“The best thing I've ever ate”
Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Every afternoon some of the best cookies I've ever eaten are unveiled in the lobby of The Bayview. I've eaten cookies all over the country and visited the best bakeries in NYC, following the recommendations of all the food network shows and such and these surpass even those. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff is genuinely friendly and attentive . The continental breakfast is made by the same magician who makes the cookies ....enough said. The view and location can't be beat.... But have I mentioned the cookies....

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank kris4897
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you! I told Nora and Matt right away what you said. (Nora is our head magician and Matt is her assistant and what a team they are!) Being in the lobby every morning is such a challenge. I don't know if you remember those old cartoons where the pie was placed on the windowsill and the aroma traveled like a snake to every one standing close by. It was irresistible! That is what I think about every morning when breakfast is cooking and the cookies are baking. Then to add insult to injury, we have to stand at the Front Desk and smell them all over again every afternoon at 2! Thank you for all the kind words about the staff and the view and the clean rooms too. I have a feeling that we will see you here again someday!

There are newer reviews for The Bayview

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I'm a hotel snob. Big time. I like luxury, and I like everything to be perfect. And I can easily say that no place does it better than The Bayview in Bar Harbor, Maine. This place is absolutely amazing. It's not luxurious in the way we often think about luxury. The rooms aren't fancy. The hotel itself isn't huge or spectacular. But once you are inside this place, you feel better than you ever have in your life. The staff is genuinely kind. The rooms are peaceful and clean. The beds are the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. And the view ... my goodness, the view. Absolutely breathtaking. Do not waste one second on considering another hotel in Bar Harbor. Stay at The Bayview.

2  Thank Brett D
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you! I always get nervous with the “best” word and then I read your review and saw “hotel snob” and thought wow! Kind of brought back that old Sally Field quote, “You like me, you really like me!” Thank you from all of us here for seeing us the way we want to be seen. No acts, no pretentiousness, no lies. We are who we are and we are glad you stayed with us. Peaceful is a great description of our location and our intentions. Hopefully we will see you again very soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed for two wonderful nights and we not disappointed by any means. Price was very reasonable, especially considering the time of year. The room was clean, big with a comfy bed and sofa. Loved the refigerator, keurig, free wifi, and great view from the balcony. I actually made a cup of coffee in the room, something I had never done before. Even so, they have coffee and tea available all day and night in their dining room. The afternoon homemade cookies and sweets (i.e. whoopie pies & cream puffs) were probably my favorite part of our whole stay (so my wife says). The balcony and view was incredible. It was great too because it was quiet and you didn't hear any of the hussle and bussle downtown. The place was relatively full, but we never heard a peep from either room adjacent to us and it never seemed at all crowded. We used the complimentary shuttle for dinner both nights and all of the staff was friendly and very helpful. Harry makes great drinks down at the bar. Breakfast was first class with a hot entree and then oatmeal, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, etc. My only knock was the water pressure in the shower was very poor. You could get piping hot water, but the pressure was weak. Still didn't deter from our stay overall and we will be going back here the next time we come back down to Bar Harbor

Room Tip: Every room has the same great views with a private balcony. However, the king beds are on the top f...
2  Thank ynkhtr19

Thank you! You said it all and then some! It sounds to me like you were ready to relax and enjoy and I am glad that you were able to! I wish I had known about the shower earlier. We now know it was a valve, not that anyone really cares, but you need to know it isn’t the norm. It has now been replaced and our fingers are crossed that is the end of that! Please come back again and see that the pressure is back in the shower and on us too, we want to give a repeat performance on all that was good! The whoopies and cream puffs will be here too. Thank you again!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We spent a very pleasant three days at the Bayview this June. An excellent choice. Here are some details.

Location: 1.2 miles to the West of downtown Bar Harbor and so a very pleasant and easy walk. The hotel is on Route 3 but sited down a small hill, directly on the shore of Frenchmen's Bay, so there is no road noise. (We slept with our patio door open and heard only the sounds of the waves hitting the stone beach, except for one night when a wedding at the resort next door played music until 10:30 PM.) The park entrance is a mile or so further West, so the hotel is situated ideally for both town and park.

Staff: Uniformly pleasant, attentive and well-informed about Acadia and other activities.

Room: Large and comfortable, directly overlooking the Bay and facing north. All the rooms have a southern entrance inside the hotel and face North, with large balconies and plastic chairs. The room was clean, well-furnished, though rather bland, all browns and dark colors. Even though it contained a king-sized bed (very comfortable), queen-sized couch (very ugly), a table and two chairs, cupboard with a Keurig coffee maker, microwave and fridge (no freezer), chest of drawers with TV cabinet on top, side table with bench, there was still plenty of room to move about. It would be nice to have a brighter, more decorated room, perhaps blues and whites, but one does not stay here to spend time in the room, rather for the view, and the adjacent park and town.

Bathroom: Clean and equipped with plastic bath/shower (good water flow), single sink vanity (two sinks would be a nice touch) and bathrobes. Better lighting than provided (2 40 watt chandelier bulbs) would help and I would presume that the local power company would be eager to provide LED lights. Also, taking two feet of space from the bed area to expand the bathroom would allow more than one person to use the bathroom,

Breakfast (included in the room rate): Excellent. Sinfully good pastries, probably the best croissants I have ever had outside of Paris (they import the frozen dough from France), and a wide selection requires a lot of self-control. Hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit, homemade preserves, yogurt, juices (carton, not fresh squeezed), tea, coffee, hot chocolate every day. Each day, the chef prepares a different hot item (we had scrambled eggs, fritatta, and eggs Benedict) and all were good. From 2 PM on, there are cookies and sweets at the front desk and the hot beverages are available all the time in the dining area.

Pool: Across the parking lot and up some stairs. Heated to 80 degrees. It was a bit too cold during our stay to use.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the water but the view is somewhat better on the third, or top, floor.
1  Thank Alexander A

Thank you for the very complimentary and detailed review. It is helpful for us when our guests take the time to tell us what they would like to see and what they thought about The Bayview. Overall, what I consider to be the most important points are the basic points of any good hotel, motel or Inn anywhere. You answered yes to all of them, attentive staff, clean rooms and good food. On top of that you mentioned the spectacular views, guest room amenities and location, all positive too. Interior design and decorating are always subjective so our ideas and yours may not be the same, but if we offer a clean and welcoming environment then we are in agreement. As for the view and the croissants, I am with you totally. I think I could sit on a seaweed and barnacle covered rock and still be happy with that! Thank you again!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Rooms were the cleanest I've ever seen, large and comfortable with water view. Breakfast and Cookies were some of the best pastries I've had. Staff was friendly and available. Pool was clean and HEATED! You will have a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you! I will tell housekeeping what you said right away! They work very hard to make sure the rooms are just right for all of our guests. (Wish they would come and clean my house!) I agree with everything you said and we all appreciate the high praise. Please return again some day, the pool is calling your name! (Helps burn off the pastries too!) Thank you very much!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

All the positive reviews are true. Clean, homey environment with great views. Fabulous breakfast. If you have kids looking for lots of activity, look elsewhere. Otherwise---stay here! Very close to dining and Acadia National Park, but private and quiet. Pool was clean and warm.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank raspberrytea

Thank you! I was going to say thank you for stating that there is truth in the advertising BUT our TripAdvisor reviews are written by our happy (and sometimes not so happy!) guests and that speaks volumes. We have had families that were disappointed by the lack of children's activities on site so we explain Acadia is our playground! We are proud of our hill top pool, rocky coast of Maine shore front, and cookies every day at 2pm!! Who couldn't love that? Thank you for helping us let people know that it is peaceful and quiet and more importantly, thank you for staying with us! Please come back again!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Bayview is an outstanding hotel in Bar Harbor. The rooms are large and we had a private deck with an ocean view. Perhaps the best part about the Bayview is the service. They have a hotel car that they will use to drive you into Bar Harbor, which we took ample advantage for dinner in town. I travel extensively for business and stay in lots of hotels. The breakfast is excellent, and they had Kreuig coffee & ample teas stocked in our rooms. Overall, the Bayview is excellent and the service completes with some of the best high end hotels in the world. If you are traveling to Bar Harbor, I'd strongly suggest you stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you so much for the great review. The word "outstanding" is a tough act to follow but we certainly do try. I think you, like so many of our repeat guests really feel that service is our hallmark. Breakfast is more like a meet and greet than a hotel dining room, everyone walks out with a smile! Maybe you will become one of the repeats and trust me, we will treat you the same every time! I agree totally about the shuttle service. It is so much more relaxing and enjoyable when you can be looking at the scenery instead of searching for parking. Thank you again and please come back!