“Recommend for Relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
New York
“Recommend for Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here based on other reviews, and picked a nice place. It is well out of the tourists walking about, although not far removed at all. If you are looking to relax with an awesome view of the bay in a quiet place away from the crowds, this is it. A very clean place, with very helpful staff. We didn't have enough time to spend relaxing on the deck because we had only a few packed days of activities. We stayed in the regular hotel, not the townhouses. It looks like a decent pool to cool off in, although we didn't check it out. The breakfast that was included was also a big factor in booking the Bayview, as I like a buffet to please everyone's tastes, as well as being convenient. On both mornings there was a hot entree, along with a super assortment of pastries, danish, breads, fruits, yogurt, and more. Everything was delicious, freshly made, and they must have a superb chef. The afternoon cookies were homemade and amazing also. The only thing I didn't care for was the furniture - very old fashioned and not the type most people like. The bathroom was nicely updated except for the mirror. The carpet seemed new. I think they would make travelers extra happy with some upgrades. Aside from that, I would definitely recommend staying here.

3 Thank fairreviewinny
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. I am glad you had a nice time and sorry you didn't get to relax! We hope you will come back again and take the time to swim in the pool and relax on your deck. A nice cup of tea, a good book and cookies on a waterfront deck, now that sounds like a great vacation! As I have said many times, try as we might, we can't always score with all of our decorating choices. What a boring world it would be if everyone agreed with our tastes! We do update and renovate every winter and we do listen to our guests so I will keep your comments in mind as we plan our winter work. Sometimes I change something in the rooms because it is popular and the next season what was old last year is the "new" of this! We'll just keep trying! Thank you again for the great review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

This property is outstanding, as noted by so many before me. Hard to describe why one loves this place so much since it is not a huge elaborate resort with piles of amenities, but rather just a simple, wonderful place to stay. It's basically a large bed and breakfast with superb, large rooms - each with a wonderful view of the water, an extremely positive, friendly, eager-to-help staff, a wonderful breakfast each day that matches the best B and B's, and an excellent location away from the t-shirt shops of BH, but well-situated to do anything one wants to do on MDI. Someone is doing something right with this property. If i could give this 6 stars, i would. And I'm typically a rather jaded traveler.

2 Thank newjerseycommentator
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Wow, you made my day with your words! A "rather jaded traveler"who saw us for exactly who and what we are! A simple, wonderful place to stay. I think I will add your words to my description of who we are from now on! I have been getting some really nice phrases from our reviews lately and no one says it better than an actual guest! Thank you so much for the high praise. It was most definitely our pleasure! Please come back again!
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Our family of 4 had booked the 3 bedroom townhouse thinking we would have 5 to stay. Well, plans changed we forgot but thanks to the flexibility of the staff my sister's family was able to switch and join us in the townhouse. Perfect! The staff, Thomas, Ashley, Betty, Al, Gregg and Chris made the experience just great whether it was the perfect hike, picking up pizza after a long day, helping with coordinating some day trips or just generally being a pleasure to chat with throughout. The townhouse itself was a really comfortable space even for 8 people and it was in really good shape. The only minor complaint was the 3rd floor tv was not working too well. Overall, though well worth it. We are not sure when we will find ourselves in Bar Harbor again but I can assure you it will be at Bayview. Oh, and I cannot leave without saying the afternoon cookies were simply incredible.

1 Thank Howard J
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Ah, the "infamous hype"! It is always tough to live up to it because every guest is different. Try as we might, we know we can't please everyone. We did succeed with you and your family and that makes us smile! I am glad the vacation was all that you hoped it would be. I am sorry about the 3rd floor TV and will make sure that maintenance checks it out. All in all, hype aside, we are very pleased you had a great time. Should you ever come back again, we'll be sure and save you some of those incredible cookies!!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I have stayed here before and will stay again, the rooms have a timeless elegance, and are spacious and spotless. The staff is always on their A game. Like others have said try to stay on the second floor- the view is very beautiful. Don't be put off by the distance to town- there is a shuttle provided!
Will be returning again next August !

• Stayed August 2013
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you! So many of the faces that walk through the door have been here before. It is a wonderful compliment to all of us and we really appreciate that. I think it is difficult for first time guests to really grasp the size and location of this property until they actually arrive. You mentioned your preference for the second floor and as I have stated before, it is a matter of personal preference for sure. My favorite is the first floor, yours is the second and others prefer the third. Different preferences, same view, same timeless elegance (I really liked your description!) and same staff. Thank you also for pointing out that town is not that far! We look forward to welcoming you back next August!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We and another couple traveled to Bar Harbor to celebrate our birthdays as well as our wedding anniversaries. We chose the Bayview through trip advisor. The minute we drove up to the building we knew that this was the place for us. We were greeted by an extremely nice staff, they continued to meet our every needs throughout our stay.

Entering our rooms we were greeted by a magnificent view of the bay. The rooms were very roomy and very clean. Breakfast was to die for. The chef continually out did herself every morning. Her baking skills are second to none. Need I say that the cookies placed at the front desk were unbelievable?

You won't be sorry to stay at the Bayview.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you! I remember welcoming you and not knowing who was celebrating what but we were glad you came here! Once again our guests point out the best things about us. The staff, the view and the food! It is truly a combined effort. The view motivates us, the guests appreciate us and the food that Nora bakes fuels us!! Can't beat that combination. Please join us again on another special occasion or no special occasion at all, just come back again!
Delaware, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Just spent three relaxing and wonderful nights at The Bayview. Relying on Trip Advisor, we booked the hotel on the basis of very good reviews and...they were justified. The staff is the most friendly and helpful we've ever encountered. From helping us find just the right dinner location to driving us there in the hotel vehicle, they made it easy and fun. These folks simply cannot do enough to help you out.....without being intrusive.
Breakfast is great and included in the room charge. That is the only meal they serve. However, Bar Harbor has many, many great places to eat so, not a problem!
Back at the hotel after dinner, stop by the small bar for a nightcap with Thomas or Claire. Both keep you entertained and made to feel part of the family.
The rooms are very nice and open to bay-view balconies. The view is simply beautiful. The condition of the hotel and rooms is top-notch. We simply have no complaints and can't wait to go back to ba-ha-bar!!

Room Tip: All rooms in the main hotel are fine but we particularly enjoyed being upstairs on the second floor...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank William H
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Thank you very much! We are glad we did not disappoint you! Our guests have been so appreciative this year and we feel the same way. It isn't difficult to be friendly and helpful when you receive the same treatment right back. I feel very lucky to be part of a team that actually enjoys their jobs and do a great job too. Seems we even worked on your pronunciation of our town! I will pass along the praise to all and especially Claire and Thomas. Seems they have been making lots of friends this year. I figure that means we may be seeing you again some day! We will look forward to it and thank you for the great review!
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I found this hotel through trip advisor and I was lucky enough to call and get a room for two nights. I would like to say this hotel is number one on trip advisor because of the view- it certainly could be it is on water with an excellent view of Harbor; I would like to say it is number one because of the overall property- it could be the rooms are very nice and I think most have a big private porch and view of the harbor like mine did; I would like to say it is number one because of the food- it could be- I had the best breakfast each day which is included in the price and the cookies at the front desk and the free cheese and crackers at the bar: I will say it is number one because of the people- whether it is Thomas at the front desk or Claire at the bar or the women who makes all the delicious food- they are all so friendly and work extremely hard to make sure your vacation is perfect. Thank you.
I noticed that many of the guests make this hotel a stop for a week or more every year and I can see why because they truly treat you like that special cousin who is just in town for a few days or a week. This hotel makes you feel like a home away from home.
This was my first trip to Bar Harbor and there is a lot to do. The people at the Bayview will provide you the best advice. Enjoy.

2 Thank Gregory M
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for the very thorough and glowing review. I think I checked you in and you were so happy to be here and see a familiar face! You made the comment about knowing Thomas's name because you saw him at the bar in a picture on Trip Advisor! You walked in the door and fit right in. Yes, we welcomed you like family and you treated us exactly the same way. Thank you right back for making our jobs more fun than work! We try to give everyone that same feeling but it doesn't always happen. So, from Claire and Thomas and all of our staff a heartfelt thank you! We hope we see you again someday!