“Great place, great view, friendly staff”
Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had a lovely room (304) with a great view. The entire staff from the housekeeping crew, the kitchen staff, shuttle drivers and front desk personnel ( Thomas and Jocelyn ) are friendly and very accomodating. The breakfast was perfect with many danish, fresh fruit, cereal and a hot entree every day. Utilize the shuttle service - there was never a wait and the drivers are friendly and knowledgable. I would absolutely recommend this hotel if you are planning a trip to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

We could easily add to your title "Great Guests!" We have had so many wonderful guests this season. There hasn't been a day that there wasn't at least one returning guest in the crowd and many new "to be" returning guests are already booked for next year. Even with the Government shutdown of Acadia our guests remained pleasant and upbeat. In fact, a number of them commented how peaceful and quiet the Park was for walking and biking. (It has reopened as of 3 or so hours ago and the Loop Road will probably be bumper to bumper!) I will pass along the kudos to Jocelyn and Thomas and all of the staff. It was our pleasure to welcome you here and we hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for The Bayview

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This lovely resort was so personal it was like a wonderful bed and breakfast. This resort is alittle older but it is so quaint. After coming from a Double Tree Inn the night before, this place was a welcomed change.They were a "one cookie per quest per visit" hotel ( they kept them in a drawer behind the desk). So we were surprised when The Bayview offered us access to a whole platter of cookies and coffee too! The breakfast here was awesome! For a so called continental breakfast, I have never seen so many choices-and homemade! The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. I think the rooms could stand a little "updating" but it would not stop me from staying here again. This was our first trip to Maine ( we are from Missouri), but we are already talking about coming back somtime and staying here.

Room Tip: we liked staying next to the dining room because it was close to the coffee and the goodies! We thou...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for the very complimentary review! I have decided I need to do a survey about our rooms. Some guests say we need to do some updating but I am not sure what they want updated. We are always buying new bed linens and towels, we have Kuerigs, microwaves, refrigerators, flat screen TV's and so on in the rooms. Guests have written that it is like visiting your grandmother and that is appropriate, I am a Grandmother! I've been here so long it is like home to me! So, if you hear from me this winter (through the contact link on TripAdvisor) please tell me what you would like to see changed. It is very important to me and all that staff that we provide what our guests want. In the meantime, we'll just keep serving the cookies and delicious breakfasts, continue treating our guests like family, make sure we give the best personal service we can and wait until you come back to stay again! Thank you so much for the terrific comments!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We just spent 3 wonderful days at the Bay View in a 2 Queen with sofa bed room. This room was down 2 short flights of stairs and had good views of the water (note you cannot readily walk to the rocky shoreline, but this is Maine after all). The hotel is 1.3 miles to town and approx 2 miles to one of the Acadia Park entrances (although our visit was impacted by the closure). The beds are very comfortable, the bathroom has an optional heated vent (nice on chilly mornings) and the pastries and cookies that arrive at 2pm daily are incredibly good. Coffee and tea are available all day in the dining room. We could hear some folks walking around in the room above us and shower noise in the room next door but frankly it wasnt that bothersome. We did walk to town but it is a long slow incline over very cracked paving with alot of traffic so I would advise taking their courtesy shuttle. We had a rental car and when we ventured out finding a parking spot in the hotel lot was never an issue, however, mind the landmarks to find the entrance at night as traffic on the main road is quite heavy and making a quick turn can be tricky. The staff were wonderful-we are planning to come back again so we can truly enjoy all that Acadia has to offer and the Bayview would be our first choice.

Room Tip: When making a reservation ask for the specifics of the room you are reserving if stairs are an issue...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much! I'm with you. The location is just great. Close, but not too close, to everything. Downtown and Acadia are just a hop, skip and a jump away! The Park has reopened now and the good news is there are still beautiful leaves on the trees. The Island roads are always lovely so we still got to enjoy the colors without driving access into Acadia. You mentioned the cracked pavement on Route 3 and that is slated to be repaired by the state starting next year. I think the walk is really nice to town in the daytime but very difficult at night. I would also like to comment on your comment about the sounds above and around. You were honest in your assessment and that means a lot to me. We are not built of concrete and steel but are instead constructed in many ways like the cottages of old. A wooden structure, situated on a hill with lots of bathrooms and people. We do our best to make the rooms as soundproof as possible but all around us are the sounds of life. We'll keep trying to improve on that! You said you will be back...let us know how we are doing when you return!!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had a large room on the 2nd floor with a view over the bay. There was a small balcony to make the most of the view although it was too cool at this time of year to sit outside and make full use of it. The room was large if a little utilitarian. Well furnished but depressingly decorated, such a pity with a glorious view outside. The bathroom was functional but let down by poor water pressure. The morning view of sunrise was spectacular.

On a more positive note, the staff were excellent, helpful and informative, giving us information on how to access Acadia despite the government shutdown. The hotel does not do dinner but did afternoon cookies and an excellent breakfast. They will also drive you in and out of town, useful as it is a longish walk. We used their service to get into town for dinner but then walked back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you very much for your review of The Bayview. I have finally grasped the fact that it isn't possible to please everyone but we do our best. I have to say it is the first time anyone has ever used the term “depressingly decorated” or said we have poor water pressure. I know everyone has different tastes and preferences and am sorry ours weren’t what you had hoped for. I think we can all agree that the view is spectacular. We have been having some cold mornings and evenings so sitting on the deck may just be too chilly for some. I am glad that the sun has been shining despite the cloud of the Park shutdown. All of our staff enjoys what the island has to offer and we are happy to share our knowledge of the area. We hope you will return again someday!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Rooms were very nice and clean. Morning breakfast was always good. Less than a mile walk into town. The best part is the shuttle van, very accommodating. Quiet rooms, very nice view of bay. Would stay again. stayed in king room in main part of the Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you! I think we do offer a great value for what we have. There are very few hotels directly on the water in Bar Harbor. I believe we are the only one where all rooms have a full face-on view of the water and no matter what end of the building or what floor, every room has a spectacular view! Add that to the delicious breakfast, the complimentary shuttle service,the afternoon cookies and a staff that really does care...priceless! Thank you for staying, we hope to see you again someday.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I chose the Bayview after reviews on trip advisor, and was certainly not disappointed. The accommodations and staff was top notch. The location was perfect, not downtown, but certainly not far from it. You could either walk, or the bayview provided complimentary shuttle service. No worries about parking. I couldn't take my eyes off the view from our 2nd floor balcony overlooking Frenchman's Bay. The morning breakfast was great and included in the price. There was always cookies and other pastries, as well as, fresh picked apples available. Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Definitely request 2nd floor room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you! I am amazed at the number of people that depend on TripAdvisor and am very pleased that we didn't disappoint you!! We know we can't please everyone, but now I think we have enough reviews that people get the gist of who we are and what we offer. Everyone that stays seems to have a favorite floor or room, favorite cookie and favorite breakfast item. I am just glad that even with Acadia closed, our guests are still having a wonderful time! No one can take away our view! Please come back again someday!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom town house in May of 2013 for a week. There were many pluses: the cookies daily, daily housekeeping (although it does start a bit early in the am for vacation people), beautiful townhouse, shuttle to town, spacious and comfortable accommodations, and, of course, the proximity to town ( we walked to Bar Harbor most days) and to Acadia (we could drive to all hikes within a few minutes. The only reason for the 4 star review as opposed t a 5 star is that the townhouse walls are very thin and when there was someone next door it was very evident. We had very young children on one side and they were up and down the stairs (3 stories on either side) and up and down. It was very late and hard to sleep. Luckily, we had ear plugs. The view was just wonderful. The breakfast was really good, we appreciated the fact that they had oatmeal and fruit because baked goods were just too rich for a whole week! The guy who "worked" the breakfast while we were there was very accommodating ( we wanted to sit on the deck one morning when everyone else thought it was too cold, but being from the townhouses we had jackets on so he set our table for us). Wonderful experience, just would have liked to do without the noise of the townhouses next to us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

I had to laugh when I read your review! I could just hear my mother saying, "There is just no accounting for bad behavior!" I wish you had called us about the noise because we could have called the parents and asked them to try and keep it down. The townhouses were originally built to be individual condominiums and I think they worked hard on the soundproofing. We have found that sometimes people need a reminder that there are other people around and other times we have found that some people just don't care who they bother! We do care and I apologize for their lack of consideration. I totally expect and want children to laugh and have fun all day but I also expect children and their parents to respect those around them. I am glad that overall you had a wonderful experience and hope you will come again.