I often find that hotel reviews that criticize the hotel service are not very useful but in the case of the Harborside Hotel they are worth considering. The hotel is in a prime waterfront location in Bar Harbor and it certainly has some of the nicest accomodations yet the hotel rating is low because of service issues at the hotel.
The first service issue that really irritated me was the attempt by the staff to palm off a harbor view room for the price of the oceanfront room I booked. When I pointed out to them that the room was not the correct room type they gave me an upgraded oceanfront room (add a couch) then acted like they were doing me a favor.
The second issue impacted our stay much more. We had to complain each day about people smoking on the balcony. The property is smoke free and the staff did nothing to stop the smoking from happening. Upon check out the manager said that they would charge the smokers a fee but I have no way to know if they really did it. Either way, we lost with the smoky air and stress of the situation.
Aside from the service issues, the rooms are very nice and the balcony we had on the oceanfront side was fantastic. I would have liked the balcony dividers to have been all the way to the ceiling but if the neighboors had behaved themselves better it wouldn't have been a big deal. The room lacked a few things like a refrigerator but in general the beds were superb, the bathroom was full of marble and granite and the room was very clean. Many rooms were being upgraded to flat screen TVs during our stay (our room already had one). The waterfront views and landscaped grounds were fabulous.
We opted for the breakfast package which was a good deal for a very good meal. We were charged $10 for two people then we spent about $10 more for taxes and gratuity. Our bill was over $40 so we paid half of the walk in price.
I would love to return to this hotel in the future but I would need to read better reviews about the service before I consider it. The hotel is not cheap but it would be worth the price if the service improved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in downtown Bar Harbor at the ocean's edge; near Acadia National Park; breathtaking view of Frenchman's Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Harborside Hotel & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harborside Hotel & Marina Bar Harbor, Maine
- Harborside Hotel And Marina