“Been staying here for years”
Review of Bar Harbor Motel

Bar Harbor Motel
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My family has been visiting Acadia every year for the past 30 years, and we always stay at the Bar Harbor Motel. Since the beginning, the place was owned and operated by a lovely couple who always made us feel welcome and like we were part of the family. Recently, the motel changed hands and last May, we experienced the motel under its new ownership. Gone were the personal touches - the lobby had been turned into a cheap-motel-feeling breakfast bar (with your basic variety of cereals, etc). The grounds looked like they could use some landscaping as well.

We also had an incident with the housekeeping staff that I've never experienced before, at this motel or elsewhere. I washed my face after a day of hiking and dried it using one of the handtowels. Some of my tinted sunscreen/foundation ended up on the towel, but that's typical anytime you're washing off makeup and the towels/facecloths are white. I didn't think anything of it until the next day when the maid left several makeup remover pads in our bathroom sink when she cleaned the room. I couldn't tell if she was trying to be helpful (I had brought makeup remover with me already), or passive aggressive - but the whole thing rubbed me the wrong way.

The biggest pros are the location - it's very close to town and the Acadia National Park entrance. The price is cheaper than most hotels in the area, but be prepared to sacrifice some amenities. There are hiking trails on property, and overall the place is pretty quiet.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mandius
Patricia P, General Manager at Bar Harbor Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Adviser. We want you to know, in no way was the makeup remover put there for any other reason, than we put them in every room. It is another amenity we provide for our guests. Our apoligies, if you felt affended in anyway.
Our continental breakfast has been very well received by other guests, they seem pleased with a good start to their day. Along with the hot and cold cereals, we offer an assortment of muffins, bagels, eggs, fruit, hot choclate, teas, coffee and juices. We hope to keep improving all
our amenities.
We look forward to seeing you again,

Regards,
Pat Parks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I found the Bar Harbor Motel an absolutely wonderful place to stay! Everyone who works there is so friendly and helpful! Our room was extremely clean, and we found the motel very quiet. The pool was clean as well and perfectly heated. There were plenty of great chairs around it to relax in. The breakfast was outstanding with so many choices. What a great way to start our day. We were able to catch the Explorer right out front and were at Acadia National Park in no time. We can't recommend this motel enough, and we will be back!! Thank you for everything!! -Debby Jones

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We have stayed in Bar Harbor many times over the years, and the accommodations have always been quite satisfactory. This year, after searching the internet, we settled in on the Bar Harbour Motel, just about a mile out of the downtown area. We had never stayed there before, but their web site painted a picture of tranquility and comfort, so we took a chance and booked it.

The manager, Ms. Pat Parks, knowing we were seniors, assigned us a room near the top of the rise that turned out to be perfect for us. It was a large room with two queen beds and was sparkling clean and tastefully decorated. The well-shaded covered deck was an ideal place to relax and read when we were not hiking or bussing around the Island.

The afternoon of the first day, the air conditioner started rattling when the compressor came on. We called the office and reported it, and were told they would get to it right away. It took all of five minutes for the workers to get there. After they fixed it, they advised us to call the office if we had any more issues with it. After ten minutes it started rattling again, so I called the office again. Ten minutes later the guys rolled in with a new air conditioner. I have to admit, I am just not used to this kind of service. Numerous times during our stay, these guys checked back with us to ensure that all was okay with the air conditioner. This wasn’t an isolated courtesy, as all the staff treated us like we were part of their family. We really felt special.

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel for five days, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Their Continental breakfast is great, and on the 4th of July they put on a special barbecue for the guests. Again, great!

The free shuttle bus stops right at the front of the motel with connections to just about any point on the island. The first day we hiked the trail from the back of the motel to the Visitor Center and took the bus back to the motel.

We will be booking at the Bar Harbor Motel again next year, and we are already looking forward to it. Our compliments to Ms. Parks and her staff for truly giving their guests an experience of a lifetime.

James & Barbara Mac Donald
Blacketts Lake, Nova Scotia

Room Tip: They have numerous rooms and locations to select from.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Four of us (my parents and my husband and I) just returned from a 4-day trip to Bar Harbor over the 4th of July weekend. Like several other reviewers on here, we chose the Bar Harbor Motel based on all of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. And based on all of the prior great reviews, I have to admit we were a little disappointed. While there were definitely some pros (which I'll go into), in general, we felt that it was only just "adequate." We plan to come back to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park next year, and when we do, we will probably choose another hotel.

First the pros: the bathroom was nice and clean, the check-in staff was nice, and the housekeepers were very nice people. The pool also looked nice and clean (though I have to admit that we didn't use it). The continental breakfast was a nice touch and completely unexpected. The housekeeping staff changed our towels and provided new toiletries regularly every morning, and did so early (so you didn't have to worry if you were going to get your room serviced each day; you could count on it).

Overall, however, we couldn't help but feel the room had not been cleaned as thoroughly as it should've been prior to our arrival. We stayed in a 2-bedroom "family unit." We found brand new clothing tags/wrappers on the floor when we arrived (in the back bedroom) and also found a child's pair of shorts underneath one of the beds (from a prior guest). We felt that had the housekeepers taken the time they should've to prepare this unit for our arrival, these things would not have been there. We also couldn't help but notice that the mattresses smelled kind of funny - not moldy, just kind of stinky. Probably the thing that bothered us the most (and why we'd probably go elsewhere next time) was that there was only 1 window A/C unit for the 2-bedroom unit. If you kept the door open between the units, perhaps it would've been ok, but when you're dealing with snoring issues or other privacy issues and need to keep that door closed, it is just unbearably hot. They really need to either have 2 window units or central A/C during the hot weather months. For those of us unused to the heat/humidity, it's miserable.

The continental breakfast in the lobby was ok - nothing to write home about, but nevertheless appreciated. They had bagels, English muffins, oatmeal packets, 2 types of cereal (Raisin Bran and Fruit Loops), hard boiled eggs, muffins, juice, milk, and coffee. But, Bar Harbor Motel - if you're listening -- I do have some constructive criticism on the continental breakfast. In my opinion, I think it would work better to have 1 more table set up in the lobby -- maybe over by the sink somewhere kind of out of the way to put the appliances (toaster and microwave), condiments, and dishes/flatware on by themselves. Unlike other reviewers, I felt the Bar Harbor Hotel was adequately prepared for the amount of guests who would partake of the breakfast (food-wise) -- however, I felt that there was just a "bottleneck" area by the toaster that kind of backed everyone up because so many people were always waiting for their toast. In fact, 2 toasters in a table placed out of the way of the other food items would probably help alleviate a lot of the congestion.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank naturegirl94
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We are not at all sorry we stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel, but you definitely get what you pay for. There were lots more nicer, more convenient hotels in Bar Harbor, but for the price this was a perfectly fine motel. The rooms smelled a little moldy and an exterminator was spraying for ants everyday we were there. But we were close to the pool, which was great after a long day of hiking or biking. The beds were not what you get at a pricier hotel, but they were very comfortable. The staff was nice. The free breakfast they are now offering (under new management) was great. We ate there every day and enjoyed talking to some of the other guests. This place takes you back to the nostalgia of family road trips where these motels were the norm. We liked it and would stay there again if we're in the area. If you're used to newer hotels and that's what you're expecting don't stay here. If you're looking for a good value and a comfortable place to rest your head, this is a good MOTEL.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RichmondReviewer_13
Reviewed 8 July 2012

After reading LOTS of reviews for this and other properties in Bar Harbor, we chose to stay at the Bar Harbor Motel. The positive reviews and the availability of a two room family suite convinced us.

We arrived in the evening and were disappointed as soon as we walked in the door. The overwhelming smell of pine freshener nearly drove us out. In fact, if the motel did not have such a strict policy about changing reservations, we would have left immediately. We stayed for our three day commitment, but were not comfortable.

The bathroom was not clean. Shampoo bottles from the previous occupants were still in the shower and hair was on the bathroom floor. I killed several bugs while we were there and noticed the carpet needed to be vacuumed.

One night we had trouble sleeping because we could hear the snoring in the room next to ours and we had the windows closed with the air conditioner running.

While we appreciate a free continental breakfast, we did not enjoy the experience. A sign admonished us not to take too much food and we had to ask for several items to be refilled. We chose to eat breakfast out after that.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Carrie F
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Our first visit to Mount Desert Island (June 22-25) came and went much too quickly. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are places to which I would love to return, but for reasons that I’m still trying to put my finger on, Bar Harbor Motel was less than I expected although I would stay there again. The property was clean, quiet, and conveniently located. All but one of the women at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. That they serve a complimentary continental breakfast was a nice surprise, and we encouraged them to advertise that fact. Maybe it was the spotty weather or the earliness of the season, but the grounds had an untidy feel, and I found myself wishing that we had visited before the change in ownership and had experienced the attention to detail that according to earlier reviews made the motel extra-special and more than a clean, affordable place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family