“Great hotel but major service issues”

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel but major service issues”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I often find that hotel reviews that criticize the hotel service are not very useful but in the case of the Harborside Hotel they are worth considering. The hotel is in a prime waterfront location in Bar Harbor and it certainly has some of the nicest accomodations yet the hotel rating is low because of service issues at the hotel.

The first service issue that really irritated me was the attempt by the staff to palm off a harbor view room for the price of the oceanfront room I booked. When I pointed out to them that the room was not the correct room type they gave me an upgraded oceanfront room (add a couch) then acted like they were doing me a favor.

The second issue impacted our stay much more. We had to complain each day about people smoking on the balcony. The property is smoke free and the staff did nothing to stop the smoking from happening. Upon check out the manager said that they would charge the smokers a fee but I have no way to know if they really did it. Either way, we lost with the smoky air and stress of the situation.

Aside from the service issues, the rooms are very nice and the balcony we had on the oceanfront side was fantastic. I would have liked the balcony dividers to have been all the way to the ceiling but if the neighboors had behaved themselves better it wouldn't have been a big deal. The room lacked a few things like a refrigerator but in general the beds were superb, the bathroom was full of marble and granite and the room was very clean. Many rooms were being upgraded to flat screen TVs during our stay (our room already had one). The waterfront views and landscaped grounds were fabulous.

We opted for the breakfast package which was a good deal for a very good meal. We were charged $10 for two people then we spent about $10 more for taxes and gratuity. Our bill was over $40 so we paid half of the walk in price.

I would love to return to this hotel in the future but I would need to read better reviews about the service before I consider it. The hotel is not cheap but it would be worth the price if the service improved.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Timothy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I was supposed to check in on a Friday and stay for 5 nights, but my flight was cancelled late Friday afternoon and I was unable to get to Bar Harbor. I called in a panic, worried that I would be charged for the room since it was too late to cancel. I shouldn't have worried, the staff in reservations were very understanding and told me they would be looking forward to seeing me and my daughter on Saturday. When I arrived on Saturday (without my daughter as her flight was delayed again), management actually walked me to my room to make sure that it met with my approval. What a fabulous view of the pool and harbor! Prior to driving back to Bangor to pick up my daughter, I went downstairs and sat at the bar to get a quick bite (figuring that would be easier and quicker than a table in the restaurant). David, the bartender, was extremely helpful and made super recommendations. When I asked for a coke to take on the road to drive to Bangor, the guys at the door (thanks, Elliott!) made sure that I wasn't trying to drivdrink and drive! :) My daughter and I had a wonderful time. The food at the hotel restaurant is excellent (kudo's to Andy!) and room service was awesome. We had the Out and About package, which includes a free Whale Watch tour, 2 free dinners (the one at Stewman's was exceptional!), and a free gourmet breakfast every morning. We met lots of great people from Florida, and everyone was cheerful, helpful, and caring. We also tried the spa and found our treatments to be relaxing and fun. Thanks to all of the staff at Harborside for making our stay such a delightful one! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Get there a little earlier than the listed time; you'll have more room choices. Ask about the b...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Canton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We arrived at exactly 4 (checkin) and were told that our room had been given away to a walkup customer. We had booked a 5 night stay and were amazed that on the first night that we could not stay in our room oceanside with a hot tub. We had driven 8 hours so we were looking forward to a good soak and a nice meal int he restaurant. Instead we were given a downgraded room and were pissed. We settled on room service and moved into our room the next day but the vacation had been soured. We did not eat in the restaurant, did not shop int he gift shop or go to the spa. Instead we gave our money to the nice people of Bar Harbor. The staff should be sent to Disney to learn how a true resort should be run, especially the Valley girls at the front desk.

Room 967 and room 1057

5 Thank jeffclardy2006
mickey63c
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Harborside Hotel for the 4th of July weekend. We almost changed our reservations because of the poor reviews on Trip Advisor. I am so glad we did not. The hotel was wonderful - great location - quick walk to town - quick drive to Acadia Natl Park. The pools at the hotel were great especially the pool at the Bar Harbor Club not to mention the wonderful bartenders at the club. They were the two hardest working men - their goal was too keep everyone happy with food and drink.
Thanks to staff at the Harborside for making our weekend very special. Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mickey63c
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We just finished a week-long vacation in Bar Harbor and stayed at Harborside for the first time. The hotel is still somewhat new and clearly are working out some kinks. The General Manager was very helpful when our room was lacking the desired balcony, with a nicer, if smaller room.

The top ratings go to the Bar Harbor Club and the staff that provide for their guests with smiles and good service. A huge thank you to Daniel and Matt for their hospitality, and for Ross' constant vigil over the needs of his guests.

We will certainly recommend Harborside to our friends and hope that the management continues to refine this fine hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Stoph61
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Harborside for 4 nights the end of June. We surprised when we got there and had an upgraded room that we did not request and did not pay for. I reserved a standard view but ended up with a beautiful harbor view. The room was spacious and nicely appointed. I did go for the breakfast option and I have to say we enjoyed every breakfast and they have wonderful coffee. The location is great and we were able to enjoy the resort some. I would say that I think they should offer the resort as option. We felt compelled to use it only because we were being charged. It was a very nice space though. The staff was very helpful and nice.

The weather was not the best and are already talking about going back again and I'm sure we will include the Harborside in our plans.

1 Thank yurko67
Manchester Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We have made many trips to Bar Harbor and have stayed at a different place each time. Decided to book room at Harborside...Best move I ever made. The staff were outstanding from the door attendant to the pizza chef. Rooms were immaculate, ready ahead of time,
and totally comfortable.Front desk staff made us feel like they really wanted us to stay there.Location is best in Bar Harbor. No need to look for parking in town. We will book all our future stays at the Harborside.I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Book online
1 Thank joeandarlene