“Lodging as it should be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Lyman, Maine
“Lodging as it should be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Whether you call it attention to detail, a great computer program, or simply an operator who enjoys her chosen path, the Bayview is an experience worth remembering. Other reviewers can talk about the rooms, the view, the special cookies available each afternoon. I want to talk about Trish and her warm smile, friendly manner and her ability to make each guest feel as if his or her comfort is the most important thing in the world.

Answer this: How many hotels have you stayed in once and then, on arriving two years later, had a special welcome back gift for you? My answer is one-The Bayview. Granted, this is probably the result of a good computer program but credit the person running the operation to feel it is as important to welcome previous but infrequent guests as it is to welcome new guests. Warm and welcoming won't make up for deficiencies in cleanliness and upkeep but with a property as spotlessly clean and flawlessly maintained as the Bayview is, this emphasis on viewing the guest as a person to be welcomed and cared for is what makes the Bayview the only choice in Bar Harbor.

For those of you who are Disney Vacation Club members, think of the feeling you get when you arrive and the words "Welcome Home" are said for the first time. While Trish and her crew don't say Welcome Home, their manners, their attitude and their approach all say it in capital letters.

Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Well, from your picture I know just who you are and it might surprise YOU to know, the cat has got my tongue! When you asked me about the old Inn next door I prattled on forever...so me having a lack of words must amaze you! Thank you so much for the great review and all the kind words. It was a pleasure to have you and your family here and it is especially nice when it is familiar faces. I admit we have a guest history in our computer but we always used to do it by memory. Problem with that is my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be! We still do so much here the old fashioned way with paper and pencil (must be why people feel we are dated!) and the staff many times recognizes people before I do so it is a real team effort. I am glad that you had such a nice time. You are right, I love what I do when the guests are as friendly as your family! It was a beautiful weekend, the Marathon runners here made it great fun for us and the grandchildren, well, enough said! Please come back again next season. I have plenty more of the "old days" stories I can share! And we can always talk about the grandchildren!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I spent an enjoyable long weekend at the Bayview. I suppose the Bayview would be best classified as an 'Inn', as it is much bigger than a B&B, yet smaller and quirkier than a typical resort hotel.

This well-maintained property is located on a busy road about a mile and a half from the central part of Bar Harbor. It is a bit too far to walk conveniently, but there is plenty of parking on site and the hotel provides a shuttle car, which we availed ourselves of one night. Otherwise, we just drove ourselves to town, or wherever else we were going. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Our king room was spacious, with a balcony and beautiful view of Frenchman's Bay. Decor was a bit spartan (could have used some vintage photos on the wall, for instance). Bed was comfortable, but my wife found the pillows to be a bit hard. The bathroom soaps were really some of the nicest I have encountered, although for some reason they provided a generic shampoo/conditioner combo.

Breakfast was nice, consisting of fresh-paked pastries and breads, fruit, granola, oatmeal and a revolving selection of egg dishes. The breakfasts fueled us through many hours of hiking and biking each day. The cook is an accomplished baker, and she makes fantastic cookies and other baked treats that are set out at the front desk from 2:00pm on, each day. These treats are very welcome after a day in the park.

I really could not imagine staying in downtown Bar Harbor. Just too many tourists, especially when the cruise ships are in port. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travel_2_Texas
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Ahhh, those cookies. There is truth in the comfort foods of life! Nothing works better on an ache or pain or to just relax than a fresh baked cookie and a warm drink! I am pleased that you found everything to your liking. I wish your wife had asked about her pillow. They are gel pillows and I always thought they were soft, actually bought some for myself. We have others available by special request so we could have made a difference for her if we had known. Our soaps have been a signature since the business first began and the bayberry scent is so refreshing. Your comment about the shampoo/conditioner just makes me smile. We always had the two products and then I started getting comments about how much nicer it would be if the shampoo and conditioner were just one. Go with the flow on the amenities and when the tide turns change it up a bit. We will keep it in mind for next year and see what happens. I really appreciate your very detailed review and am glad you had a nice time! We hope to see you again!
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I chose this hotel from the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor and was extemely pleased with our choice. The location of the room in the hotel was stunning with uninterupted views of the bay. The room had a balcony which we sat on to have coffee both in daytime and at night to view the stars which were very bright.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was very good. Coffee and homemade cakes were provided daily during our stay.
Would strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We had Room 307 on the top floor. This was excellent.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you! I am glad that you were pleased with your decision to stay here. I think there are enough reviews on TripAdvisor now for all sorts of hotels, restaurants etc. so people can find just what they are looking for. A little bit of research goes a long way! You must have been here recently, the weather has been terrific! Now with the leaves turning, the front lawn looks especially nice leading down to the water. The Mountain Ash has bright beautiful berries, the birch leaves have turned yellow and the maple is just starting to turn. Add that to the deep blue water of the bay and it is fantastic! Thank you again for all your positive words and we hope we may see you again someday!
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We chose to stay at the Bayview because of the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, and were not disappointed! This boutique hotel had the perfect blend of charm and comfort. The staff was unbelievably kind and seemed just as excited to have us as we were to be there. The breakfast was first class, with a mouth-watering assortment of homemade baked goods in addition to eggs dishes, oatmeal, fruit, hot cider, coffee, etc. The room was perfect: comfortable bed, stunning views of the water and a private deck. We hope to return to Bar Harbor and will definitely stay at The Bayview!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you very much. Your review was just what the doctor ordered! I didn't have to apologize for anything- just say thank you loud and clear! Yes, we were excited to have you here and yes, we want you to stay again We all thank you for appreciating who and what we are and for sharing your experience with others! Please do come again!
FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

There is no comparison to the view- it's beautiful! However, we stayed in the town house so we didn't get to take advantage of it entirely. But, we still saw the water. We had a balcony which was nice to be able to go out and sit and have our morning coffee in the crisp fall temperatures before we rushed out to start our day. The complimentary breakfast is good and offers several different options. The staff was very friendly. One of the guys working the breakfast area went to the kitchen and had the chef whip up something similar to French vanilla creamer for my step mom who jokingly mentioned she needed her French vanilla creamer. A few moments later he surprised her with it and it was actually very good. I can't remember his name but she made sure to tell the front desk how great his customer service was! There are many pluses: the cookies daily- which we had read about but only got a chance to try only once, daily housekeeping, shuttle to town, the proximity to town. The grounds are nicely manicured. Now, the only negative I would say is, although I can't speak for the rooms in the hotel, the town house is a little dated in decor. I guess for what we paid (October must be one of the peak travel times) I was expecting a little more comparing it to other hotels we've stayed in for around the same price range. BUT, that is a small complaint based on all the positives you experience. The room had two bedrooms (queen size beds) and 2.5 baths, which gave us 3 adult women plenty of our own space. It had a fireplace, which was cozy. It also had 2 portable fans in the closet, which is a nice touch for those, like me, who sleep with a fan on every night! The townhouse setup was different than what I'm used to. The bedrooms were downstairs and the kitchen and living room and 1 half bath were upstairs. Not a complaint, just different than our southern set ups ;) But, when you have heavy luggage it's definitely a plus when you don't have to pack it upstairs to your room! This was the place my stepmom chose and she was not disappointed at all! As far as the noise issues I read about, we didn't experience any problem at all hearing noise from the rooms next door.

2 Thank LeeLee7576
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for the great review too! I'm glad it worked so well for all of you. The reverse floor plan is done for the view. The townhouses sit back from the water about 450 feet so the view from the 2nd floor is better. They built the living area higher for all to enjoy. As you noted, the hotel is 75 feet from the water so height makes no difference in the view. I never gave it much thought about the luggage but you are so right! It is much easier not to carry it all up the stairs but to have a straight shot. As far as updating, we do projects every winter to freshen up all of our rooms. We just keep plugging away and I know one of these days someone will say, "Ah....just right!" Thank you again and a special thank you for your take on the noise level. I really appreciate that!
Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was one of the best surprises of my trip . we stayed on the 3rd floor , king bed , biggest room ever . with a view that was second to none . Where else can you lie in bed see the ocean and then watch a sunrise on your own private balcony? Fresh cookies every day , Breakfast is included , Free Shuttle service to town till 11: 00 PM . The staff at the front desk was the best and most helpfuf ever .

1 Thank CT54
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you and we can't even take the credit! The view is spectacular, the rooms are big and the sunrises have been outstanding. I hope you also saw some of the sunsets this month. Beautiful reds and oranges that just illuminated everything around. We will take credit for the food and the staff though! Please come again and enjoy it all!
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had a lovely room (304) with a great view. The entire staff from the housekeeping crew, the kitchen staff, shuttle drivers and front desk personnel ( Thomas and Jocelyn ) are friendly and very accomodating. The breakfast was perfect with many danish, fresh fruit, cereal and a hot entree every day. Utilize the shuttle service - there was never a wait and the drivers are friendly and knowledgable. I would absolutely recommend this hotel if you are planning a trip to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We could easily add to your title "Great Guests!" We have had so many wonderful guests this season. There hasn't been a day that there wasn't at least one returning guest in the crowd and many new "to be" returning guests are already booked for next year. Even with the Government shutdown of Acadia our guests remained pleasant and upbeat. In fact, a number of them commented how peaceful and quiet the Park was for walking and biking. (It has reopened as of 3 or so hours ago and the Loop Road will probably be bumper to bumper!) I will pass along the kudos to Jocelyn and Thomas and all of the staff. It was our pleasure to welcome you here and we hope to see you again!