“An Honest Opinion”

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This might be long, but well worth the read - My husband and I traveled in Early September for a 3 night stay (Thursday - Sunday) at the Harborside. I do exstensive research before traveling anywhere and to be honest, the reivews on this site scared me. I seriously tried to change my reservation more than once to another Hotel because of what I read. I'm so happy that every other Hotel was booked because our stay at the Harborside was wonderful.

I do have one very IMPORTANT suggestion for anyone traveling to this Hotel. I booked in March through the Harborside website. I booked a "Deluxe Ocean Front" room which was verified through my email confirmation. In late August, I went directly to the Harborside website and put in my confirmation number to double check on my reservation - again - nerves from online posts had the best of me. I noticed that my room now read "Deluxe Habor View". RED FLAG!!!! I immediately called and spoke first to a reservation agent who was no help. She put me on with her manager, who insisted that "Ocean Front" and "Harbor View" were the same room type, the same location and view the exact same thing. She was rather rude with her customer service. I asked her to email me a confirmation that even through the new wording read "Harbor View" I would still have "Ocean Front" per my confirmation. She would not do this for me. Another RED FLAG!!!! I then called the Tuesday before we left for our trip to confirm again which room type we had. Daryl, in reservations, confirmed I had a "Harbor View" which was the same as "Ocean Front." Daryl was great and put my mind at rest; however, upon check in Daryl was very wrong. Here is what saved me from getting the Bait and Switch...because that's exactly what would have happend....on the Harborside website...there is a map of the property with each room type laid out in a different color. I took that map with me to check in. When we checked in, the Front Desk Agent tried to put us in a "Harbor View" room. Clearly not an "Ocean Front" room from what is listed on their map. I showed her my confirmation, the map and insisted on an "Ocean Front" room that was outlined on the Hotel map. After a few minutes of push back, she did put us in the room we booked and paid for. PLEASE take a map with you. I do believe the Hotel will have you pay for an "Ocean Front" room at a premium price, then switch you to a "Harbor View' room and upsell the Ocean Front to someone else. I work in the business, I'm not stupid :o)

Once the room worked out, the rest of the trip was wonderful. We spoke with the concierage, who was friendly, wonderful, helpful and easy to talk to. Great maps of the area to use during your stay.

We booked the breakfast package so we ate 3 times in restaurant and enjoyed each day. We thought the coffee was amazing...not sure what it was about the coffee! The service was impressive. Never a wait and always a smile when greeted within 20 seconds of our arrival. If you want to explore the island for breakfast, absolutely do it, as there are so many options. We wanted to get early starts, so the $10/person extra it costs for the breakfast package was well worth it...each entree started at $11!

The room was exactly what we paid for. King Bed, sitting area, small bathroom, but beautiful balcony with amazing views of the Ocean. The room was clean and up to date (Room 2069). No wierd smells as noted in other posts, no rips or stains in the carpet. It was perfectly plain and comfortable. The bed was wonderful. The Housekeeping staff was fantastic. friendly in the hallways, adheared to the "Shhhh" sign we hung on our doorknob. Not a single complaint.

We used the Spa for massages and a mani/pedi. Wonderful massage from Anita and a beautiful spa. Very clean, modern and relaxing. And easy to get to (across the parking lot). Not cheap, but nothing at a Spa ever is and prices ran accordingly with other spa's we have visited.

I would suggest this Hotel to friends and family. I would again stress that if we had gotten the old bait and switch, I would have another opinion because nothing is worse than dishonesty. Because they redeemed themselves at check-in, I would stay with them again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Before booking, use the Hotel map as a guide to see where your room will be located at the Hotel. T...
6  Thank soccergal_34

Reviewed 16 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Harborside Hotel for two nights at the beginning of August, 2011. We were a little hesitant to book this hotel because of the relatively low ranking on TripAdvisor, but because of the location, we decided to take a chance. Are we ever glad we did!!

The property is at the perfect location in Bar Harbor--convenient to the main street, and right next to where all the boat tours depart. Our room was spacious and well-appointed. It overlooked the harbor....The grounds of the Harborside Hotel and incredibly beautiful--flowers everywhere...!

Service was efficient, and everyone was very polite.

We did not eat at the Harborside Hotel during our visit, but I did order room service breakfast one morning. It was reasonably priced and delcious--mascarpone-filled French toast. Delicious.

Yes, it is a pricey hotel--but then again, most of the other hotels are also.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Harborside Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool look to be perfect--you get a view not only of the pool but also of t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Everything was perfect about this hotel. Best location, great service, and fantastic amenities well worth the $25 fee. Being able to use the Bar Harbor Club was priceless, it was fun to learn the history of this club. The bartender Daniel provided the best service we have seen. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I was a little skeptical after reading some of these reviews,but im glad i stayed here.its a beautiful hotel and the staff was really,really nice. F.Y.I make sure your booking an ocean view room(which costs more) and youll fall in love with the view. i walked in to a very nice,clean room with a super comfy bed and was impressed.Then i opened the blinds to the balcony and was blown away by the view!!!!! i had a room on the lower level which ended up being the best room because i could walk right out the sliding door to the sea wall 10 feet from my room and watch the boats and the water..i never made it to the spa next door which you get access to,but if thats your thing check it out. theyres still construction going on as of 9/15/11 but i never heard a thing while in the hotel. if you book an ocean view room you will not be disappointed.........

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We enjoyed our stay! I cannot understand a bad review on this hotel, I truly cannot. We had a lovely time. The amenities are plentiful, the staff cannot do enough, the food at the hotel restaurant was very good and it was a wonderful experience. We had a family above us and little ones running back and forth and we could hardly hear anything because the hotel construction is that good, the attention to details, the cleanliness, the room staff, the bedding was outstanding! Warm, soft and comfy bed linens, a large comfortable room and the bathroom were outstanding!

Sitting by the fire in the hotel entrance room was great fun! Lots of guests love to interact and mingle there because the hotel makes it so!

Eben the General Manager was wonderful and even followed up with me after our stay about a concern I had prior to our stay.

Please give this resort a try, you will not be disappointed!

We will be back to visit again. Thank you, Eben and the full staff.

Room Tip: Look for any Travel Specials!
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Accross the street from the hotel there was new construction this year. Make sure the work is completed or see about discounts on the room rate for inconvienience.

Room Tip: Best rooms face away from the sunset and peer out over the beautiful bar harbor. Sunset side is pret...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Niners007
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was a bit nervous booking this hotel based on its ranking and prior reviews, but I really wanted a hotel with a pool. We loved it. We had a king suite which was basically a very large hotel room but enough room for a pull out sofa and a cot and still room to move around. The room had a large balcony that overlooked the bay so we could see when it was low tide . We loved the access to The Bar Harbor Club and the pool and tennis and food service at the pool. My husband grew up going to Bar Harbor and has not been back for years so he enjoyed seeing the changes to The Bar Harbour club. We had breakfast at the hotel every day and it was good. Check in was easy and housekeeping brought us any extra blankets that we requested. I loved the location in town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family