“Return to the Bayview - A Wonderful Stay”
Review of The Bayview

The Bayview
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We had stayed at the Bayview a few years back and returned for another visit this past Memorial Day weekend. We were not disappointed. It is a wonderful place to stay. The staff treat you like family. The rooms had been remodeled since our last stay and are very comfortable. I wanted to take the bed home with me as it was the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. The continental breakfast is expansive including both hot and cold options. And the afternoon cookies are still a great treat. The weather was spectacular and the views from the balcony of the rooms are impressive. We recommend the Bayview to any of our friends traveling to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 May 2009

My husband and I along with our friends recently spent the Memorial Day week-end at the Bayview to celebrate our anniversary. Our experience was wonderful. Our king sized room was on the third floor and the view from our balcony can only be described as "million dollar view". The room was very clean and bright. We even had champagne delivered to our room with a card congratulating us on our anniversary!!! The entire staff was so helpful and nice!
We took advantage of the special that is offered on their website and it was an incredible value! Not only did you get a wonderful room but a great breakfast with a great view of the ocean!
We are excited about booking another trip-I would highly recommend this hotel to any visitor to Bar Harbor.

M. Hanchett
Milford, MA

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I just returned from a 3 night stay at a 3 bedroom townhouse at the Bayview. After reading spectacular reviews here, i have to say I was quite disappointed. The three bedroom townhouse was truly a very good deal - 3 separate bedrooms, one of which (the loft) had two double beds and two trundle beds. It had a reasonably nice deck, along with a living room and full kitchen, and even laundry. But the decor throughout, especially in the bedrooms, looked about 20 years old and was of truly questionable quality. The bedspreads were a toxic floral mess and the bedroom furniture was just not nice at all. The beds weren't great, either - nothing horrible, but they felt much more like a 2 star (Comfort Inn or so) than a nice hotel's mattress and bedding.

Not to be rude-- I've spent lots of nights in budget hotels for work and play, and have no problem with it - but don't expect anything approaching a 5 star experience.

It's quite possible that the rooms in the hotel proper are much nicer - I couldn't tell you. This review applies to the townhouse alone.

The living room was more respectable - small TV, couch, rocking chair - accented with a gold-and silver mirrored clock and pillars that look right out of vegas.

Service was respectable - decent cookies every afternoon, and a friendly check in (although we did get some very bad advice about where to go in the park- a young employee told me it would be wise to take my 60+ parents on a trail (The Beehive) which involves climing up small iron ladder rungs up a sheer rock face).

Breakfast was ok, but nothing to write home about -- boxed cereals, banana bread, oily coffee cake, pretty good oatmeal, and very dry blueberry pancakes. It may be that it's just early in the season, but the 'daily hot dishes' other travellers have been mentioning on tripadvisor weren't available to us in mid-may.

With so many nice hotels in Bar Harbor, I'd probably recommend against visiting the Bayview townhouses- unless you've got a large group of friends (or a huge family) and can make use of all the extra beds.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mrbubs
Reviewed 25 May 2009

The Bayview hotel was awesome!!!! Walking distance to downtown Bar Harbor, a short car ride to Acadia National Park. Wonderful, helpful staff, great breakfast, beautiful clean rooms, hot coffee any time of the day and night!! I loved my stay here and would highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2008

My husband and I chose the Bayview for our anniversary getaway based on the reviews we read on this site. The customer service was excellent from the phone call for booking to the moment we loaded our car to go to the airport. When we booked the hotel they didn't have a king room available, so we booked a double room. My husband commented that we would rather have a king room since this was our 18th anniversary. The man who helped him with the booking called us back to inform us that he had secured a king room for us at no extra charge. When we got to our room there was a split of champagne on ice and a lovely card expressing best wishes for our anniversary!

The front desk was always staffed and we were greeted in a sincere and friendly way every time we passed it.

The breakfast was great, with a new hot dish every day and informative and personable staff.

The room was enormous, spotlessly clean and had a fabulous view of the bay, of course!

The location is a mile from town, just a good stretch of the legs away from any restaurants and shopping you could want.

All in all, a very positive hotel experience. It's difficult to find the level of customer service we enjoyed at the Bayview in this indifferent day and age. We will definitely be back !

And yes, the cookies were delicious!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank betsytrot
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We got married on Sunday October 12, 2008 in Northeast Harbor, Maine and it was a destination wedding. We wanted a spectacular place for us to stay in Bar Harbor a few days before the wedding and the wedding night, as well as, an excellent place for many of our guests to stay too. We had the best experience at the Bayview. Our hotel room on the 3rd floor had the best view! The rooms were very clean and spacious too. The townhomes were perfect for our guests with families. They were so spacious and so New England. We wanted a place filled with charm and the Bayview totally had that and more! The breakfast was excellent each day. We were there for a total of 4 days straight and there was a new hot breakfast item each day. The coffee was great too. The shuttle service, which is free, was great. We had rides into downtown and back. They even picked up our shopping bags and groceries for us! For myself and my new husband, they left a great bottle of champagne and a really nice card congratulating us on our marriage. Everyone was so nice, patient (a bride to be can be a bit difficult), and so accomodating. We can't wait to visit again! I would totally recommend the Bayview to everyone I know!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank newmainebride
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Four of us just came back from a wonderful three nights stay at The Bayview. We stayed in the regular hotel room on the first floor, with two double beds and a pull out sofa. The room was very spacious, with a fridge and balcony. Everything in the bathroom was sparkling clean, with basic toiletries like shampoo, lotion, shower cap, hand and body soap bars. The beds were a little on the soft side, but I have no complaints about it. We were given a number of brochures and pamphlets and a local map during check-in. After settling down, we decided to explore downtown and also grab a bite. When we passed by the front desk, we casually asked the lady there about a restaurant called Poor Boy’s. She said it was good and called the restaurants for us right away to make sure that we would not need to wait for a table without us asking her to do so. You can rarely find this kind of service even with a lot of the 4 or 5 stars hotel. By that time, I was very impressed by this hotel already, less than an hour after checking in!

They served free “continental breakfast” every morning in an elegantly decorated dinning room. There was a great selection of boxed cereals, bagels, bread, breakfast pastries, waffles, yogurt, fruits, and juices. The hot item changed everyday – eggs benedicts (YUM!!!), blueberry pancakes, spinach & mushroom quiche, ham & cheddar quiche, scramble eggs, during our stays. The lady who worked there was extremely nice and helpful. She came to each table to introduce herself and answered any questions that we might have. It was definitely a very nice way to start a day! There was a bar area in the back of the dinning room as well. However, since it only opens until 8pm, we didn’t get a chance to grab a drink there.

Housekeeping was excellent also. Since there were four of us in the room, we got extra towels and toiletries everyday (again, without asking for it). We didn’t ask for wine glasses but I assume since they saw us having two bottles of wine on the table, the glasses were brought to our room during housekeeping (where would you be able to find such a detail-oriented staffs nowadays?).

Location was great also. It’s 1.5 mile from the Hulls Cove Visitor Center, and 1.5 mile the other way to downtown Bar Harbor. We did not take advantage of the free shuttle though. We love the ocean view, and the CAT didn’t bother us at all. We were all already up and ready to go out by the time the ferry was heading out.

Bayview might not be categorized as a 5-star hotel. However, it is definitely more than 5 stars in my heart. I highly recommend this place, and definitely will stay there again next time when I visit.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends