“Our kind of Hotel! Absolutely Loved it!”

Cromwell Harbor Motel
Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 17 August 2007

While in Bar Harbor for 3 days my sister and I stayed at the Cromwell Harbor Hotel on July 13 & 14 (Fri/Sat). This place was perfect for us; 5 stars! It is a “no frills, mom and pop” operation and we loved it! The location was excellent; on Main Street within walking distance to dining, shopping and the ocean; 20 min walk to the town pier (farthest point downtown). But it is super quiet because a) it is back away from the street and b) it is at the end of all the hustle and bustle of downtown. The ice machine is up at the front desk and the room had a coffee maker. We also requested a room with a microwave and fridge and both were ready and in working order when we arrived. Our room was on the first floor of the lone two story building which appeared to have 8 units; 4 on ground, 4 on second. There were two other buildings which were only 1 story each. Note: There is no elevator so if you opt for a 2nd floor room, you will have to haul your stuff up one story. The room and bathroom were very spacious and sparkling clean. The shower pressure was great! The accommodations and furnishings were nothing fancy but clean, in good condition and working order. The beds, pillows and linens were comfortable and we slept wonderfully. The TV had the full range of cable channels which we appreciated because we enjoy watching Comedy Central and the Food Network at night. Each unit has either a patio or balcony with seating accommodations; very nice at night. I did not see any internet access either in the room or front desk but that was just fine for us because the office had an abundance of area info we found very helpful. The grounds were clean, well kept and the outdoor pool was crystal clear and clean. Though we did not find time to use the pool, we stuck our hands in to test the temperature and it was definitely heated and we witnessed many people using it. The front desk staff were amazing! I think it’s a husband and wife who run the place because when I went to the front desk for some help, the nice lady said, “Let me get my husband to help you.” I also saw her later attending to the plants and flowers on the hotel’s grounds. I just cannot say enough good things about this place! Plus, it’s a great value; we paid $115.56 per night with our AAA discount and in Bar Harbor that is cheap! But if you want room service, a business center, internet access, bell staff, “luxury” accommodations, turn down service, mints on your pillows, etc, stay elsewhere and drop a lot more money per night.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank ttiottn1

Reviewed 17 August 2007

They honored my reservation, but not my cancellation. Dont trust them.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank rotchen
Reviewed 7 August 2007

The Cromwell Harbor Motel is a very clean motel with good rates. The room we had was in the older section but it was well looked after. The room was a little small but good just for the two of us.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 June 2007

My husband and I just stayed at the Cromwell Harbor Motel. We had one of the rooms with the double queen beds, fridge and microwave down near the pool. It was slightly more expensive but we would definitely book the same room again. The room was very clean and tidy as were the motel grounds. The rooms are not fancy but are comfortable with a small porch to sit outside. We had lovely swims in the pool, which was immaculately clean with lots of lounge chairs to get some sun. We were just a small walk to the centre of Bar Harbors great shops and restaurants. This small distance of walking made the motel, when we returned, nice and quiet away from the bussle of all the activity. We will definitely stay there if we are in the area again and will recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RobinsonsNS
Reviewed 27 August 2006

I've stayed at the Cromwell Harbor twice. It is a basic clean hotel with some nice amenities - the heated pool is clean, and the water is the perfect temperature. In Maine, heated pools are a must! There are porches and balconies in front of most rooms, with comfortable chairs making them an ideal place to relax with a snack and a glass of wine after exploring Acadia. And the owners must love gardening because there are colorful flowers planted everywhere. All BH shops and restaurants are accessible on foot.

Don't let the fact that ti is on Rte.3 scare you away, most rooms are set back from the road, and there is a wall and courtyard in front. All BH shops and restaurants are accessible on foot.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank RDfromPA
Reviewed 25 June 2006

My friends and I had 4 rooms for 4 nights at the Cromwell Harbor Motel in Bar Harbor. [--]
All of our rooms had refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, air conditioning and ceiling fans. There are chairs outside each room to enjoy the fresh air, a swimming pool and lovely flowerbeds. There was plenty of free parking so we were able to leave our cars there and walk to restaurants and shops in downtown Bar Harbor. Rooms were clean and cute at the quiet end of Main St. nearst Acadia Natl Park.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank giggleshanks
Reviewed 25 August 2005

I was crossing on the ferry between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth and I wanted a place to stay that was cheap the night before as I had to arrive at the ferry at 7 AM. In Bar Harbor, they don't do cheap. This place cost $128 per night, and it's more or less a dinky mom-and-pop motor lodge that stands in the shadow of some luxurious (and ridiculously expensive) resort-style places in town. It's about 10 or so minutes from "downtown" Bar Harbor if you're walking.

Pros: One of the cheapest places to stay in town, although that's not saying that it's cheap. Rooms are absolutely spotless. Close to activities in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Screen doors (!!) on all the rooms. Mom-and-Pop business. Extensive cable selection.

Cons: Rooms vary, but in my room, toilet was cramped in between the wall and the bathtub. No desk staff after 11 PM. Again just in my room, one window would not close all the way, rendering the locks on the window useless.

• Stayed: August 2005