposite. We found a clean, perfectly functional cabin by the lake, with a big screened porch. We used the porch every evening for our meals, playing games and just relaxing. The only thing that didn't impressed us was the bed in the master bedroom, it felt old and well used. We had a beautiful ocean view from the porch. I and my son used the small boat jetty to take a swim in the ocean, I had some problems to get up back up again because there is no ladder, but most people we meet had problems getting in to the rather cold water. We’re from Sweden and are quite used to cold water.
The owners, Paul and Julie, were very helpful and gave us good advice on what to do in Arcadia National Park and how to book it. Really nice and service minded owners.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is way more practical than a hotel room for a family, at around the same price!

We stayed in the Bay View cabin, which has two small bedrooms: one bedroom with a queen bed and one bedroom with two twins, a full kitchen, a good-sized living-dining room, a large screened porch with picnic table and 2 chairs, and a small bathroom. For our family of four, this was perfect. They have other cottage layouts to suit other group sizes.

This is not a fancy hotel -- it's a cabin in the woods. It is clean and in pretty good repair, but in no way fancy (for example, the floors are painted wood that show some wear). There was a small TV in our room with cable, and free wifi. There is no air conditioning, but there were 2 fans provided which were more than sufficient. It was quite comfortable during our August stay. The queen bed was very firm (bordering on too firm) and the two twins were on the mushy side, but everyone slept fine. As others have mentioned, the cabins are in a nice wooded area on a pretty sea cove. You do get some road noise -- we ran the fans at night even when it was cool enough that we didn't really need it, to cover the noise, which worked well.

The screened porch was our favorite part of the cabin -- it was where we ate our meals and played games in the evenings. One night we barbequed and roasted marshmallows on one of the provided BBQs, eating by the bay at one of the picnic tables behind our cabin.

The kitchen is very well equipped. Other than our two trips to the lobster pound, we made all our own meals, which enabled us to save a lot of money on our vacation. We packed wrap sandwiches to take into the park most days, or came back to the cabin for a break at lunch and then packed sandwiches for a dinner picnic at sunset. The only thing that the kitchen lacked was counter space! We found ourselves using the stove top as a counter a lot of the time. (The bathroom also lacked counter space -- we set one of the bedside tables outside the bathroom to store some of our toiletries and medications on.)

My kids had fun skipping rocks in the bay at high tide. We meant to take advantage of the kayaks available for rent, but never found the time. Perhaps next trip :)

The location is convenient to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, as well as to the less expensive lobster pounds in Trenton (just off the island).

The Muns are lovely hosts, and loaned us a couple of trail guides for Acadia, and gave us a bunch of advice when we arrived. They also have a huge selection of games available for guests to borrow.

We don't get to visit that region every year, but when we come back, we would definitely want to stay at Woodland Park again!

Room Tip: Go to the Woodland Park website and check out the cabin layouts to find one that looks right for you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank VermontPurple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Woodland Park Cottages in mid July. It was a family reunion. We rented 4 cabins. They are basic cabins but more than sufficient. Up keep is average but very clean. The kitchen is full of all the needs to have a full meal or quick breakfast, your choice. The cabin we stayed at had 2 bedrooms,a living area, small bathroom and a wonderful porched in patio. My wife and I got the master bedroom while my 2 sons shared the 2 single beds in other bedroom.

The place was comfortable and quiet.They have a fishing dock and are right on the bay so water sports (canoeing, kayaking swimming) are all easy to do. The grounds have a BBQ area with picnic tables and is well wooded.

I would go back again.The owners, Paul and Julie, are very helpful and will give you wonderful insight as a tourist visiting the area.

The price is just right. An overall wonderful stay. If you are looking to stay at a high priced well manicured hotel room this is not the place. If you want a place that is quiet, hidden away and reasonable this is the only place to look for. The scenary speaks for itself. If you are still not convinced, call the owners. Paul and Julie were always willing to answer our questions and call us back. They are prompt with email and probably can send you some great pictures too. They know the island and area so you will have a leg up on where to go and where not to go.

We had no problems and it was a wonderful vacation and stay.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Frank L
East Norriton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

One day into this wonderful place and we knew we had to get reservations for next year....we're back home in Pa. now and can't wait until next year, trying to figure a way to get back there again this summer! My husband and I have been going to Bar Harbor for years and love the whole Acadia/Mt.Desert Island/harbor towns atmosphere. We've always stayed at the same little motel, the usual, bedroom and bathroom in town. This year we just happened to stop in Woodland Park Cottages to see prices for next year, before we knew it, we were checking out of the place we've stayed for years and absolutely fell in love with this place! To go from a bedroom with bathroom typical motel, to a fully equipped cabin on the water with bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen with EVERYTHING you could possibly need AND a fabulous deck with chairs and picnic table overlooking the cove......it doesn't get any better than that! I told my husband I didn't want to write how great this place is due to being selfish and not wanting others to discover it....but hey, I GOT my reservations in already for the next trip! We were just blown away with this place, so quaint, quiet, charming, rustic and the peace and serenity that comes over you is undescribable sitting on the deck in the morning with your coffee or the evening with a glass of wine. The motels in town are great, but you wake up in the morning and need to vacate for the day because who wants to sit around a motel room? At the cabins, you have a hard time leaving to see the rest of the island because it's SO beautiful RIGHT THERE! And the fact that you can get kayaks and row boats, can fish off the private dock there, I could go on and on. One of the most special things I found though, was how special the owners are and how long they have been there. Great people, great history behind the place. We can't stop telling people about the place, it's exactly what we've always dreamed of and are so glad we stopped in that day, which turned into almost a week....we didn't want to leave. Their website doesn't do it justice (no offense), it is such a fabulous place and we feel fortunate to have found it. Very family friendly, nature freak fulfilling. Hope it never changes.....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank skippy033
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was the third annual trip that my wife and I have made to Woodland Park Cottages and we absolutely love the experience. Staying at Woodland Park is truly an experience - the cabins are rustic and cozy, you are right on the water with access to kayaks and fishing and wildlife, and you are minutes from beautiful Acadia and downtown Bar Harbor.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jaftravelers
brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

My family and I started going to Acadia every year when I was about 5...(I am now 33).
My mom and dad picked Woodland Park to stay at because unlike many rental cabins...their cabins were big enough for a family of 5.
We stayed here every year. I can't even begin to tell you about all the incredibly fond memories I have of this place.
In 2005 my husband and I rented 5 cabins for our wedding party to stay at...everyone loved it and had a wonderful time.
The family that runs the place is wonderful and helpful. I have stayed in all the cabins ,accept Puka Place, and they are all great....I am not as fond of the Parrot now that they have renovated it, but others looking for a little less rustic place to stay would like that one.
I have seen seals, porpoise, pilated woodpeckers and a whole bunch of animals while staying there. I have caught mackerel right down by the dock, cleaned them up and ate them for breakfast.
The cabins are right on a nice, secluded cove. There are BBQ grills. No TV, no phones. Affordable and they are right near Acadia...what could be better??
If you have kids, they will have a blast!

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank photodaisy
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

My sister and I stayed in Bayview cottage, which was immaculate, the living area is spacious and comfortable, with small cable TV & wifi, we had w/2 bdrms, fully equiped kitchen, the bathroom is a bit cramped and the claw foot tub can be challenging for showers, but the rustic decor is nice. There is a large screened in porch overlooking the ocean which is key for enjoying the evenings (no bugs) - we enjoyed our morning coffee and evening games on the porch.

The Mun's are very hospitable offering local advice, a library of books, including Acadia guides plus a good selection of board games. They are located off a main road with vehicle noise, but it wasn't bothersome, and they had very clean BBQs, outddor seating and picnic benches. We really liked the natural wooded setting, other nearby cabins are more "clearcut" with no trees in between cabins. They have a dock, row boats and kayaks. There was plenty of privacy and made you feel like you are in the woods and the ocean at the same time!

Reasonably priced, ask about nightly rates, the website only lists weekly, but we stayed 3 nights. Website offers lots of details, including cottage floorplans and lots of pictures. Close to Acadia park entrance, only 6 miles to Bar Harbor. I'd stay there again and highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2010