“Not clean”

Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Minnetrista, Minnesota
“Not clean”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

For the price you pay it doesn't have the class. My husband and I came back to this hotel after staying here 8 years ago....our return trip was very disappointing. The room we had was very small and dirty. There was hair on the floor, dirty drawers in dresser, and very dusty. I went to turn on the light and bumped it and a layer of dust fell down. We switched rooms and it wasn't a ton better. I went to use the ice bucket and there was water and dirt from the last guest with a new plastic bag. They leave dishes from room service in the hall most of the day too. It is sad because this could be a very nice hotel if it was cleaned up.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This Hotel, looks so beautiful from all the photos and when you walk in... the lobby is so amazing. The rooms however are another story... although they are nice, they are not worth the price. You can hear everything above you and next to you and in the hall. I mean everything. You can't even watch tv from the bed unless you move the rather large tv stand. Our room was dirty with many things left behind from the previous guest..... including a bloody pillow!!! When I finally complained, I asked them to adjust my bill to what they thought was fair. The adjustment was 2%. Seriously...find a B&B and you will be so much happier.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 45649Deb50
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My wife and I had a great time at the hotel/resort ! The entire staff was always very friendly / courteous and helpful. ( and a special thanks to Lauren at the main desk ). And when i say staff.. I mean everone... from the cleaning staff, doormen, concierge ,restaurant staff and and the main desk.

The POOLS ( and there are two and 2 jacuzzi's ) were the best we observed at any of the other hotels in the area. ( we checked out about a dozen to compare ). The one larger Pool overlooks the bay and has a absolutely beautiful water view and is next to the big club house. It got a little busy there at times and we moved over to the smaller one on the other side of the resort- which still had a decent view and had a slightly more relaxing and mature atmosphere that we really liked. Food and drink service at both pools was great and was fun- although less hectic at the smaller pool because there wasn't the crowd from the wedding they were having at the resort that weekend. Unfortunately, we did not take advantage of the massage , and other amenities but we might this coming time!.

The restuarant for breakfeast was wonderful. We had the deal where one breakfeast was covered by the
deal we booked our room under. The food was great and had a ton of variety and we tried a different breakfeast meal every morning. I miss those blueberry pancakes !!

The location of the resort was another big plus. You could almost step out of the hotel, take a few minute walk and be on the main street of the town and it's many other restaurants and shops. ( the Harborside Hotel is only a few hundred feet aways as well ) . You're also next to the whale sight seeing boats and the sight see sailing ship ) . Note- the little restaurant right across from the hotel doesn;t look like much from the outside but our lunch there was very very tasty and it was very nice inside- I wish we had more time to go back there because I wanted to try the Lobster Roll after I saw the one my wife was served!! I was lobstered- out at the time and settled from a big tasty burger instead !!

downsides... depending on what room you book, you can overlook the parking lot..
Those rooms ( or a least most of them can see the water ( bay view )
Actually, the have an up side in that they can see the sunset and it was pretty darn quiet and peaceful on that side.
Actually it was pretty nice where I parked my card because they have trees and shrubs and you can see the bay and up ahead the pool and in the evening setting sun ... god, I guess I am a romantic!
Anyway, I beleive they are less expensive per night then the room we had and If you are like my wife and i, we really didn't spend a lot of time in the room.

One last thing, this resort is associated with the famous SAGAMORE on Lake George in NY. ( in which staying at is on my bucket list )

In summary... why are we going back to this particular hotel next year????
ANSWERS:
Great location and access to the town and boats and other restaurants
Great Service and very friendly.
VERY nice rooms
VERY CLEAN ROOMS AND HOTEL
Best pools we saw in BH!!
Wonderful breakfeasts !
and it's inBAR HARBOR , MAINE

Tony and Rosemay P

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony p
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We've just returned from 5 nights at this hotel, 4 for business, one pleasure. The first room we were assigned was an unacceptable location in this large complex. We were easily moved to one overlooking the 'harbor' which we enjoyed very much. While it was a long way to the front entrance, once at the front door the walk to town was short! One evening meal in the accompanying restaurant was good and the service was excellent. Aside from the unexplained 'resort fee,' our disappointments were irregular maid service (One day our room was skipped entirely and when I called for dry towels after being out all day, it took an hour for them to arrive.) and complimentary coffee available only after 7 AM when early morning walks and sunrise photos are major area activity.

Room Tip: Check assigned room. If not what you chose when making reservation, i.e. water view, ask for reassi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
West Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 September 2011

1) checkin is stated to be 4pm. Were early and stopped by to ask them to have our room ready as early as possible. We still didn't get in until 3:30

2) They added a $25 resort fee to the bill without stating in the rate quote they gave. I've stayed in probably 100 resorts and never heard of a resort fee. When I asked them where it was they said it was in the confirmation they emailed. Who reads confirmations. If the confirmation had said that there would be a $1,000 resort fee would they figure that would be collectible too. This is the most dishonest thing I've ever seen a hotel do.

3) Fitness center meager.

4) Expensive without the "resort fee" - much nicer places in bar harbor for the money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Gerry P
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 25 September 2011

This was a delightful hotel, accessible to Acadia National Park, and beautifully maintained including bright floral landscapes. We looked at different rooms and settled on the most modern section. The view, with flowers from our balcony, overlooked the pool and the harbor. We stayed for three nights and breakfast was a cheerful gourmet start to each day. The Forte pyramids of tea spoke to the quality and attention to detail. The high quality food and presentation was consistent whatever dish we ordered. We have admittedly high standards and the Harborside Hotel exceeded them. Many thanks to the professional staff. Close by is Bar Island and a most worthwhile walk at low tide.

Room Tip: Some rooms are modern, others traditional, and there are different views. Choose what suits your se...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pearleco
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We booked here 3 nights. Upon arrival we found we were upgraded to a 1-bdrm jacuzzi suite. This suite rented for $850/night. Wow! We hit the lottery! We had a wrap-around balcony with a jacuzzi at the end. It was furnished in colonial styling. Very clean. The kitchen had a micro, 2-burner cooktop, full-size refrig. The table seated 8. LR with love seat and 2 chairs with flatscreen TV. French doors to deck but no screen!! The bugs were terrible, so we couldn't leave the door open for air. The bedroom had 2 sliding doors to deck with screens. Perfect! Comfortable bed, hard pillows. Bathroom was huge, great shower. No hooks to hang anything. Vanity had 2 sinks and was small with no shelves to put toiletries. We used the jacuzzi several times but the hotel should furnish a step to get in and out of it. Very difficult to manuver. The hotel is newer, I think 2 or 3 years old. Great location for walking to town or just sitting on your balcony taking in the views. We saw a different cruise ship each day we were there. The pool was nice. It was starting off season so we had the pool to ourselves. Very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view or pool view room. Parking lot view does have partial water views beyond the c...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple