“Really, not bad, just one thing.”
Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom town house in May of 2013 for a week. There were many pluses: the cookies daily, daily housekeeping (although it does start a bit early in the am for vacation people), beautiful townhouse, shuttle to town, spacious and comfortable accommodations, and, of course, the proximity to town ( we walked to Bar Harbor most days) and to Acadia (we could drive to all hikes within a few minutes. The only reason for the 4 star review as opposed t a 5 star is that the townhouse walls are very thin and when there was someone next door it was very evident. We had very young children on one side and they were up and down the stairs (3 stories on either side) and up and down. It was very late and hard to sleep. Luckily, we had ear plugs. The view was just wonderful. The breakfast was really good, we appreciated the fact that they had oatmeal and fruit because baked goods were just too rich for a whole week! The guy who "worked" the breakfast while we were there was very accommodating ( we wanted to sit on the deck one morning when everyone else thought it was too cold, but being from the townhouses we had jackets on so he set our table for us). Wonderful experience, just would have liked to do without the noise of the townhouses next to us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

I had to laugh when I read your review! I could just hear my mother saying, "There is just no accounting for bad behavior!" I wish you had called us about the noise because we could have called the parents and asked them to try and keep it down. The townhouses were originally built to be individual condominiums and I think they worked hard on the soundproofing. We have found that sometimes people need a reminder that there are other people around and other times we have found that some people just don't care who they bother! We do care and I apologize for their lack of consideration. I totally expect and want children to laugh and have fun all day but I also expect children and their parents to respect those around them. I am glad that overall you had a wonderful experience and hope you will come again.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I can't say enough good things about The Bayview. Book early! Three years ago we stayed at The Bayview and had a room on the top floor and this time those rooms were already booked months in advance but I knew any room would be great. I didn't realize when I booked the room that it was actually down some stairs but was notified by the inn that there was a room available on ground level that would involve no stairs at all. How thoughtful! I have a neuro-immune illness (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - yeah, a mouthful) plus Fibromyalgia which makes walking quite difficult on some days and always by the evening, so this meant more than they could even have guessed. The inn is on a hill so you still get a very nice view of the ocean from this level so we didn't miss staying on the top floor at all. The property is gorgeous, the breakfast to die for, the rooms extremely comfy and then there are the spacious balconies with that ocean view - perfection. The entire staff is SO friendly and helpful and the shuttle downtown is priceless. We braved the drive downtown a couple of times once we grew more familiar with the layout of the town and the parking lots, but it was great to have someone drop us off and pick us up after the Whale Watch and Nature Cruises, both well worth the money, by the way (Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.). We're very happy we were able to visit before Acadia closed as we spent a lot of time in the park. The Acadia carriage rides are a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours but be sure to book ahead. Luckily, we were in Bar Harbor for 5 days so on Tues. we were able to book a ride on Sat. Don't miss the lobster rolls and chowder...O.K....chowdah...at The Thirsty Whale. The lobster rolls aren't huge, but perfectly delicious. Hey, order two if you want more! I loved the shrimp chowder this trip and the lobster chowder 3 years ago. They have great sweet potato fries too. Check out Mt. Desert Ice Cream too. There are 2 locations and the Maine Sea Salt Caramel is the best ice cream I've ever tasted, seriously. Mainely Meat is good if you're tired of lobster, love BBQ and don't need a fine dining atmosphere. The Looking Glass restaurant was good for fine dining with an exceptional hilltop view, but make reservations if you want to sit near a window. Back to food at The Bayview, enjoy the breakfast and don't worry about your diet! I've never had better pastries, muffins and other goodies at any other hotel or inn. There is always a good hot option or two and you can order other hot items if you prefer. As others have mentioned, the afternoon cookies are to die for. They even had some cream puffs a couple of afternoons that tasted just like my grandmother's. We found one restaurant near the inn to avoid, Jack Russell's. What a rip-off! They'll get their own review from me soon. That was our only bad experience in Bar Harbor. Sounds as if I'm obsessed with food! Yes, we came waddling home but the vacation weight is almost gone and I'll diet all winter so enjoy! As for lodging, The Bayview is the best! Thanks to everyone at The Bayview again for a wonderful stay! I hope we can make the trip from IL again someday.

Room Tip: We would suggest a room on the top floor if you can climb their beautiful staircase, but the 2nd flo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you! Your review was one of the most detailed and informative ones I have ever read. The waddling comment was very personal to us here! We all think it is our duty to taste test everything that is put out there, because really, how can we expect you to like it if we don't? Judging by the few pounds some of us (ok, me) have put on this summer, we like everything just a wee bit too much! How great that you were here while Acadia was still open and were able to tour around. We are finding now with the Park closed that our guests are finding plenty to do and the weather has been so wonderful everyone is taking advantage of the view and the decks! I am glad we were able to accommodate you and also glad that your health did not interfere with your visit. We look very forward to seeing you again someday!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

The Bayview in Bar Harbor is a terrific and pretty place to stay while visiting there. The customer service is unparalleled. A wonderful breakfast is included with your room rate. We usually get a room on the top floor because we don't like to hear overhead noises, but the only unit available for us when we booked was on the first floor. We were assured that we would not have a problem with noise, and they were right. We were on the bottom floor, end unit, with a beautiful view of Frenchman's Bay. I am sure that the third floor view is a little better, but we were very happy.
The Bayview is located a little out of the downtown area, but they provide on-demand shuttle to wherever you would like to go. The drivers even give you a little information and history as well when driving you around and you never have to wait but a few moments to be taken anywhere or picked up. We liked being away from the hustle and bustle of the tourists where it was more quiet.
The room was spacious and modern with a really comfortable king bed, flat screen TV, and a KEURIG coffee maker. When we got to our room, we saw that the coffee provided was not our favorite brew, so we asked if they had the brew we liked for the Keurig (dark roast), and they happily provided it. We had booked a 3-day weekend package which included a couple of tours and a dinner--well worth it! A good value!
Back to the customer service--we can't say enough good things about their customer service--they are tops! We will certainly stay there when we go back!

Room Tip: If possible, Try to get a third floor room for the view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great and detailed review! I think I will hire you to do the advertising for us! I am glad you had such a great time. The packages have been very popular this year with our guests. Simple and a good value. I think you also made it here before Acadia shutdown so that is a good thing too! For the record, I would like to state that my favorite floor is the first floor and I am really glad you liked it. To me there is an extra feeling of privacy and nature there. You still have a raised balcony and the view doesn't change when you are just 75 feet from the water. The original foundation shore wall of the "cottage" next door makes a beautiful backdrop too. Now, as far as the coffee, I was happy to give you that dark roast. Don't know how people drink the strong stuff! In fact, I will make sure we have some on hand for the next time you come and visit! Thank you again!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Based on Trip advisor reviews, we made reservations at the BayView Bar Harbor, ME. Wow! what a great place to stay! I made the reservations several months ago and had questions about the room options. I called the Hotel and the person I was talking to took the time to take photos of the rooms and then text them back to me so I could make a choice! wow! Now that is service! So driving up to the BV, it is down a lovely tree lined drive. Lovely, inviting exterior. Staff were phenomenal. Our room was on the first floor which is actually down a flight of stairs. Huge private deck for us with view of the water. BV is waterfront, there are o other buildings between you and the bay. Room was very comfortable and included small refrigerator (no freezer) and microwave. Bathroom had large cabinet and counter. room to keep your toiletries under the sink if you like. Bathroom and entire facility was immaculate. Bed had duvet as well as blanket (it can get cold in Maine!). We had king sized bed, pull out sofa, addtl chair. Internet is free. Best part is the breakfast. Included in your stay, buffet breakfast in lovely room (also with view of water and outside deck if weather is nice). Food is PHENOMENAL and made on site by "Nora". Also every PM, homemade cookes (by NORA of course!) are ready for you at the desk. Do not plan on losing weight while staying here! ha! ha! Also, they offer free shuttle to/from the downtown area which you probably should use during busy seasons. We were a little off-season, so had no trouble finding parking in town, but could see that it could be a problem. Only negatives are no elevator and they do not have laundry on site, but for a fee will send your laundry out for you if necessary. Great place. Wonderful staff. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you cannot manage stairs, let them know so they can put you on the 2nd floor which is actually gr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you! We are all glad you had such a great time. I think sometimes it can be a toss up between the food and the view! Nora and Kathy both do such a great job. Now the weather is getting cooler and there are even more choices for that "comfort food" time and the employees are loving every minute too! You mentioned an elevator and I am glad we don't have one! If I didn't have to walk that flight of stairs I couldn't try the leftovers! Everyone from the housekeepers to the grounds do a wonderful job and we are so lucky to have them here. Thank you for mentioning them all and thank you for the wonderful review. I hope we get to see you again someday!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We are still trying to find just the right words to describe our visit to Bar Harbor and especially our stay at the Bayview. The Inn’s beautiful views and lovely rooms are just as the ads describe them, but it was every one of the staff members at the Bayview that made our 70th birthday celebration trip nothing less than wonderful! Housekeeping made sure our rooms were in perfect order, the always-ready shuttle van drivers kept us entertained, the kitchen staff’s breakfasts were not only delicious, but beautifully-presented as well. And what can we say about the front desk staff who made us feel special in more ways than we could list … welcoming, friendly, thoughtful, knowledgable, professional. Each of these words rings true, but I think CARING may be the best description. They really do care, and by the time we left, we cared too – about all of them.

Room Tip: Every room has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

I feel especially grateful that you had such a great time. I welcomed you and added five years to the celebration age and you didn't even get mad at me! I think it just means you have to come back again and I will make you five years younger just like that! All of us had a great time with all of you. We laughed with you about the long trip to Campobello and we all enjoyed the chats at the desk. I think it is really kind of you to think about bringing your husbands next time too! We will welcome them into the fold! Thanks for the parting gifts and we will look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

The reason we chose this inn was to not be in the heart of the town and also to be waterfront with a view. It was such a great decision! Not only is the downtown area flooded with "cruisers" but there aren't many waterfront inns. Trish and her entire staff were all amazing and so helpful. The breakfast made by Chef Nora was fantastic everyday and always a hot homemade option in addition to continental options of fruit, homemade breads, cereal, oatmeal and excellent coffee!

One of the biggest selling points to this inn is they have complimentary shuttle service to downtown, which is walkable, but after spending the day hiking, riding bikes in the beautiful Acadia Park on the Carriage Trails, a ride home is welcomed. They take you right to the Village Green where you can pick up the FREE Island Explorer bus service to about anywhere on the island. You will have a great visit.

We had a 3 day package that had boat tour, bus tour, and dinner included and it was all worthwhile and great value!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you! It probably helped that we had such great weather too! The packages are good because they give you a helping hand on learning about this beautiful island and Acadia. The Island Explorer is great for everyone, locals and visitors alike. It really cuts down on the parking headache! I agree wholeheartedly about the breakfast! Nora and her staff do such a nice job. There really is something for everyone and that oatmeal is awesome! Thank you again for staying with us and for all the kind words. We really enjoyed meeting you and being a part of the birthday celebration. Perhaps we will see you again someday to celebrate another one!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with 5 friends at the Bayview. Can't say enough about the accommodations, the view, the homemade, fresh breakfast, but especially the staff--so kind, generous and helpful. We had the best Manhattans made by Harry--the consummate bartender and gentleman. Claire and Jocelyn at the desk were wonderful. Acadia Nat. Park is a perfect place for families, but 6 --over 50 into 60's-- women really enjoyed the park, the Bayview, and the views.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Well, let me start right out with a "right back at you!" Your whole group was as much fun for us as it was for you! Harry, Claire, Jocelyn and all of us enjoyed having you here. Other guests that were here had fun too! We are small enough that we all get to know who is who and it is fun to have our returning guests meet our new guests. The good times just start to roll right through! I am glad that you were able to do all the hiking in the park before it closed but somehow I don't think it would have changed the fun you had, some people just have a great time no matter what! Please come back again!