“Awesome”
Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I loved everything about this place. The people were kind, the food was great, the rooms were spotless, and the view was to die for. It is close to Bar Harbor, although I don't believe in walking distance, but is quiet.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 53Jane2014
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Wonderful review! I agree with you about the people, the food, the rooms and the view. The walk into town is always a matter of preference. There are days I think it is lovely, and there are days I think no way! Either way, thank you so much! I also wanted to tell you about the view this morning around 5:30 am and I am not trying to rub it in! There was a huge fog bank across the bay and a single fishing boat with his lights on passing through the fog. It was spectacular and a bit eerie too! I hope you will come back someday and thank you again!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Absolutely brilliant hotel. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the bay and the view as superb. Room was large, comfortable and very tidy. Breakfast was superb and could be taken out on the balcony of the dining room. Free coffee and cookies were available throughout the day. We did have a minor issue with guests next door to us, but this was resolved to our satisfaction by the very helpful and polite staff. The Bayview's own literature under sells this wonderful hotel. We hope to visit again one day!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheDominie

Thank you for the great review! I admit we do tend to undersell ourselves in some ways but for all the right reasons! We would rather “wow” a guest when they arrive instead of a “whoa” this isn’t what we thought it would be! Expectations are a very personal thing – we just want people to enjoy themselves and I am glad you did! I would also like to apologize again for the incident with your neighbors. A house full of strangers can sometimes be tricky, but when our guests are people like you it is a win-win for all! Thank you again and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I have been visiting Bar Harbor for 4 of the last 6 years. We have stayed at the Bayview every time because of it's consistant service, hospitality and home like feel. What a great group they have working there from the cleaning staff to the front desk staff. The manager Trish even takes the time to recognize frequent visiters with special little tokens of gratitude for being a long time loyal customer. We will continue to stay there on out next trips there. Simply wonderful experiece.
OH, and I forgot to mention the world famous COOKIES @ 2:30 everyday!

Room Tip: All the rooms offer ocean front viewing w/ balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bladely
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you very much! We aim to be consistent in all areas so you can be sure of what to expect when you get here! Wish we could do the same with the weather! It is so nice for all of us here to have so many guests return. I know we aren’t supposed to get personal on TripAdvisor but it is personal to us and guests that return are now our friends and we look forward to seeing you all year after year. It is especially nice when our returning guests write reviews because you have seen us be “consistent” and not putting on a show. We are who we are! Please keep coming back and we’ll keep Nora and Matt baking those cookies! Still won’t be able to control the weather but we will do our best. Thank you again!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had originally wanted to get a room closer to Bar Harbor's downtown area, but boy am I glad I didn't! Located close to the entrance of Acadia National Park, the main reason for our three-day visit, The Bayview feels like a family-run business, combining the best of a hotel and a B&B into one fabulous stay.

It has everything you are looking for. You know you are in for a treat when you walk in the door (and are greeted by fresh cookies!). We had a gigantic room on the second floor with an amazing view of the water. The staff was super friendly and the breakfasts fresh and tasty. And don't miss a chance to stop by for cocktails from 5-7...the bartender is a lot of fun to chat with! And as for proximity to Bar Harbor...at a mile or so away, you could walk it. Or you could take the free shuttle the hotel offers. They will drop you off when and where you want and pick you up when you call.

Really, the stay could not have been better.

2  Thank Noostie0831

And my response? We couldn’t have enjoyed your visit more! It is so nice reading a positive review of our location. I think it is just right, close but not too close! Then the staff comment, well, I have said it before and I will say it again, the staff is like family to us! We just aren’t all related! Every day at work feels almost like home. The food is truly wonderful (and nothing like my home since I don’t like to cook!) and the views are spectacular. I’ve noticed more people this year just relaxing and taking it all in. Our bar isn’t a “hopping place” but a comfortable respite from the crowds and hubbub of downtown. I’m so glad you joined us and we look forward to your return! Thank you again!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We look for location, cleanliness, friendliness of staff and fair pricing. Bayview garnered 5 stars for every category! Staff was always helpful with information on hiking locations, restaurants, driving directions. As we were hiking everyday it was most beneficial to have an Acadia Park Ranger on staff to give expert instruction on trails. The manager is a longtime resident of the island and shared local knowledge and history that made us feel right at home. Our room had a fabulous view of Frenchman Bay. We could enjoy morning coffee on our private balcony and watch the sun rise, It was so pleasant that we ate dinner on the balcony one night too. The Bayview is within walking distance to the village of Bar Harbor which was very convenient. But they also offer a free shuttle ride if you would prefer. Very nice indeed. The big surprise was the tasty home cooked breakfast buffet served every morning. A vast array of fresh fruit, home baked pastries, 2 surprise casseroles in a chafing dish tempted us to over indulge! In addition, fresh baked cookies and treats greeted us in the afternoon. Fresh pots of coffee and tea were self served 24 hrs a day! In truth we hated to leave and will certainly return one day. Thanks to all that helped make our vacation perfect!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room there. Ours was on floor 2 with a balcony where you could sit...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SusieH771
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you! We are so pleased you had the perfect vacation and we helped! We know that we don’t always meet the expectations of some travelers so when we exceed the expectations for others we are really happy! I’m glad that I didn’t bore you with the history too. Sometimes I just get carried away – we do have a fascinating history and I enjoy passing on the stories that I heard growing up here on the island. Also, one comment I REALLY appreciate and must address, “The Bayview is within walking distance to the village of Bar Harbor." I totally agree and yes, it is a beautiful and interesting walk. Not for everyone I realize but definitely pleasant ! So, from all of us here, a big thank you to you and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here three nights over 4th of July Holiday. Was here for just one night two years ago and vowed to come back for longer stay. Made reservations in July and management were able to reserve the same room for us, #303. Great room, clean, large, and wonderful unobstructed view of Frenchman's Bay. Staff are all outstanding. Fresh homemade goods at 3:00 each day are terrific. Different choices each day. The brownies were my favorite! Breakfast again was delicious each morning. Bar Harbor 4th of July parade was very enjoyable, and problem with stay is deciding which of the many wonderful restaurants to eat at each day. Down 'Easter Lobster pound was our choice for dinner. Cheap jumbo lobsters without a long wait. Other places were packed. There was a North Carolina BBQ/Lobster Pound a little farther down road that was Awesome. Lobster Roll and Pulled Pork BBQ. Our best Lunch! Will want to come back to this same hotel again, maybe in 2016. Only suggestion I can request if for a Loveseat Sofa in 303, and some type of stair/walkway allowing guests down onto "beach" area when it is low tide. If you want to get down there now, you have to walk a couple of blocks up to the dock area to get access down onto the rocky beach. This place deserves it's #1 rating on Tripadvisor!

1  Thank DavidS050

Thank you so much for the great review. It was a terrific 4th of July in Bar Harbor this year and thank goodness for that! Even the fireworks in the rain were wonderful! The 5th brought a hurricane and downed trees and no power! I know who you are by the description you wrote and know you left on the 5th and missed out on the fun! We spent the entire day in the dark with coffee and breakfast and some check-outs and check -ins done the real old fashioned way, paper and pencil! Nora baked with a disclaimer and labeled all the cookies flashlight cookies! I think your suggestions are very good ones and will certainly look into both of them. The steps to the shore are always an issue because of restrictions but we may be able to do something seasonally instead of trying to do a permanent installation. I also like the loveseat suggestion. The view is so wonderful and to lounge on a sofa and look out the door sounds very nice (especially if we have another hurricane!)! Thank you again for the kind words and for returning. We will watch for you in 2016!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I tend to do a lot of research before I book a hotel. We travelled in July 2014. I could not have been more pleased with our stay at Bayview. The atmosphere was pleasant and everyone was welcoming. The staff even opened the door for us every time we left. We enjoyed how quiet and peaceful the hotel was, we felt like we could really relax. The continental breakfast was great - variety and gourmet. Attendants took your plates and it felt like we were in a restaurant. There was enough food to last you well into lunch. The room (very spacious) and bathroom was very clean - zero issues. The view from the balcony was nice, overlooking the bay. Here's what really made the difference for us. For anyone that does not know the area or have a set agenda, the Bayview staff at the front desk were awesome. We received restaurant tips and to-do tips. Each place they recommended that we went to was great. The hotel staff booked dining reservations and coordinated events for us. What also sets Bayview apart is that they have a free shuttle service. Downtown Bar Harbor is packed so to drive and attempt to find parking would be difficult during the busy season. The shuttle was awesome, dropped us off and picked us up from our exact location. In summary, if you want a great place to stay, Bayview is the top choice!

1  Thank schlobes
Trish04609, Manager at The Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

The very first line of your review was proof positive that TripAdvisor does work if you read the reviews and the responses! Thank you for that! Taking the time to research before you came left no doubt in your mind what you were getting. Oceanfront hotel, three stories high, first floor family rooms, second floor double rooms, third floor king rooms, no elevator, one flight of stairs down to access first floor and one flight up to third. 75 feet from the water. Two and three bedroom town homes 475 feet from the water with views. Delicious food, free shuttle and help! You have probably noticed just by doing research that I love to talk, whether in person or in responses and the same goes for the rest of the staff. We ask questions so we have the latest word on local restaurants, we hike and tour on our days off, we live and work on the island or close by so we do know things that aren’t often listed in local guidebooks. We actually all like where we work, who we work with and all the people that we meet. Bar Harbor can be extremely busy in the summer so if we can make it just a little bit easier for someone to relax and enjoy this beautiful area then we will do it! Thank you again for the review and for allowing me the opportunity to explain just who we are to those who might be researching now! Please come back again!